Rick Shapiro is being screwed over!

zagman76

Wackbagger, Geek, Administrator
Wackbag Staff
Nov 18, 2004
Long Island, NY
Apparently Rick had filmed a bunch of material he was going to use for a DVD, but the masters are being held by the producer/club owner who refuses to release them, even though he lost the court case!

Here is video of the owner/producer being served!
[yt]DHMNhCVA8x0[/yt]

For those not familiar with Rick:
Here is his IMDb page. He was on Lucky Louie with Louis CK and Jimmy.
Here is his web-site.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
What's the back story behind the dispute of ownership?

ricksmanager

Apr 23, 2007
Los Angeles
I was hoping this wouldn't be released.. at least not until the article in www.thecomicbible.com winter issue comes out... but the back story is that Ricky taped a DVD in NYC during the blizzard (12.26.10) and the investor is refusing to give Rick the materials--he was legally proven to be in breach of contract. Rick won the masters+ in a lawsuit.. all fair, all legal.. This situation is really upsetting..

fulldevilsoccer

Jul 2, 2009
Sounds like he's 10 dollars per gig from Bobo's status in the stand-up circuit.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I still don't understand though, why won't he give him the material?

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
I'm not a lawyer, but a sheriff is suppose to do what he was elected to do.

Best of luck getting the system to work.

zagman76

Wackbagger, Geek, Administrator
Wackbag Staff
Nov 18, 2004
Long Island, NY
From what I can tell from the video, and the other info, it's one of those situations like this:
Cop: "You're under arrest"
Perp: "No I'm not!"
Cop: "Now you're under arrest for resisting!"
--

Rick sued for the masters / breach of contract and won. The guy still didn't release the material, so Rick filed against the guy again for not following the previous court's orders.

I'm not a lawyer, but a sheriff is suppose to do what he was elected to do.

Best of luck getting the system to work.
From the info at the end of the vid, and given that this is taking place in LA - I'm sure the sheriff has other things to worry about (hence the new papers being served).

ricksmanager

Apr 23, 2007
Los Angeles
One would think, hope, wish, its that easy... now its like a campaign.. spread the word, we are trying to get this situation exposed...

From what I can tell from the video, and the other info, it's one of those situations like this:
Cop: "You're under arrest"
Perp: "No I'm not!"
Cop: "Now you're under arrest for resisting!"
--

Rick sued for the masters / breach of contract and won. The guy still didn't release the material, so Rick filed against the guy again for not following the previous court's orders.

From the info at the end of the vid, and given that this is taking place in LA - I'm sure the sheriff has other things to worry about (hence the new papers being served).

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
What a scumbag. I hope that piece of shit gets arrested and loses his club. The judge should order him to eat Rick's ass for no less than 30 minutes.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
When you get the masters back, need an editor?

Avid certified with 12 years experience, and access to an Avid rig whenever I need.

Shameless self-promotion

Off-White-Power

High maintenance, low tolerance
May 12, 2007
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Was just recently thinking about Rick and what he's been up to. His stories were pure radio gold. The boys need to have him back on soon.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Not really sure if that was a slag.. but the issue here is justice... do you know how many comedians get screwed over by Producers...
I hear a lot. Why does that happen so often? Shitty management?

;) sorry. could not resist. it was just laying there, waiting for me.

ricksmanager

Apr 23, 2007
Los Angeles
I wish I could take the blame for this.. everything was done to the letter.. lawyers, contracts.. but then people simply decide to show their true colors.. this man come into Rick's home, sat with us, gave his creds... and then just fucked Rick over.. I think the bigger issue is people taking responsibility for their actions.. you know.. like consequences... sooooo many comics get fucked over, it's time for JUSTICE, it's time to call people on their shit...

ricksmanager

Apr 23, 2007
Los Angeles
hey.. check out his website.. lots going on.. new CD to be released in March, movie, PROJECT X (MARCH).. book.. March... we'd love to get Rick back on the show.. but I guess that will happen when everything hits...

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
who knows Man.. just may have Rick knock at your door with a box of tapes..
Well, if you get in a bind feel free to PM me. I can digitize anything from 3/4" U-Matic to BetacamSP to... well anything. Big celebrity friend of the board discount, too.

Stig

Wackbag's New Favorite Heel
Jul 26, 2005
NH
That's the problem with winning a lawsuit. Judge says "Pay." Person doesn't pay. There's no mechanism to go arrest the non-payer.

Arch Stanton

It's all about the funny!
Nov 22, 2004
Long Island
Just pretend the master was destroyed, or left in the back seat of a cab. Shoot it again and it will be better then the first one.