Richard Huff Knows Nothing About the Writer Strike...

Redding

Why can't us?
Mar 20, 2005
Bristol, PA
my girlfriend was losing her mind after hearing Richard Huff talk at the end of the FM show today.....

How can he not know its about the minimums and about the residual percentage. All the information about the strike can be found with a little research on Wikipedia and the Writers guild website. Just to clear some things up:

1. not every writer is guaranteed phenominal money when they renegoiate a contract they are negotiating the minimum amount they must be paid...this does not mean a writer a big show (ex lost) cant negotiate for more then the minimum .

2. the other major issue is the residual percentage... writers are currently making less then 1% off residuals (DVD sales, downloads etc) on material that if they didnt create it....it wouldnt exist! This issue came up before during the last writer strike...and during that strike they said one thing that was not going to change was technology...people in the future are going to have ways to get tv shows and movies...today its DVD's, Tivo and downloading...if a movie is released in theaters its makes approximately 20 times more in DVD sales and rentals...and the writers make less then 1% of that!

and so ends her rant....

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I don't normally side with unions, but the writers don't seem to be asking for too much this time.

RMPGP

Feb 16, 2006
This issue came up before during the last writer strike...and during that strike they said one thing that was not going to change was technology...
Hi Redding. Is your chick a member of the union like Dave? If so that's cool.

I quoted the above because I'm not sure what this means. Could she elaborate? Why did they say the technology wasn't going to change?