Ring of Honor Appreciation Thread

FAngel

I Drink YOUR Milkshake!
http://www.rohwrestling.com

It's about time we had one of these.

Since we're all internet fans here, I'm sure a lot of us have at least heard of Ring of Honor, known to the loyal ones as ROH. They're not on TV, and the only means of promotion and distribution has been based entirely on the internet. Because of this, a lot of their hardcore fans can be elitist pricks and start bitching about the slightest thing in the world.

That being said, if WWE and TNA aren't doing anything for you, you owe it to yourself to check out some ROH DVD's. I've only been to about 5 shows myself, but I have never, ever been disappointed with one of their shows. They don't have the glamourous feel of something that spends a lot of time in production, like what you would be used to seeing on TV. There's a ring, some lights, and maybe a little bit of smoke for some entrances. The bulk of the shows is in the wrestling, with matches often going to one-hour draws, something you usually don't see anymore from the big names.

I could go on and babble some more, but I'd rather some of the other Wackbaggers throw in their own comments here.

commish13

Personal Friend of Chris Jericho
And if you can, get to a show nearby. General admission is only 20 bucks, and in most places GA seating is quite good.

I'll be at their next NYC show on December 23, then their second and third shows of 2006 (or second and fourth, since they'll likely run a Friday show somewhere for the Anniversary weekend before the big one in Philly) on January 27 in Edison, NJ and on February 17 in Philly.

For those not familiar with the product, go here for a good list of shows you can't lose with and talent to look for.

Swamp CAve

aka Fuzzy Dunlop
Yeah, I hear a lot of good things about ROH from here and other places.

Anyone know if there are still tickets available for that Dec 23rd show? I'd like to check it out because they never bring shows to North Carolina.

Holy crap...ROH is awesome. I missed the last event on Long Island (at Sports Plus in Lake Grove) b/c I had to work, but I've been to 3 events there over the last year, and each one was better than just about anything I've seen on WWE.

There was a Triple Threat match between AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels and Matt Sydal last November that was probably the best match I've ever seen (live) in my life.

Next time they're coming to Long Island is 4/13.

Sutsu

O&A Po'ty ROCK!
Been to two ROH shows, both in Long Island. First was the Eddie Guerrero tribute. Second was when CM Punk made a guest appearance (and verbally chopped the ever loving shit outta my brother). Both times were excellent, and I plan on going back sometime soon. They have a much higher work ethic than I think a lot of mainstream wrestlers do, and they don't deal with the storyline bullshit to the same level as the nationals do. They keep it on real in ring wrestling talent, where it should be.

Sutsu said:
Been to two ROH shows, both in Long Island. First was the Eddie Guerrero tribute. Second was when CM Punk made a guest appearance (and verbally chopped the ever loving shit outta my brother).
Yeah - the Tribite show was the Triple Threat match I mentioned. I couldn't believe how over the Fallen Angel was. I think the building was shaking with everybody jumping up and down and screaming for him.

I missed that 2nd one. It was the weekend of the Blizzard, and I got stuck working through the weekend.

Kyle

Mr. Bananagrabber
RealMan'sMan said:
There was a Triple Threat match between AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels and Matt Sydal last November that was probably the best match I've ever seen (live) in my life.
That's all well and good, but I'm sure it was nowhere near as good as the best match I've ever seen live:

Mabel vs. Savio Vega in the 1995 King Of The Ring Finals.

Pure non-stop action!

FAngel

I Drink YOUR Milkshake!
Swamp CAve said:
Yeah, I hear a lot of good things about ROH from here and other places.

Anyone know if there are still tickets available for that Dec 23rd show? I'd like to check it out because they never bring shows to North Carolina.
Yup, you can still go to ROH's website and order from there, or I think www.tickets.com is also selling them.

Word around town is that more than a few Wackbaggers will be there for this show. I'm gonna see if I can get out of work, but Christmas Eve Eve is a tough one.

commish13

I'll be there, second row. General Admission is still available right now, but likely won't be for long, and chances are you won't be able to get them at the door, as they were sold out last time and this is only their second time running the venue. Show up really early, though, because unless they change it, you're not gonna see shit if you aren't in the first few rows of GA. I got lucky and was able to stand on a pair of seats with very few people behind me, so I saw perfectly, but I don't know how that'll work out this time.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Been to a few ROH shows myself. Love it more than anything going on TV right now.

A lot of their top stars are the X-Divsion guys in TNA, Styles, Joe, Jay Lethal, Austin Aries, Lo Ki, Homicide, for those who have never seen an ROH show.

Jack Evans is one of the greatest high flyers you will ever see in a wrestling ring. And one of the coolest guys you will ever meet outside of one. I was talking with him for a few hours outside of The New Yorker Hotel before the ROH show Manhatten Mayhem (which I HIGHLY recommend picking up the DVD for).

It was also at ROH that I saw one of the greatest matches I have ever seen live. Final Battle 2004(it was on my birfday!) Samoa Joe defending the title against Austin Aries, who had come to be my favourite ROH guy). Phenominal match.

And I can think of at least three shows I have been to, where I have been standing in GA during the main event, looked to my side, and there was Nigel McGuiness, former ROH Pure Champion, standing right next to me also enjoying the match.

Love the ROH

commish13

Low Ki, Lethal and Styles are no longer in ROH, by the way.

At the last show I went to, Glory By Honor V, Night 2 in Manhattan, Xavier was next to us sitting with his kid in GA watching the show, and Chris Daniels and Colt Cabana were standing behind us off to the side. I got to shake Samoa Joe's hand at the merch table, and Roderick Strong helped me find a DVD that my stupid friend almost lost. Good fun.

MilitantRabbit

Back...and still sucks...
The first ROH event I went to was Death Before Dishonor '03 at the Rexplex in Elizabeth, NJ. The second was Weekend of Thunder Night 2 with Jushin "Thunder" Liger in 2004.

Sutsu said:
Been to two ROH shows, both in Long Island. First was the Eddie Guerrero tribute. Second was when CM Punk made a guest appearance (and verbally chopped the ever loving shit outta my brother).
That was your brother? That's fucking awesome, and Punk rules to no end. If all you've seen of him is is WWECW work you haven't seen a tenth of how great he is.

I've been to two ROH shows, one in Philly and one in Manhattan (I need an excuse to visit the East Coast) and I had a great time at both. Forget what Dana White says, this is that wrestling fans should watch when they reach 16. ROH is pro wrestling at its best — wild action, smart matches, well-done angles, and fun characters. Even the silly things (i.e. Delirious) are marvelous.

And it was ROH that brought Kenta Kobashi, the true wrestling god, to the U.S.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
MilitantRabbit said:
The first ROH event I went to was Death Before Dishonor '03 at the Rexplex in Elizabeth, NJ. The second was Weekend of Thunder Night 2 with Jushin "Thunder" Liger in 2004.
Your second ROH show was the show where I popped my ROH cherry. The Rexplex rocked.

Sutsu

O&A Po'ty ROCK!
Reaper G said:
That was your brother? That's fucking awesome, and Punk rules to no end. If all you've seen of him is is WWECW work you haven't seen a tenth of how great he is.
I'm so glad I saw Punk that night because he's been the only reason I would tune into ECW and berate it because I know he's being held back. Anytime I tell fellow wrestling fans what his real finishing move is, the Pepsi Plunge, they all just stare at me dumbfounded and say "Wow, awesome!" He's the future of this business as soon as he gets a legitimate shot. Which unfortunately probably won't happen in WWE.

And yeah, it was awesome watching my bro get torn down, he's Mr. way too serious guy. He was bitching about it the whole way home, too.

Steam

Was debating going to the show in Hartford next Friday but I'm going home that weekend so I'm fucked. Maybe next year I will venture out.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
So, can we get a roll call for baggers going to Final Battle?

I know Bagel Lord and Flying Standby will be there.

commish13

I'll be there. Second row, section C I believe.

Redding

Why can't us?
I love ROH been a fan since day 1 saw my first show at the murphy rec center before they outgrew the place....i was there for the night of the butcher (Paul London vs Brian Danielson was one of the best matches i have seen live) and final battle 2002 (First time i saw Samoa Joe he rocked back then too)

Standby

Better Than [you]
Wackbag Staff
Bagel Lord and Flying Standby will be there. 8th row seats.

I really wish they would expand and do some shows closer to where I live. Even Baltimore would be worth a drive up. Right now the closest thing to DC is the Philly show...

I've only been to the 4th anniversary show because I was visiting my parents in NJ then, and Edison is like 15 minutes away. What an unbelievable show, 4 to 5 hours of solid wrestling. I had no idea that's what I'd be getting going into it. I really need to find a way to get to more shows...

But Final Battle 06 should be huge. Can't wait, the card's already shaping up.

ROH World Title Match
Bryan Danielson defends vs. Homicide with Julius Smokes

Dragon Gate Rules
Austin Aries, Roderick Strong & Delirious vs. Matt Sydal, Shingo & CIMA

Special Challenge Match
Samoa Joe vs. Nigel McGuinness

Grudge Tag Team Match
BJ Whitmer & Colt Cabana vs. Jimmy Jacobs & Brent Albright

Four Corner Survival Match
Christopher Daniels vs. Jimmy Rave vs. Davey Richards vs. El Generico

Chris Hero's farewell to Claudio Castagnoli

Kind of sad to see Claudio leaving, always liked him. HEY!

commish13

They ran Glen Bernie, MD a couple times, once in '03 and once in '04. Dunno why they don't do shows there anymore. Probably not great draws.

sinAtra

not safe for werk
who dat?

MilitantRabbit said:
MiRab, who's holdin' the beer in your sig pic? You? Gerry Cooney? Help me out - I got money on this.

Standby

Better Than [you]
Wackbag Staff
commish13 said:
They ran Glen Bernie, MD a couple times, once in '03 and once in '04. Dunno why they don't do shows there anymore. Probably not great draws.
Wish I knew about ROH back then. Shit, I'd love to see them closer to home. Maybe I'll have to seek out Cary and thank him and hint that they've got fans down in the DC area :)

Moneysnatch25

White people are so scared.... of black people
My first introduction to ROH was the infamous "Jeff Hardy" incident at Death Before Dishonor 2003. For those of you who dont know, this was the show that Hardy got booed the hell out of by the crowd. (interestingly enough one of his opponents that night was Joey Matthews) After hearing about that show I bought the tape and immediately fell in love with the product. My first LIVE ROH show was on June 12, 2005, The Future Is Now. This show was the same night as the ECW PPV and was quite possibly one of the best wrestling nights of my life. I was psyched when they added Cleveland as one of their regular stops but I have gladly driven to Dayton to see them. Unfortunately, Cleveland has since been removed from their tour dates for the forseeable future and that sucks, but there is always Dayton, Chicago and Detroit. ROH is well worth the drive and the ticket price...