ROBOCOP _ 2.12.14

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I know there was already a thread, but it was shared with Red Dawn.

RoboCop Will Be 'More Human,' Starting with Having Visible Eyes

March 27, 2012 in joel kinnaman, movie, news, robocop

This isn't your momma's RoboCop! It's the RoboCop created in response to your momma's incredulous, "Why would anyone hide such a handsome officer's face!?"
In an interview with MTV, Joel Kinnaman--the man selected to be Detroit's first cyborg police officer--recently gave some new insight into his starring role in the upcoming RoboCop remake, speaking of being "super stoked" about being the next actor to put on RoboCop's iconic visor. Then he revealed that he won't actually be putting on that iconic visor.
Though extremely premature promo art for the new RoboCop pictured the protagonist in his usual helmet, the one that robbed his face of emotion like scientists robbed him of his humanity (metaphor!), apparently that's not going to be the helmet anymore. According to Kinnaman, the visor is getting an all new design--one with visible eyes, at last allowing RoboCop to playfully wink, in case he ever wants to say "drop it" as a gag for a co-worker about to bite into a hoagie:
"It's not going to be jaw action. They're still working on the suit and how it's going to look, but the visor is going to be see-through. You're going to see his eyes."​
As you might expect, the rest of the film is also reportedly "going to be different." For one thing: more science! Reportedly, Director José Padilha's family background in science has led him to ask some new questions with his remake. Questions like, what if there's your brain, right? But then there's also sort of a brain in your arm or something? As Kinnaman described it:
"There's a lot of neuroscience now raising the question, 'Is all the intelligence in the human body in the brain?' and they're finding out that, no, it's not like that. The body has intelligence itself, and we're much more of an organic creature in that way. It's not a control tower that does everything."​
Heavy!
Kinnaman went on to say his RoboCop will be "more human" and "more challenging," striking a different tone than the Verhoeven original. At the same time, he still maintains it will have a "political satire to it too" and "a lot of stuff from the original." So while it may be a new visor atop this dead franchise, if you look hard enough, you should still be able to see some broken pieces of the RoboCop you love beneath. And now you'll know if it's looking back at you, because--hey, there are his eyes!

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004

Say..You probably don't think I'm a very nice guy.

porch24

Nov 20, 2009
Mass
My dad let me watch the original when it came out on VHS, I was 5. I'll never forget watching that young executive get blown away by ED-209. That being said, I really hope they don't fuck this up.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
Clarence "Red" Boddicker: one of the greatest movie badasses ever.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I want to know how this will be more challenging and more human than the original, because I thought the first one had a pretty cool depth, and it definitely was about Murphy gaining/regaining his human.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
So this is actually happening

[yt]G9uxoOmy_iA#![/yt]

But with a name like Omnicorp, I wonder how this guy would fair as the RC2000

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Really, Omnicorp? I always liked the sound of OCP, personally. I guess everything evil has to be "something corp" these days...

Dec 12, 2007
They better not just go over the top with special effects. Half the robocop movie was the atmosphere of the crime ridden city and Murphy putting the piecies of his life into place. The drunk in the police station yelling "I AM A REPEAT OFFENDER, I REPEAT, I WILL OFFEND AGAIN!" and the chief saying "shut up asshole" was great. The commercial for "nuke-um" a battleship like game that you play with the family, the 6000-SUX, and of course "I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!" The former mayor taking the new mayor hostage and even the news anchors built an image of the world that most action/sci-fi movies rarely go into. The scene where Murphy goes back into his home and gets flashes of his old life is hard to top, the corporate struggle between dick jones and bob morton, Murphy being shot to death, Clarence motherfucking Boddicker, you can't top the original!

I don't have high hopes for this.

CaffeeDiva

Feb 14, 2012
original when it came out on VHS, I was 5. I'll never forget watching that young executive get blown away by ED-209. That being said, I really hope they don't fuck this up.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen the movie so I Googled this clip. This is a funny, (while imperfect) edit a guy made of the overkill of this machine. I found the edit funny and someone actually saying "call a paramedic".

[video=youtube;G9IscZMYYw0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9IscZMYYw0[/video]

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
The beauty of the original Robocop and Robocop 2 (3 can go suck a bag of dicks) is that they are the from the height of the 80s shlock over the top violence era and they should be left alone. They were cheeseball flicks when they came out and there is no need to remake the robot cop movie.

porch24

Nov 20, 2009
Mass
original when it came out on VHS, I was 5. I'll never forget watching that young executive get blown away by ED-209. That being said, I really hope they don't fuck this up.
I haven't seen the movie so I Googled this clip. This is a funny, (while imperfect) edit a guy made of the overkill of this machine. I found the edit funny and someone actually saying "call a paramedic".

[video=youtube;G9IscZMYYw0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9IscZMYYw0[/video][/QUOTE]

I always thought it was funny that someone yelled "Don't touch him" twice

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
The original was a cyberpunk Dirty Harry. It's a product of that era of film and can't be topped. The fact they are lifting the OCP logo and using virtually the same ED-209 mecha design makes it seem they're gonna try to just copy it. Already a bad move.

CaffeeDiva

Feb 14, 2012
The original was a cyberpunk Dirty Harry. It's a product of that era of film and can't be topped. The fact they are lifting the OCP logo and using virtually the same ED-209 mecha design makes it seem they're gonna try to just copy it. Already a bad move.
I haven't seen the original, but the logo is inconsequential, and there might have been more backlash for losing the mech than keeping it.

If they were to, say, have a man who was dead and used as a completely empty vessel in place of the mech, it would turn into a computer villain in the vein of T2 rather than the ED 209 from Robocop.

If the ED 209 is completely realistic, it'd be something on wheels or flying/hovering, and lose that human/animal element that makes it so scary. Having never seen the movie, that original mech, 3 decades later, is scary to me seeing it introduced in the clip, before it says anything or destroys that young go-getter.

For me, I think the whole movie's outdated but can still be interesting in a comic book sense. For something that is to be more practical and even realistic (from what we foresee), I think the Deus Ex game that came out has a lot of great things to pull from it to make a screenplay.

As I've said before, it all comes down to script, director and casting in descending order. Most reboots have terrible writing, some Paul W.S. Anderson motherfucker directing and usually miscast roles or amateur actors taking you out of the movie.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
I don't like the overly transformeresque styling of the ED-209.

The original ED-209 was perfect. The problem is one I often see when you have art students doing the work of engineers. They make it flashy and overstylized. The engineers look at it, strip the bullshit away and build what's practical. With CGI you skip that second step entirely. You can build whatever crazy fevered dream an art student comes up with. ED-209 was made for urban pacification. He was designed to take on humans with small arms. Designing him this way and then having him stand toe to toe with tanks is just ridiculous. He's so ornamental that he'll get taken out in no time.

They should have hired an engineer from Raytheon or Lockheed and built a mock-up in the real world. Use that for most of the film. Lay off the ornamental poorly thought out CGI. Christ, you have a budget in the tens of millions. Spend at least a couple million on making good looking props.

Sep 1, 2003
I was always under the impression that the entire point of ED-209 in Robocop was that it was an incredibly impractically designed machine made by an evil corporation to look cool and menacing yet it is so poorly conceived it is defeated by simply climbing a flight of stairs.