Richard Lugar loses primary to Tea Party challenger Mourdock

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Richard Lugar loses primary to Tea Party challenger Mourdock

By Brian Montopoli Topics Congress ,Campaign 2012
Senator Richard Lugar, R-Ind., on 'Face the Nation,' Sunday, March 20, 2011.
(Credit: CBS)
Sen. Richard Lugar - the longest-serving senator in Indiana history - will lose his Republican Senate primary on Tuesday to state Treasurer Richard Mourdock, CBS News projects.
With 62 percent of the expected vote in, the Tea Party-backed Mourdock leads Lugar 60 percent to 40 percent.

Lugar's exit from the Senate could contribute to the further polarization of an already bitterly-divided Congress.
Lugar, 80, has served in the Senate since 1976. The top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, he is known for his extensive work on crafting bipartisan foreign policy, which has included reaching across the aisle to pass legislation with Democrat Sam Nunn to disarm nuclear warheads in the former Soviet Union. Lugar's willingness to work with Democrats made him a target: Mourdock ran ads showing President Obama discussing reaching out to Lugar as evidence that the six-term senator should be defeated.
The 60-year-old Mourdock, who told the New York Times it is "time for confrontation" as opposed to collegiality, also criticized Lugar for supporting the "Wall Street bailout," President Obama's Supreme Court nominees and raising the debt limit. His message was amplified by the Tea Party-aligned FreedomWorks, which held "activist training" sessions and made phone calls on Mourdock's behalf, and the super PAC Club for Growth, which spent more than $1.4 million on the race.
Mourdock and his allies also spotlighted the fact that Lugar no longer seemed to live in the state that he represents: In March, he was declared ineligible to vote in his home precinct, having effectively moved his family to suburban Washington in 1977 after selling his house in Indiana.

They also argued that despite his lifetime rating of 77 out of 100 from the American Conservative Union - a rating that reflects a relatively conservative voting record - Lugar had drifted to the left of the conservative Indiana Republican electorate.
The race was being closely watched in the Senate, where it was taken as the latest sign that cooperation across the aisle may well result in defeat. The 2010 midterm elections resulted in the defeat of Utah Sen. Robert Bennett, who had a similar reputation to that of Lugar, at the hands of Tea Party activists.
Democrats celebrated Mourdock's victory, which they said would put the seat up for grabs. (One Democratic poll in March showed The Democratic candidate, Rep. Joe Donnelly, leading Mourdock in a head-to-head race.) Republican need a net gain of four seats to take control of the Senate, and they are expected to at least come close to doing so. Donnelly, a conservative Democrat, supports gun rights and the Keystone pipeline and opposes abortion rights and climate change legislation.

"Tonight's results make the Indiana Senate race a toss-up race," said Guy Cecil, Executive Director of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_...ses-primary-to-tea-party-challenger-mourdock/

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Judging by the apocalyptic tone of the article, I will go ahead and say that this is a fantastically good thing.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
He's been in that office since I was born. No one should be in office that long, no matter what the letter next to his name. Good, get the fuck out.

Von Maestro

Mar 12, 2010
He's been in that office since I was born. No one should be in office that long, no matter what the letter next to his name. Good, get the fuck out.
^^^^^ SO THIS!!!!

Term limits for every single elected office in the country!

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
If I was 80 and had the money of a senator, I would have been retired for 15 years and doing something fun. Why do they want to do this shit til they die?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
One hundred billion trillion percent this. Public SERVICE. Not Public OFFICE. Serve, then leave.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Within 15 comments on the fark thread: "2012 is going to be a bloodbath for the GOP. Me likey."

Are they really that delusional on the left? Do they really not see how unhappy America is with this administration?

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Within 15 comments on the fark thread: "2012 is going to be a bloodbath for the GOP. Me likey."

Are they really that delusional on the left? Do they really not see how unhappy America is with this administration?
Why do you subject yourself to Fark comment threads? It's not even funny how fucking stupid those retards are.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I never look at the Fark political comments. Other subjects are ok. In fact, I kinda stay away from anything political on Fark as it is.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Why do you subject yourself to Fark comment threads? It's not even funny how fucking stupid those retards are.
I like the non-political threads. But I like to dip my toe in from time to time to see how the other half derps.

I usually can't make it past 30 or so posts. Just enough to know what flavor of idiocy they are using.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
The problem is some idiot always makes a comment about Romney or Sarah Palin or even worse, the 99% and makes it political.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Sooooo this.

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
funny how the media only frets about bipartisanship when it's a moderate Republican possibly being replaced by a true conservative. You will never read an article with a tone like this if it was a moderate Democrat being deposed by a full-on leftie.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
while I'm not really in favor of term limits because it would require amending the US Constitution, It disgusts me to see anyone in office for so long, the professional politician is one of the flaws of a democracy

with that being, Dick Lugar is someone who probably should have been POTUS, especially when you consider what fuckos that last two have been

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
The last time a moderate democrat was seen the media used was parchment and smoke signals, so there wasn't much chance to get all worked up.

What about Bill Clinton ?
As POTUS he governed more like a Republican than W did

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
What about Bill Clinton ?
As POTUS he governed more like a Republican than W did
Hush, you're rooning the narrative. Every Conservative is compassionate and moderate and every Liberal is the most whacko zealot ever to hold office.