Romney Dings Obama for 'Gifts' to Minority Voters

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Romney Dings Obama for 'Gifts' to Minority Voters

By Devin Dwyer | ABC OTUS News – 14 hrs ago

• Enlarge Photo
    Romney and Obama just before sharing a passionate kiss and hot gay man love (ABC News)

President Obama today heaped praise on his defeated rival, GOP nominee Mitt Romney, saying the former governor's record and ideas "could be very helpful" in shaping policy over the next four years

"My hope is, before the end of the year… that we have a chance to sit down and talk," Obama told reporters in his first post-election press conference.

But even as Obama extended something of an olive branch - which some skeptics saw as disingenuous -

Romney was reportedly accusing the president of doling out "gifts" to minority voters to curry their support for a second term.

"The President's campaign focused on giving targeted groups a big gift-so he made a big effort on small things," Romney told donors on a conference call, first reported by Maeve Reston of the L.A. Times.

"Those small things, by the way, add up to trillions of dollars."

Romney claimed Obama had been "very generous" to blacks, Hispanics and younger voters, according to the Times, insisting that the policy decisions had been a decisive factor in high turnout that tipped the scale against him.

"I am very sorry that we didn't win. I know that you expected to win," Romney reportedly said. "We expected to win…. It was very close, but close doesn't count in this business."
Several participants on the call confirmed to ABC News the account and quotes presented by the L.A. Times.

Senior Obama campaign adviser David Axelrod responded to the "gifts" remark by accusing Romney of "still looking at America through that 47 percent prism."

"Mitt tells donors the takers did him in," Axelrod wrote on Twitter, referencing Romney's remarks earlier this year disparaging 47 percent of Americans as self-perceived "victims" and government dependents.

The back and forth by suggested some lingering ill-feeling on both sides after what was a bruising - often personal - campaign.

On election night after both men spoke briefly by phone, Obama told his supporters that he extended an invitation to meet with Romney to demonstrate a spirit of bipartisanship. But today he conceded he does not know whether Romney is willing to play along.

"He presented some ideas during the course of the campaign that I actually agree with. And so it'd be interesting to talk to him about something like that," Obama said. "There may be ideas that he has with respect to jobs and growth that can help middle-class families that I want to hear."

But Obama added, "I'm not either prejudging what he's interested in doing, nor am I suggesting I've got some specific assignment. But what I want to do is to is to get ideas from him and see if there are some ways that we can potentially work together."

Read more about Romney's donor call HERE .
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-offers-...RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Romney took his ball and went home. No surprise there. He pulled the same shit during his last term as Gov of Mass.

caniseeyourtaint

Passive agressive douche
Feb 26, 2004
Ocean County, NJ
Basically he's reiterating the truth he told that got overheard a few months back. This country would rather keep their free shit than have to go to work.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Romney took his ball and went home. No surprise there. He pulled the same shit during his last term as Gov of Mass.
Yeah, because Obama is genuinely interested in working with him. He's the most bipartisan president in the history of bipartisan presidents. Big bad Romney must be stopped!

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
Romney lost the election but wins the "still doesnt get it" award.

Keep thinking this way "conservatives", its a one way ticket to irrelevancy.

Jun 14, 2004
Seems like the end of the election does not mean the end of his foot in mouth syndrome.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Didn't Romney promise free healthcare to the citizens of Massachusetts in return for electing him Governor? Hypocrites gonna Hyp.

And I will point out again that no one seems to complain when Republicans promise to keep the Medicare and Social Security flowing to seniors in exchange for their votes. Always seems to bring out the crickets around here though.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
How about someone actually disprove what Romney said? It's fucking true.
No one is disputing that Obama's promising more for the lower and middle class than Romney did. But he is being disingenuous by implying that he never promised anything and that he wouldn't gladly exchange giveaways for votes. Basically he's crying that he didn't present a more attractive package to the larger demographic than Obama did.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010

the demographics of the votes dont support Romney's out of touch statements. Pretty simple. The poorest southern states vote republican. The red areas in the south have high "entitlement" participation, but yet they vote for Romney. So to say that its those that have been "promised" something and they vote for Obama is false. Romney lost the female vote. Doesnt matter if it was rich, poor, north, south... he lost it. Why? Just maybe it could have something to do with when asked about equal pay for women saying that his idea was to give them flexible work hours so they could get home in time to cook dinner. Yeah, perhaps that had something to do with it.

As has been pointed out by even the most hard core "conservatives"... Romney lost the election by being tone deaf to what the country really wanted... a fiscal conservative and and social moderate. Romney also lost the election by making "conservatism" nothing more than the opposite of whatever the "liberals" say they are for. If it comes from the other side, it has to be baaaaaaaaad. Thats not what "conservatism" is. And he lost votes because of it.

but feel free to keep blaming the voters for it. That will get you far. It has nothing to do with the failed message and tone of the Republican campaign... nahhhhh that CANT be it... it has to be the that voters got it all wrong... Pardon me is that the Irrelevancy Choo-Choo?... Track 2016

Jun 14, 2004
Well some GOPers are growing balls and are starting to stand up to the extreme right within their party:

“No, I think that’s absolutely wrong,” Jindal said at the RGA opening press conference in Las Vegas. “Two points on that: One, we have got to stop dividing the American voters. We need to go after 100 percent of the votes, not 53 percent. We need to go after every single vote.

Guess not all GOPers are brain dead zombies.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Well some GOPers are growing balls and are starting to stand up to the extreme right within their party:

Guess not all GOPers are brain dead zombies.
On the other hand, Jindal is against volcano monitoring and for letting heavy construction equipment get sunk in the ocean.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
So, really? I get nothing? No mention, no nod? Or did no one really notice, so eager were you all to start frothing?

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
So, really? I get nothing? No mention, no nod? Or did no one really notice, so eager were you all to start frothing?
sshhhhh... we are busy teasing the retard. Dont rooon it with your man on man fantasies :D

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Nothing I say is going to cure your class envy and desire for free shit.
I have neither of those things, and I still can see that if you want to get elected, you don't tell half the country that they're a bunch of freeloaders. And don't start that "it hurts to hear the truth" horseshit, either. It's a massive exaggeration, both in numbers and in severity.