OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Romney Being Pressured to Release More Tax Returns

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Party Rooster, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Show me the Rmoney! :icon_cool

2. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

I've given up requesting them, and just assume he's taken major tax writeoffs for the past 10 years for giving money to Al Qaeda and Planned Parenthood. There really is no other explanation

3. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo

Fast/Furious docs for 2 years of Romney tax returns. Sounds fair.

Romney will even throw in his membership registration to The Country Club in Massachusetts for Obama's school records.

4. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

In the same way that Obama cheated his way through Harvard? I agree.

5. MayrMeninoCrash

Do you really think they are equivalent or are you just playing the Obama deflection game?

Do you think a Presidential candidate should be required to show his tax returns (A tradition ironically started by George Romney in 1968)?

6. Von Maestro

Von Maestro Registered User

He did release his tax returns, and the media proceeded to run with the false narrative of a "15% tax rate", not bothering to understand the distinction between his marginal rate & his effective rate.

Btw, releasing your grades is also tradition for Presidential candidates. Just sayin...

7. MayrMeninoCrash

Do you have a link to them?

8. Owenay

Owenay Those who fail to learn from history are doomed...

Just as I've given up requesting Obama's college thesis that's obviously about the necessity of tearing down republican governments and capitalist economies and institute a global, communist utopia. There really is no other explanation.

9. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

I would say Obama's grades are more important, because Romney's successes in the private sector are well documented... while Obama has essentially none. Obama's lack of experience would put more emphasis on his education contributing to his qualifications.

Personally I don't think a presidential candidate should have to show their tax returns. Why? If the IRS accepted them, then that means they paid their "fair share". Education records, voting records from lower offices, experience in the private sector, criminal record, etc would all be more important to me when considering a candidate.

Also Von is right... Romney really has no reason to release the records, because he knows the media is in Obama's camp and will not present the whole story. Personally I think if more than 50% of the news stories that mention capital gains tax don't also mention corporate income tax, the corporate income tax should be automatically eliminated. Obviously people don't care about it enough to mention it...

10. MayrMeninoCrash

You say that like that's not the common narrative already, with or without the transcripts

Wouldn't Romney control the narrative if he releases them on his terms? Stonewalling will only lead to higher scrutiny on them when/if they are released. And right now the Obama camp is playing up the fact that Romney obviously has something to hide, even if he doesn't. I'm guessing there is something there, either related to Bain Capital's investments, or his offshore accounts that they are trying to keep sealed. Merely showing an effective 15% tax rate wouldn't be devastating, or even mildly surprising at this point, so I have to believe there's something way more shocking on there.

Didn't John McCain see his tax returns in 2008?

11. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

As said above, tax returns are filed with an organization that is meant to act if there is something improper about them. If they didn't, it means there wasn't. All it would serve is fodder for his opponents. No matter what is in there, the liberal media isn't just going to say: "Oh, alrighty then. Carry on." Like Louis CK said about the guy he cuts off in traffic, and then tells him to roll his window down so he can shout at him. "Oh, yes sir. Please allow me to take part in my own abuse."

On the other hand, Obama's college records can hide all sorts of interesting things that would not be otherwise known independently. If Romney cheated on his taxes, you would have known about it already without looking at his tax returns yourself.

12. MayrMeninoCrash

Tax returns can be 100% legit per IRS rules and law and still be chock-full of damning information for your opponents to exploit. My earlier example of huge tax deductions to Al-Qaeda front charities, for one.

13. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Romney understands that he controls no narrative in this election. He has very little media backing. His income was solely from capital gains (especially since he volunteered to waive his salary for the Olympics). The media will play to morons that he had millions in income but only paid 15% in taxes... and completely ignore that this would be the second time that money was taxed.

14. Von Maestro

15. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Exactly. Why the fuck should he give his opponents that kind of fodder? "Hey, stupid rich guy, show us your finances so we can laugh about how stupid and rich you are." Obama 2012.

16. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Wait, I'm confused. Why are we talking about Fast and Furious and executive privilege all of a sudden? :icon_cool

17. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo

18. MayrMeninoCrash

Sounds like a good argument to withhold college transcripts.

19. MayrMeninoCrash

20. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Transparency for thee but not for me!

21. caniseeyourtaint

caniseeyourtaint Passive agressive douche

How about releasing these?

1. Fast and Furious documents. Obama used executive privilege to save AG Eric Holder's behind.
    2. Health reform negotiations. Obama made back-room deals worth millions with lobbyists and legislators.
    3. FOIA requests. Obama is "the worst" at complying with Freedom of Information Act requests.
    4. Real White House guest list. Many visits are secret. Met with lobbyists off-site.
    5. Rashid Khalidi tape. Obama attended a 2003 party for Rashin Khalidi in which a lot of anti-Israel rhetoric was featured. Nobody is releasing the tape. LA Times story.
    6. Small dollar donors. Obama refused to release names of contributors who donated less than $200 even though he's accused of receiving illegal foreign contributions. McCain did this in 2008, why couldn't Obama?
    7. Medical records. John McCain released thousands of pages of medical records. All Obama released was a one-page doctor's note even though he has a history of drug abuse and smoking.
    8. Book proposal. Obama's literary agent said he was "born in Kenya". Why hasn't anybody released the original book proposal.
    9. Academic transcripts. Can Obama prove his merit?
    10. State senate papers. Obama never produced any papers from his eight years as a state senator. He says "they could have been thrown out."

22. Hack Hawk Down

Proof?

23. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Are you really this retarded? I was sarcastically responding to this post:

24. Von Maestro

The IRS has access to both the 2001 Tax Return (and all others as well) and if there was any impropriety between those & the actions of Bain Capital, the IRS has everything they need to string him up.

This fishing expedition is one in a long line that we will see leading up to the election, as the Obama camp and their sycophants will do whatever they can to make the dialogue about anything other than Obama's actual record.

25. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

He's actively refusing to release it. Sorry if I don't take his word for it that it could be very damaging. If it's all just ridiculous bullshit, what's the big problem releasing it?