RIM unveils BlackBerry 10, signaling hope for new start

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Research In Motion Ltd on Wednesday unveiled a long-delayed line of smartphones it says will put the company on the comeback trail in a market it once dominated, promising its BlackBerry 10 devices will wow consumers and businesses alike when they hit stores.

Signaling his hopes for a fresh start for the company that pioneered on-your-hip email, Chief Executive Officer Thorsten Heins said RIM was abandoning the name it has used since its inception in 1985. From now on, he told tech analysts and other guests, the company will just be known as BlackBerry.

The new BlackBerry 10 phones will compete with Apple's iPhone and devices using Google's Android technology, both of which have soared above the BlackBerry in a competitive market.

The BlackBerry 10 phones boast fast browsers, new features, smart cameras and, unlike previous models, enter the market primed with a large app library.

"We have definitely been on a journey of transformation, a journey to not only transform our business and our brand, but one which I truly believe will transform mobile communications into true mobile computing," Heins said at a New York launch event.

"It's been almost one year exactly since I was handed the reins at Research In Motion, and it has been easily the most challenging year of my career to date. It has also been by far the most exhilarating and the most rewarding one."

RIM picked a range of venues for its global launch parties. Toronto's announcement was in the downtown art deco Carlu rooms, while the Dubai event was held at the $650-a-night Armani hotel, which occupies six floors of the Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest tower.

The New York event took place in a sprawling basketball facility on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, just north of the Manhattan bridge. The Blackberry has been "Re-designed. Re-engineered. Re-invented," RIM said.

(Writing by Janet Guttsman; Editing by Frank McGurty and Lisa Von Ahn)
http://news.yahoo.com/rim-starts-gl...RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

I'm not seeing any photos in that article.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I liked that thing the keyboard was doing with popping the words above the letters.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I like the split personality feature. So you have your business phone and your personal phone kept separate. This will appeal to a lot of people that are forced to carry two phones because of strict corporate policies. This thing might have a chance.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
The more competition, the better...so I do hope Blackberry does well. I have my doubts though. I, personally, have had to get accustomed (and spent money on) apps for Apple, WebOS, Android, and Windows (though I refuse to use it). I've settled on Android/Google...and I wouldn't want to move to a whole new interface. Unless...of course, I can use Play Store on the new Blackberry.

Seems like it does have some pretty useful features. That camera timeshift thing looks really cool. Still would prefer a 4.5-5.0 inch screen though.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
The more competition, the better...so I do hope Blackberry does well. I have my doubts though. I, personally, have had to get accustomed (and spent money on) apps for Apple, WebOS, Android, and Windows (though I refuse to use it). I've settled on Android/Google...and I wouldn't want to move to a whole new interface. Unless...of course, I can use Play Store on the new Blackberry.
Fuck blackberry in their asses. I think they were lazy thinking people would never switch from what was basically the only smart phones at the time to iPhone. Now they are trying to play catch up.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
I didn't know that RIM is also changing the company name to BlackBerry also, and dropping "Research In Motion". Dumb name anyway.

Well, as mentioned...their stock has been taking an absolute beating since Monday. Trading at 17.90 early Monday...and closed at 13.86 today. Looks like alot of people are bailing and know full well that people just aren't going to get behind this rebranding. And yup...it's their own fault. Apple and Google just swallowed them up. Doesn't help that they had numerous significant service interruptions. They'll no doubt, go the way of Palm/HP WebOS. Then there's Microsoft trying to get their foot in the mobile tech door. Competition is good...but I think Android and iOS are pretty much in control.

Wrecktum

Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
If they were smart they'd just start making Android phones.
If they were smart they would have tried to improve their own soft and hardware when they were kings of the smart phone. But they got lazy and tried to shoehorn gimicky phones like that weird clicky touch screen shit phone.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
If they were smart they'd just start making Android phones.
I was thinking about this earlier... OAPC mentioned liking the ability to keep your business and personal stuff separate (and I agree)... what might find them a market is creating an Android phone with a separate OS/operating environment for corporate use. You can download everything from the Android market just like you would do, but when you hit one shortcut it takes you into your business environment which Blackberry develops specifically for their phones... and it can have all the shit businesses love like added encryption and so on.

Also, is there a reason no cell phones have two phone lines? Google Voice works good enough for me, but it seems like a lot of people would benefit from having two actual lines on their phone (business and personal), two voicemail inboxes, and the ability to turn either line on or off whenever you want (sending those calls to the respective inbox). Would that take two radios in the phone or what?

Wrecktum

Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
I could see some hilarity happining when some business executive accidently sends pictures to the whole company with a ball gag in his mouth and dildo in his ass.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
There are dual-sim phones out there, but you generally can't run both numbers at the whole time. Otherwise you'd need two separate radios and you would get half the battery life.
That makes sense... I guess until battery technology has some major advances that isn't really a viable option.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
BB's need to run their Corporate Server hardware is really what's sending them to the crapper. Now that Android and Apple offer architecture to integrate their systems into corporate IT networks, nobody wants to deal with Blackberry and their silly requirements

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
Another OS that's prolly not compatible with the cool apps I have now? Reinventing the wheel for a horseless carriage.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Not only is it not compatible...most of the apps in the Play Store and Apple App Store aren't even available on BlackBerry. Kinda like the problem Windows has and WebOS had. People want options and people don't want to have to pay for all of their apps over again 2, 3 times over...not to mention learn a whole new OS. Microsoft stands a better chance at competing than BlackBerry at this point. Everyone is more familiar with Microsoft than BlackBerry. Heck, most of us use a Microsoft product every day.

As Don pointed out...BlackBerry brand Android phones would be the smart thing to do to stay relevant. Even then, they'd have a steep hill to climb, but I know I'd consider buying one if it's well built and they advance the technology a bit to challenge Samsung, HTC, and Apple.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Not only is it not compatible...most of the apps in the Play Store and Apple App Store aren't even available on BlackBerry. Kinda like the problem Windows has and WebOS had. People want options and people don't want to have to pay for all of their apps over again 2, 3 times over...not to mention learn a whole new OS. Microsoft stands a better chance at competing than BlackBerry at this point. Everyone is more familiar with Microsoft than BlackBerry. Heck, most of us use a Microsoft product every day.
That's exactly why I decided to go with Android. Always having my paid apps available while not being tied to essentially one device my entire life.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
That's exactly why I decided to go with Android. Always having my paid apps available while not being tied to essentially one device my entire life.
I think that's why I switched to Android as well. With Apple, you have a choice of iPhone...black or white...16gb, 32gb, etc. But that's generally about it. Android gives you a choice of Samsung, HTC, LG, Pantech, etc...all different styles, sizes, features. Granted I've never had an Apple device crap out on me and their OS is pretty simple to run...but nothing really beats the variety of devices that run Android and of course, the customization.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I think that's why I switched to Android as well. With Apple, you have a choice of iPhone...black or white...16gb, 32gb, etc. But that's generally about it. Android gives you a choice of Samsung, HTC, LG, Pantech, etc...all different styles, sizes, features. Granted I've never had an Apple device crap out on me and their OS is pretty simple to run...but nothing really beats the variety of devices that run Android and of course, the customization.
Exactly... and I'm someone who is constantly re-evaluating what I want from a device. Started with the HTC Droid Incredible, but then went to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus which I have been very happy with (although the Incredible was a solid phone also, still use it as an MP3 player). I think the Galaxy-style phones are what I'm going to stick with for a while, but in five years who knows? With Apply, you never have the option to jump around like that.

Actually I just flashed my first ROM today and I don't know why I waited so long... it's an entirely new device.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Exactly... and I'm someone who is constantly re-evaluating what I want from a device. Started with the HTC Droid Incredible, but then went to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus which I have been very happy with (although the Incredible was a solid phone also, still use it as an MP3 player). I think the Galaxy-style phones are what I'm going to stick with for a while, but in five years who knows? With Apply, you never have the option to jump around like that.

Actually I just flashed my first ROM today and I don't know why I waited so long... it's an entirely new device.
Love flashing ROM's especially since I have an HTC Rezound and they took their sweet old time upgrading from gingerbread. I'm now waiting for an expert developer on XDA to fix all the bugs on his version of Jellybean 4.2. I'm running his (IamTheOneTheyCallNeo is his username, just in case you see him over there...he's brilliant) 4.1 Rage ROM and it is a thing of beauty.

My wife has a Galaxy Nexus (stock) and loves it. She dropped her Rezound in the sink and it died...but was able to buy a Nexus for like, $240. Great phone...very solidly built compared to my Rezound, which isn't at good. But running a custom ROM makes all the difference in the world.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Love flashing ROM's especially since I have an HTC Rezound and they took their sweet old time upgrading from gingerbread. I'm now waiting for an expert developer on XDA to fix all the bugs on his version of Jellybean 4.2. I'm running his (IamTheOneTheyCallNeo is his username, just in case you see him over there...he's brilliant) 4.1 Rage ROM and it is a thing of beauty.

My wife has a Galaxy Nexus (stock) and loves it. She dropped her Rezound in the sink and it died...but was able to buy a Nexus for like, $240. Great phone...very solidly built compared to my Rezound, which isn't at good. But running a custom ROM makes all the difference in the world.
Yeah I didn't go crazy, just went with AOKP 4.2... basically stock with a thousand options. Was using go launcher but nova launcher that came with the Rom has the same features (for $4 prime version) and is smoother, so think I'll stick with that.

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
NW Ohio
How the fuck do I ditch apple at this point. 2 iphones, an ipad, apple tv, thousand(s) of dollars in itunes media. I love my apple devices but can't stand that I feel trapped.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
How the fuck do I ditch apple at this point. 2 iphones, an ipad, apple tv, thousand(s) of dollars in itunes media. I love my apple devices but can't stand that I feel trapped.
Why do you feel the need to ditch Apple? They make fine products.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I was thinking about this earlier... OAPC mentioned liking the ability to keep your business and personal stuff separate (and I agree)... what might find them a market is creating an Android phone with a separate OS/operating environment for corporate use. You can download everything from the Android market just like you would do, but when you hit one shortcut it takes you into your business environment which Blackberry develops specifically for their phones... and it can have all the shit businesses love like added encryption and so on.

Also, is there a reason no cell phones have two phone lines? Google Voice works good enough for me, but it seems like a lot of people would benefit from having two actual lines on their phone (business and personal), two voicemail inboxes, and the ability to turn either line on or off whenever you want (sending those calls to the respective inbox). Would that take two radios in the phone or what?
Im pretty sure Nextel even had two lines and that was years ago.