Robbers shot and killed in the act, NAACP cries racism

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
This story is too fucking unbelievable:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ikqw_We7ScSdB3IfJNgIyF5nlZUQD8SUC12G0

LAKEPORT, Calif. (AP) — Three young black men break into a white man's home in rural Northern California. The homeowner shoots two of them to death — but it's the surviving black man who is charged with murder.

In a case that has brought cries of racism from civil rights groups, Renato Hughes Jr., 22, was charged by prosecutors in this overwhelmingly white county under a rarely invoked legal doctrine that could make him responsible for the bloodshed.

He is scheduled to go on trial Nov. 27.

"It was pandemonium" inside the house that night, District Attorney Jon Hopkins said. Hughes was responsible for "setting the whole thing in motion by his actions and the actions of his accomplices."

Prosecutors said homeowner Shannon Edmonds opened fire Dec. 7 after three young men rampaged through the Clearlake house demanding marijuana and brutally beat his stepson. Rashad Williams, 21, and Christian Foster, 22, were shot in the back. Hughes fled.

Hughes was charged with first-degree murder under California's Provocative Act doctrine, versions of which have been on the books in many states for generations but are rarely used.

The Provocative Act doctrine does not require prosecutors to prove the accused intended to kill. Instead, "they have to show that it was reasonably foreseeable that the criminal enterprise could trigger a fatal response from the homeowner," said Brian Getz, a San Francisco defense attorney unconnected to the case.

The NAACP complained that prosecutors came down too hard on Hughes, who also faces robbery, burglary and assault charges. Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty.

The Rev. Amos Brown, head of the San Francisco chapter of the NAACP and pastor at Hughes' church, said the case demonstrates the legal system is racist in remote Lake County, aspiring wine country 100 miles north of San Francisco. The sparsely populated county of 13,000 people is 91 percent white and 2 percent black.

Brown and other NAACP officials are asking why the homeowner is walking free. Tests showed Edmonds had marijuana and prescription medication in his system the night of the shooting. Edmonds had a prescription for both the pot and the medication to treat depression.

"This man had no business killing these boys," Brown said. "They were shot in the back. They had fled."

The district attorney said that race played no part in the charges against Hughes and that the homeowner was spared prosecution because of evidence he was defending himself and his family, who were asleep when the assailants barged in at 4 a.m.

Edmonds' stepson, Dale Lafferty, suffered brain damage from the baseball bat beating he took during the melee. The 19-year-old lives in a rehabilitation center and can no longer feed himself.

"I didn't do anything wrong. All I did was defend my family and my children's lives," said Edmonds, 33. "I'm sad the kids are dead, I didn't mean to kill them."

He added: "Race has nothing to do with it other than this was a gang of black people who thought they were going to beat up this white family."

California's Provocative Act doctrine has primarily been used to charge people whose actions led to shooting deaths.

However, in one notable case in Southern California in 1999, a man who robbed a family at gunpoint in their home was convicted of murder because a police officer pursuing him in a car chase slammed into another driver in an intersection, killing her.

Hughes' mother, San Francisco schoolteacher Judy Hughes, said she believes the group didn't intend to rob the family, just buy marijuana. She called the case against her son a "legal lynching."

"Only God knows what happened in that house," she said. "But this I know: My son did not murder his childhood friends."
So now criminals are innocent of a crime if they're black?

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Fucking low-life scum sucking asscunts invade a home and get some instant karma. Fuck them in their dead asses.

Butter Nuggets

May 29, 2006
It's only a shame they didn't suffer more before they died.

Treat_Yourself

Nov 17, 2006
Fuck that little shit. He and his friends broke into a family's home and beat their kid so badly he can't even feed himself anymore. Should have killed all three criminals and the parents that raised such vicious little shitstains.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
This story is too fucking unbelievable:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ikqw_We7ScSdB3IfJNgIyF5nlZUQD8SUC12G0

So now criminals are innocent of a crime if they're black?
YES! They are victims of social classism and deprived of opportunities that the rest of us are privy to. It's our fault that they are forced to steal and turn to a life of crime.

I'm glad that guy killed that fucking garbage. You don't beat someone to near death resulting in brain damage and come out as a victim. Too bad he didn't kill all three.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
hey.. wanna go buy some pot?

-sure let's go break in to this pothead's house.

riiiight

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
..."This man had no business killing these boys," Brown said. "They were shot in the back. They had fled."....
So he should have just let them on their merry way?

....Edmonds' stepson, Dale Lafferty, suffered brain damage from the baseball bat beating he took during the melee. The 19-year-old lives in a rehabilitation center and can no longer feed himself.....
Ah, of course he had no reason to shoot.

...Hughes' mother, San Francisco schoolteacher Judy Hughes, said she believes the group didn't intend to rob the family, just buy marijuana. She called the case against her son a "legal lynching.".....
Yeah, probably just got high and was demonstrating his A-Rod impression. Everything that followed was a complete accident.

Those are the parts of the story that really stuck out when I first found it.

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
Everyone knows when you want to buy weed you break into someone's house at 4 am with a baseball bat and two of your friends.

The only injustice here is that the guy didn't shoot fast enough to kill all three of those fucks.

cozzie

head retard
Aug 7, 2005
Norristown PA
I hope the " Victem" gets 2 life sentences, then I would laugh for maybe 3 hours.

F-ing scumbags

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
I don't like the burglar getting charged with murder. Robbery, burglary and 2 dead friends are enough.

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
It's painfully obvious that story was written by a black.

How do you bury the fact that the homeowner's son was BEATEN BY THE INTRUDERS SO BADLY HE SUFFERED BRAIN DAMAGE?

Racist? So what should he have done... allowed these "three, young upstanding black men" to beat his family to death and sit there and take it?

FUCK that. This story needs to get national attention.

I'm sick of the double standard with blacks/whites. I said it before... if it continues, then enjoy it blacks... because this is your fucking reparations.

jules

uppity taxpayer
Jul 24, 2005
south jersey
this story here, and the fact that a black man murdered a philadelphia cop execution style, and the naacp said NOTHING about it is the main reason why certain words will NEVER die.
you want us all on a level playing field? take off the glasses that make you blind to black crime and act like fucking adults.

jules

uppity taxpayer
Jul 24, 2005
south jersey

How do you bury the fact that the homeowner's son was BEATEN BY THE INTRUDERS SO BADLY HE SUFFERED BRAIN DAMAGE?

Racist? So what should he have done... allowed these "three, young upstanding black men" to beat his family to death and sit there and take it?

FUCK that. This story needs to get national attention.

I'm sick of the double standard with blacks/whites. I said it before... if it continues, then enjoy it blacks... because this is your fucking reparations.
yes. i was thinking the same thing when i read the article.

poopiebottoms

Sparkling Wiggles Lover
Aug 23, 2002
1989 - Baba Booey!
Tests showed Edmonds had marijuana and prescription medication in his system the night of the shooting. Edmonds had a prescription for both the pot and the medication to treat depression.
Man this story, and all this racial tension just really bums me out...
:rolleyes:

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Close..

She got an award from The National Association of Hispanic Journalists

Emerging Journalist of the Year Award – Juliana Barbassa – Reporter – Associated Press – Fresno, California
Juliana Barbassa has proven to be an accomplished journalist, despite her young career. From covering farm worker stories to breaking news in California’s central valley, this Fresno-based journalist has provided fresh perspectives on Hispanics and health care, illegal immigrants and drivers licenses, and the consequences of pesticide use for farm workers. She has already set a high standard for herself and the public will be the benefactor of this young journalist’s work and career.
Those guys are lucky that it was only a shot to the back that killed them. I'm surprised they weren't tortured after the horrific beating they gave the stepson.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
now if only every criminal can have their outcome.

"This man had no business killing these boys," Brown said. "They were shot in the back. They had fled."

gotta love the rev. i guess he was present when this happened. i am sure they were leaving when they beat the kid as well

Hughes' mother, San Francisco schoolteacher Judy Hughes, said she believes the group didn't intend to rob the family, just buy marijuana. She called the case against her son a "legal lynching."

anymore questions on why this jackass was robbing a house? sounds like a fine case of parenting to me.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
I don't like the burglar getting charged with murder. Robbery, burglary and 2 dead friends are enough.
Yeah, as conservative as I am when it comes to crime I have to agree with that.

First off, the homeowner was totally justified. The two dead kids got what they deserved for breaking into someone’s house, and I hope it hurt when the bullets went in.

The remaining kid should be prosecuted and if found guilty, be put away for the maximum amount of time allowable. He is scum.

I want to see criminals severely punished, but a person should only be prosecuted for the crimes that they actually commit. You can't just throw on an extra charge of first degree murder just because the other two kids got shot by the homeowner. Not only are you making a hell of a lot of assumptions there, the charge doesn’t even really make any legal sense and would only cheapen the effectiveness and intent that a 1st degree murder charge should hold.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
She called the case against her son a "legal lynching."
To me this is the meat and potatoes of the whole sorry affair. Her son is a fucking criminal degenerate and yet its the system that is racist. No twat, you raised a piece of shit and now he has to face what he has coming. How these people continue to make excuses for the state of their communities is beyond me.

And he didn't lose 2 "friends", he lost 2 partners in crime. Do you think these fucking thugs call each other on the phone when they get depressed or want to talk about something significant? You think they throw surprise parties for each others birthdays? No. They boast about their criminal acts on street corners and front and hunt out their next victim together. If they were truly friends they would'nt allow one another to destroy their lives and others with senseless acts of violence on a daily basis.

I say they fry the motherfucker and remove the mothers ovaries so she can't sully this planet with another sociopath.

FellowTraveler

Frank Reynolds is my hero
Jul 24, 2005
Nononono...here is the justice system for the NAACP:

Black convicted of a crime = racism
Black acquitted of a crime = justice

It still fucking infuriates me to no end that the white couple that was *****, beaten, mutilated, set on fire and murdered in Tennessee gets not one goddamn mention in the media, but we are expected to feel sympathy when two criminals are killed after trying to rob a house and beating a kid so bad that he cannot function as a human being anymore. Execute the mother along with her fucking scumbag offspring. No disrespect.

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
It still fucking infuriates me to no end that the white couple that was *****, beaten, mutilated, set on fire and murdered in Tennessee gets not one goddamn mention in the media
But you just don't understand. You have to look at the upbringing of the individuals. Just like dog-fighting, it's part of their culture down there.:action-sm