OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Roku Question

Discussion in 'Wackbag Tech Support' started by MayrMeninoCrash, Mar 30, 2013.

1. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Thinking of getting a Roku. I currently stream Netflix and home media via an Xbox 360, but it's getting to be a pain in the butt. It keeps not recognizing media and things that have no basis and are pretty irritating. Anyway, for those who have a Roku, my big question is, will it do media streaming, preferably from an external NAS? Also, does the Netflix app support closed captions? These two things are what's keeping us dealing with all of Xbox's shitty idiosyncracies.

2. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

I have a Roku XS and the Netflix app does support closed captions. I can't answer your other question because I have no idea what you're talking about.

3. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

I have one. I know a NAS is possible, with software like Plex or Roksbox, but I've never bothered with it. Keep in mind, if you have Directv, HBOgo is not supported. Just a heads up.

4. MayrMeninoCrash

I'm debating between the Roku and the WDTV box. WDTV seems more suited as a media bridge device between your home network (NAS - Network Attached Server) and the tv whereas Roku is more a service for the plethora of online viewing options (Netflix, Amazon etc). I was wondering if the home network media viewing was an unadvertised perk or if it is a pain in the ass to get to work with the Roku. Roku seems to have cooler features which is why I am leaning towards it.

5. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

I'm not absolutely confident in this following statement:

I don't know a lot about either, but keep in mind that with a NAS it's just a drive, and the console has to have a media server built in. With something like I have, a Windows Home Server, a lot more devices can read from it.

Some routers can act like a media server also.

6. MayrMeninoCrash

The NAS I have is the GoFlex Home drive. It works independent of a computer, but it does funnel through the router.

7. Party Rooster

8. MayrMeninoCrash

9. Party Rooster

Sorry, like I said, no. Got the Roku hooked to my bedroom TV so I really have no need. I have an HTPC hooked up to the flatscreen in the living room.

10. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

the ROKU does not natively work with a NAS but I have not tried the solutions posted by Mayr, but I will check them out

Apple TV will with being jailbroke but I am not sure about the current one

I have the Apple TV 2 which is only 720p and I can run XBMC on it and it will feed from a NAS

11. VMS

VMS Victim of high standards and low personal skills.

Related question: What's your best solution for a ground-up media center?

I want Netflix connectivity, I want a decent hard drive to put a lot of videos on, I want HDMI output and I want it all remote controlled.

As best as I can tell, getting a PS3 is the way to go on this. Am I wrong? For about $270, I can do all of the above pretty seamlessly, but I'm willing to listen to other ideas.

12. MayrMeninoCrash

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GK0GKO/?tag=wackbagcom-20

Check out this one. Looks like it fulfills your whole wantlist. I saw this one during my search last night but we do not need the 1 TB hard drive (we have a 2 TB server already hooked up)

We went ahead and bought the Roku 3 and the WDTV box (just the media server). I'd like the Roku to work, but if it gives me fits, the kids can have it downstairs to watch Netflix on, and we'll keep the WD.

VMS likes this.
  13. weeniewawa

the ROKU is a great box, really simply laid out and you can add just the channels you want. tons of free stuff and some pay channels too.

I use mine with Amazon Prime and get a lot of TV shows and movies

14. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

If you think you will be investing in a New TV, then hold off on any boxes and just get a TV that has Netflix Streaming and NAS streaming support right out of the box. I have a Roku box and you can get a Roku Lite for $50, not a huge investment. Just buy it and if you get something else then stick it on one of your spare TV's. I've tried adding those experimental apps on my Roku 2, but they never show up on my box.

15. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

That's a good point. My TV has Netflix built in, along with streaming support and two USB ports for media files.

16. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

Anyone receive the Roku update on their Roku 2 boxes? They say they are going to update boxes this month, I'm guessing they are only doing so many at a time. I still have the same firmware from the Dec update.

17. Stig

Stig Wackbag's New Favorite Heel

I just got a Vizio 42" with built in wifi and buttons for Netflix and others on the remote. It rules.

18. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

What's the interface like? Is it in the same style as the old Roku box or the new xbox style?

19. weeniewawa

the problem with TVs and DVD players with built in apps is when the manufacturers stop updating them after a few years because they want you to buy new equipment

20. MayrMeninoCrash

I would never buy a Vizio. Their warranty isn't worth the shit paper it's printed on.

21. jsc315

jsc315 AnalCunt

The new updates should be coming by the end of the month. They are rolling out the updates to Roku 2 boxes in the next few weeks.
    i

You can stream media through the plex app through your home network. It's available on window mac and linux as well. I'll post links below.

It's can be a bit of a hassle to set up at first but once everything is done you wont ever want to use anything else. You can even stream your stuff on just about any smart phone or tablet, that is if your willing to pay for that.

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/forum/84-roku-streaming-players/
    http://plexapp.com/mobile/index.php

If you have any questions i'll try and answer here but the forums there are much better at that then I could be.

I've messed around with the WDTV box and it is not nearly as good as the Roku. It's clunky and a bit slow as well. Yes you can stream media to it easily, but that is really the only good perk that the WDTV box has over the Roku.

#21 jsc315, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  22. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

Thanks for the info JSC

I wonder if the Vizio TV runs some form Linux? You should check the jailbreaking forums.

23. jsc315

jsc315 AnalCunt

Most TV's use linux, If they are hackable I do not know. About 8 years ago You could create a MYTH TV box to use as your own personal DVR/Home Media Server/Live TV/Streaming Device, but that is a project you have to dedicate yourself with but honestly not worth it today.

24. stellarcomics

stellarcomics Registered User

I still have the Vizio I bought in 2008 (or 09) still works great. Never had a problem with it.

25. stellarcomics

stellarcomics Registered User

A friend of mine used to make "hack boxes" for jacking Direct TV. Basically it's a PC with specialized software that works as a TV box. He stopped making them a few years ago, apparently Direct TV shut down the "exploit" they used.

Oh, and this friend is white; so… :action-sm