Rev. Jackson Faces Trial in Gun Shop Arrest

circpro

No Complaints here
Nov 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2007/08/06/881646-jackson-faces-trial-in-gun-shop-arrest

MARKHAM — The Rev. Jesse Jackson on Monday asked for a jury trial on trespassing charges stemming from his June arrest outside a gun shop where he was demonstrating in support of tougher gun laws.

A Cook County Circuit Court judge set a Nov. 26 jury trial for Jackson, 65, and the Rev. Michael Pfleger, a Catholic priest who oversees a South Side congregation. Both were arrested and charged with criminal trespass to property June 23 after they refused to move away from the entrance to Chuck's Gun Shop in Riverdale, just south of Chicago.

The men, prompted by the nearly three dozen public school students killed in Chicago during the past year, have held several protests at the gun shop to call for stricter gun laws. They say the shop's proximity to Chicago provides gang members and criminals easy access to firearms.

The issue of gun violence gained momentum in May after a 16-year-old honor student was fatally shot on a Chicago Transit Authority bus. Police said the shooting was gang-related and that Holt was not the intended target. Two teens have been charged as adults with taking part in the shooting.

If convicted, Jackson and Pfleger could face up to six months in jail, the Cook County state's attorney's office said.

Jackson told reporters after his court appearance that he plans to escalate his protests against the gun industry and wouldn't be deterred by the threat of jail.

"I'd rather spend time in jail than spend time at another funeral," Jackson said in a statement from his Rainbow/PUSH Coalition.

Jackson has been arrested about 15 times during his career as a civil rights leader, dating back to the 1960s when he worked closely with Martin Luther King Jr., said spokeswoman Rashida Restaino.

Pfleger called the arrest an intimidation tactic.

"If they somehow think they can stop us by intimidating us, we're not going anywhere. We're going to step up," he said.

Activists say they want to lower the city's murder rate by getting guns off the streets and making them more difficult to purchase. There were 466 homicides in Chicago in 2006, compared with 447 in 2005, which marked a 40-year low, police say.

"I'm not going to rest till we do something about this," said Holt's mother, Annette Holt, standing with Jackson on the courthouse steps.

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
What part of legal guns only kill criminals don't these waterheads get.

The gangs surely register their weapons....... uuuugh.

Idiocy.

Yo, Yo, Yo, Check disout.... Blingy hit ma gurl dawg. FO REAL! Yea, lets go down to " CHUCK'S GUN SHOP" an gets us sum avenge.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
compared with 447 in 2005, which marked a 40-year low
So, you're telling me that Chicago is happy with a 447 murder number? Thats more than have been killed in my state for the last three years combined.

The only logical remedy is to allow CITIZENS to have guns so they can kill the scum on the streets that think they can use illegal guns to push people around and to commit crime with such as robberies, ***** and murders.

God, you gotta hate the fucking lefties and their lack of logic.

Unarmed Populace =

Glenn Dandy

Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
So, you're telling me that Chicago is happy with a 447 murder number? Thats more than have been killed in my state for the last three years combined.

The only logical remedy is to allow CITIZENS to have guns so they can kill the scum on the streets that think they can use illegal guns to push people around and to commit crime with such as robberies, ***** and murders.

God, you gotta hate the fucking lefties and their lack of logic.

Unarmed Populace =
ROGER THAT!

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Look up the story of Josiah Sweet. The first Illinois gun laws were meant to hurt black people.

It's gotten to the point that if I was a gun dealer I'd refuse to sell to black people because of the damned baggage.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
Look up the story of Josiah Sweet. The first Illinois gun laws were meant to hurt black people.

It's gotten to the point that if I was a gun dealer I'd refuse to sell to black people because of the damned baggage.

It's always about the blacks being hurt isn't it :rolleyes:

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
lock that uppity sparkling wiggle up

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
it will make him less of a martyr than he deserves

Kool Aid

I'm the worst-of
Aug 18, 2005
IN MY PROJECTS
I stumbled onto him on XM the other day and couldn't understand a single thing he said...he really can't talk, how can he be a preacher and not communicate effectively...

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
I stumbled onto him on XM the other day and couldn't understand a single thing he said...he really can't talk, how can he be a preacher and not communicate effectively...
when your lying to people its better that they hear what they want and not necessarily what your saying

Glenn Dandy

Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
They never snipped Hitler.

It'sa judgement call, someone smarter might take his place.... n ~shit.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
wish that XM would pick up the NRANEWS show...
Yeah it sucks dick that Sirius has it but not XM. I'd listen to that fuckin channel after I get tired of the gayness of Opie & Anthony playing with intern cocks every other day.

Treat_Yourself

Nov 17, 2006

Yeah, then watch Jesse Jackson protest your store for NOT selling guns to blacks.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Wish Jessie would do something about all the black gangbangers killing innocent people. Maybe hold a NRA pistol safety course or two in 'da hood.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
What part of legal guns only kill criminals don't these waterheads get.

The gangs surely register their weapons....... uuuugh.

Idiocy.

Yo, Yo, Yo, Check disout.... Blingy hit ma gurl dawg. FO REAL! Yea, lets go down to " CHUCK'S GUN SHOP" an gets us sum avenge.
It's easier to go after the gun industry than to try to get blacks to stop shooting each other.

circpro

No Complaints here
Nov 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Yeah it sucks dick that Sirius has it but not XM. I'd listen to that fuckin channel after I get tired of the gayness of Opie & Anthony playing with intern cocks every other day.
no need to worry...after the merger you can listen all you like...