OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Roland's Job???

Discussion in 'Classic Opie & Anthony General Discussion' started by AlanSmithee, Feb 7, 2013.

1. AlanSmithee

AlanSmithee Registered User

Roland is the talent booker for the Opie and Anthony show as all of you know.. but what exactly does this entail and how much does he actually work??

What I gather from the show is that he speaks with agents/publicists and books guests for the show(obviously) and greets them and brings them up when they get to the sirius building.

Most of Opie and Anthony's guests are the regular group of comedians (Derosa, Kelly, Vos, ect) who don't even have to go through Roland to get on the show.

Roland typically gets 2-4 guests per week for the show. Everything involved with that can't take more then 10 hours a week. Does he do ANYTHING else????

It also seems that he makes pretty good money too. He lives in a nice building in Long Island City which is cheaper then Manhattan but still pretty expensive.

I know he sometimes gets some pretty good guests.. but is he an essential part of the show?? and couldn't one of the producers do his job with the right contacts.

2. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

He works for the talent department which book guests for the entire platform, not just guests for O+A. Im sure he has more work to do than just getting Vos to find he way into the studio.

3. AlanSmithee

I thought I heard him say a few months ago that he only booked for the channel. I could be wrong.

4. Pigdango

Pigdango Silence, you mortal Fuck!
    Donator

During the show, he probably just manages the guests as you described and spends the rest of his time working the phones a little bit and reading the trades. Part of the job requires him to not only keep informed about what's trending in the entertainment world, but he has to keep track of who is repped by who and what deals are being made. I just looked at his twitter and he follows 771 people. I'm guessing most of those folks are in the entertainment industry. Just keeping up with that must take a good amount of time.

I assume the bulk of his "work" is done after the show, as he probably can't talk to most agents and agencies until 9am PCT.

5. AlanSmithee

Yeah this all seems to make sense. Job seems like a cake walk as long as you have good phone skills.

6. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

Celebrity agents and PR people are the oniony stench grime on ballsack of humanity. Dealing with those sacks of garbage, even for a few hours a day, has got to be an absolute nightmare. Roland deserves every penny he makes.

BIV and Evil Star like this.
  7. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Try calling a celebrity's agent to get them on your podcast right now with simply "good phone skills".

Roland is paid for the network he built. He has made good connections throughout his career that allows him to get guests other people can't. I'm sure Steve had great phone skills, but the quality of guests significantly increased when Roland was hired back on.

Also... Roland and good phone skills? Have you heard him speak?

8. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

Here's a clip from inside of Roland's noggin...........

Poor sonofabitch has to deal with a constant shitstream and he's always swimming, mouth agape, upstream.

He has to deal with "the people" of the people he wants to book for the show. Then he has to deal with Opie, Anthony and Jimmy to get a booking approved to appear on the show. Then he has to go back and deal with "the people" again. Then he has to deal with Opie, Anthony and Jimmy again.

If things aren't perfect, "the people" shit on Roland and make his life miserable. If things aren't perfect....hell, even if everything is perfect, Opie, Anthony and Jimmy shit on Roland and make his life miserable.

The Opie & Anthony Show work environment appears to be horribly toxic at best. Probably like being in a cult. You get beaten into the cult. Then you get to beat others when they come into the cult. When there are no new cult memebers to beat on, they beat on each other. Roland has the added benefit of being beaten on by non-show staff members that he can't avoid as well.

Roland adds more value to the show by booking guests than any producucer procuding produced Bobo bits. He is essential to the war effort.

d0uche_n0zzle likes this.
  9. DR. Jimcy M.E.

He's the official unofficial cock squeegieer.

10. tysonpunchinguterus

tysonpunchinguterus "Allegedly"

Are you familiar with the quality of the guests they had in the pre-Roland days? Not good.

11. icculus1284

icculus1284 Registered User

Professional ass-kisser to the stars an their publicists.

12. AlanSmithee

I'm a 14 year listener of the show so I'm very familiar with the guests which were booked before Roland was on board. They would get an A lister once in a blue moon and typically the interviews would suck dick.

13. Guilty Spark

Guilty Spark It's freeing and refreshing

Since most of the interviews with even remotely famous people suck, I'll say fuck Roland and his job. If they never had another non-comedian guest again I'd not give a shit.

14. Gorilla Pimp

Gorilla Pimp Popped a molly i'm sweatin, WOO

You mean you don't want to hear Jim Norton ask uninteresting question after uninteresting question? How about the funny parts where he let's a professional fighter half ass kick/punch/choke/twist his arm and they talk about how bad it hurt and how funny his reaction to it was? That shit is super funny.

15. SallieTomato

SallieTomato Here'sh The Thing

Having guests stinks.

And listening that in-the-closet finook mumble about scheduling & compromises, chick flicks ....

Add to that, the on-air crying jags.

Opie & Anthony-Roland=A Marked Improvement

Rash Rendering likes this.
  16. SOS

SOS ONA
    Wackbag Staff

Anyone who did not notice the improvement to the guests that are brought in when Roland is there is not a fan or a regular listener.

17. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

You can't have Vos in every day. Nor can you spank Sal every day. A high profile show needs guests, and Roland is the best at getting them.

Do you think Mike Tyson would have been on without him? 50 Cent?

18. Pigdango

Pigdango Silence, you mortal Fuck!
    Donator

The show was funnier when the guests weren't as good. Miss bad guest days. When was the last time they did one of those? Seems like it's been a few years now, ever since Steve left and Ro-... Oh. Ohhhh.

19. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

I'll agree that for the mass appeal profile of the show, they need some celebrity "gets"... but for entertainment value, the "biggies" almost always suck.

Like when Kurt Russell came in to plug that Poseidon Adventure shitbomb... oof... that was unbearable.

20. mills

mills I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness

"High quality" =

90% dogshit. I don't listen to comedy radio for "interesting insights" related by celebrities that dorky faggots consider "brilliant minds". These cunts think so highly of themselves and their peers that they're used to telling 20 minute anecdotes where a punchline of "and then Brando said to me .... kid, you fucked up" deserves a room busting apart and laughing to tears and then crying some more out of sheer gratitude for the unique and irreplaceable gift they've been graced with from on high.

+ 10% lucking out and getting someone who's actually entertaining. The Madsens and the Tysons.

I'm ok with the tradeoff.

21. luckie1710

luckie1710 Registered User

The higher profile guests usually come in to promote something that's shit. See Kurt Russell and Poseidon. Willam dafoe and that shit independent movie. Mike Myers and Love guru. And most of them are never seen from again.

22. Flowizm

Flowizm something, something, something

Isn't the fact that they're in a building with other shows/channels more of a factor to them getting bigger name guests? It's like a shopping mall, they just jump from studio to studio and get multiple interviews done in one visit. Roland is obsolete if he only serves the channel, like Kenny being their security guy.

p.s. He's a mush-mouthed closeted homo.

23. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

Kenny serves as their security guy outside the studio too, though.

24. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

Thanks for reminding me about Animorph. It sounded like a good movie but it was utterly shit.

25. glowstickgorill

glowstickgorill Registered User

If Roland is gay, that must suck for him.