Robotech...starring...Tobey Maguire

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
Maguire attacking big screen in "Robotech" By Borys Kit
Sat Sep 8, 2:51 PM ET

TORONTO (Hollywood Reporter) - After slipping on a mask for Spider-Man, Tobey Maguire might be slipping into a giant robot for "Robotech."

After a lengthy negotiation, Warner Bros. Pictures has picked up feature rights to "Robotech," a 1980s Japanese cartoon series with giant robots known as mechas. Maguire is eyeing the lead role, and will serve as a producer.

"We are very excited to bring 'Robotech' to the big screen," Maguire said. "There is a rich mythology that will be a great foundation for a sophisticated, smart and entertaining film."

A sprawling sci-fi epic, "Robotech" takes place at a time when Earth has developed giant robots from the technology on an alien spacecraft that crashed on a South Pacific isle. Mankind is forced to use the technology to fend off three successive waves of alien invasions. The first invasion concerns a battle with a race of giant warriors who seek to retrieve their flagship's energy source known as "protoculture," and the planet's survival ends up in the hands of two young pilots.

The $686 million worldwide box office success of "Transformers" has inspired other studios to assemble giant robot movies. Last month, Fox-based Regency picked up 1980s Japanese anime series "Voltron."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
I don't know if this will work but it does have a following!

Why not a Gundam movie next huh?

letterizer

Talking Da sports
Feb 21, 2006
i Fucking hope id doesnt work actualy i hope its just a Bullshit rumor

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Well I hope it does work. Macross Zero was very nice and it might return japanese cartoons away from incredibly stupid Pokemon/Yu-gi-o-ish serieses.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Well I hope it does work. Macross Zero was very nice and it might return japanese cartoons away from incredibly stupid Pokemon/Yu-gi-o-ish serieses.
Agreed...I just hope the graphics are as good as Transformers and NOT Thunderbirds

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
I loved Robotech as a kid, if only because it was the first cartoon that Id ever seen that characters actually died in it. Loved the realistic aspect of it even as a kid.

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Sep 6, 2002
Staten Island, NY
I'm pretty sure I suggested the idea over a month ago here. Maybe movie producers do read WB :rolleyes: