Romney rips off Cumia!

[h=1]SECRET VIDEO: Romney Tells Millionaire Donors What He REALLY Thinks of Obama Voters[/h]Mon Sep. 17, 2012

VIDEO HERE: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/09/secret-video-romney-private-fundraiser

During a private fundraiser earlier this year, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney told a small group of wealthy contributors what he truly thinks of all the voters who support President Barack Obama. He dismissed these Americans as freeloaders who pay no taxes, who don't assume responsibility for their lives, and who think government should take care of them. Fielding a question from a donor about how he could triumph in November, Romney replied:

There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax.
Romney went on: "[M]y job is is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

Mother Jones has obtained video of Romney at this intimate fundraiser—where he candidly discussed his campaign strategy and foreign policy ideas in stark terms he does not use in public—and has confirmed its authenticity. To protect the confidential source who provided the video, we have blurred some of the image, and we will not identify the date or location of the event, which occurred after Romney had clinched the Republican presidential nomination. Here is Romney expressing his disdain for Americans who back the president:

At the dinner, Romney often stuck to familiar talking points. But there were moments when he went beyond the familiar campaign lines. Describing his family background, he quipped about his father, "Had he been born of Mexican parents, I'd have a better shot of winning this." Contending that he is a self-made millionaire who earned his own fortune, Romney insisted, "I have inherited nothing." He remarked, "There is a perception, 'Oh, we were born with a silver spoon, he never had to earn anything and so forth.' Frankly, I was born with a silver spoon, which is the greatest gift you can have: which is to get born in America."

Romney told the contributors that "women are open to supporting me," but that "we are having a much harder time with Hispanic voters, and if the Hispanic voting bloc becomes as committed to the Democrats as the African American voting block has in the past, why, we're in trouble as a party and, I think, as a nation." When one attendee asked how this group could help Romney sell himself to others, he answered, "Frankly, what I need you to do is to raise millions of dollars." He added, "The fact that I'm either tied or close to the president…that's very interesting."

Asked why he wouldn't go full-throttle and assail Obama as corrupt, Romney explained the internal thinking of his campaign and revealed that he and his aides, in response to focus-group studies conducted by his consultants, were hesitant to hammer the president too hard out of fear of alienating independents who voted for Obama in 2008:

We speak with voters across the country about their perceptions. Those people I told you—the five to six or seven percent that we have to bring onto our side—they all voted for Barack Obama four years ago. So, and by the way, when you say to them, "Do you think Barack Obama is a failure?" they overwhelmingly say no. They like him. But when you say, "Are you disappointed that his policies haven't worked?" they say yes. And because they voted for him, they don't want to be told that they were wrong, that he's a bad guy, that he did bad things, that he's corrupt. Those people that we have to get, they want to believe they did the right thing, but he just wasn't up to the task. They love the phrase that he's "over his head." But if we're– but we, but you see, you and I, we spend our day with Republicans. We spend our days with people who agree with us. And these people are people who voted for him and don't agree with us. And so the things that animate us are not the things that animate them. And the best success I have at speaking with those people is saying, you know, the president has been a disappointment. He told you he'd keep unemployment below eight percent. Hasn't been below eight percent since. Fifty percent of kids coming out of school can't get a job. Fifty percent. Fifty percent of the kids in high school in our 50 largest cities won't graduate from high school. What're they gonna do? These are the kinds of things that I can say to that audience that they nod their head and say, "Yeah, I think you're right." What he's going to do, by the way, is try and vilify me as someone who's been successful, or who's, you know, closed businesses or laid people off, and is an evil bad guy. And that may work.
(Note: Obama did not promise his policies would keep unemployment under 8 percent, and 50 percent of college graduates are not unemployed.)

To assure the donors that he and his campaign knew what they were doing, Romney boasted about the consultants he had retained, emphasizing that several had worked for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu:

I have a very good team of extraordinarily experienced, highly successful consultants, a couple of people in particular who have done races around the world. I didn't realize it. These guys in the US—the Karl Rove equivalents—they do races all over the world: in Armenia, in Africa, in Israel. I mean, they work for Bibi Netanyahu in his race. So they do these races and they see which ads work, and which processes work best, and we have ideas about what we do over the course of the campaign. I'd tell them to you, but I'd have to shoot you.
When one donor said he was disappointed that Romney wasn't attacking Obama with sufficient intellectual firepower, Romney groused that the campaign trail was no place for high-minded and detail-oriented arguments:

Well, I wrote a book that lays out my view for what has to happen in the country, and people who are fascinated by policy will read the book. We have a website that lays out white papers on a whole series of issues that I care about. I have to tell you, I don't think this will have a significant impact on my electability. I wish it did. I think our ads will have a much bigger impact. I think the debates will have a big impact....My dad used to say, "Being right early is not good in politics." And in a setting like this, a highly intellectual subject—discussion on a whole series of important topics typically doesn't win elections. And there are, there are, there are—for instance, this president won because of "hope and change."
Romney, who spoke confidently throughout the event and seemed quite at ease with the well-heeled group, insisted that his election in and of itself would lead to economic growth and that the markets would react favorably if his chances seemed good in the fall:

They'll probably be looking at what the polls are saying. If it looks like I'm going to win, the markets will be happy. If it looks like the president's going to win, the markets should not be terribly happy. It depends of course which markets you're talking about, which types of commodities and so forth, but my own view is that if we win on November 6th, there will be a great deal of optimism about the future of this country. We'll see capital come back and we'll see—without actually doing anything—we'll actually get a boost in the economy. If the president gets re-elected, I don't know what will happen. I can– I can never predict what the markets will do. Sometimes it does the exact opposite of what I would have expected. But my own view is that if we get a "Taxageddon," as they call it, January 1st, with this president, and with a Congress that can't work together, it's— it really is frightening.
At the dinner, Romney also said that the campaign purposefully was using Ann Romney "sparingly... so that people don't get tired of her." And he noted that he had turned down an invitation from Saturday Night Live because such an appearance "has the potential of looking slapstick and not presidential."

Here was Romney raw and unplugged—sort of unscripted. With this crowd of fellow millionaires, he apparently felt free to utter what he really believes and would never dare say out in the open. He displayed a high degree of disgust for nearly half of his fellow citizens, lumping all Obama voters into a mass of shiftless moochers who don't contribute much, if anything, to society, and he indicated that he viewed the election as a battle between strivers (such as himself and the donors before him) and parasitic free-riders who lack character, fortitude, and initiative.
Yet Romney explained to his patrons that he could not speak such harsh words about Obama in public, lest he insult those independent voters who sided with Obama in 2008 and whom he desperately needs in this election. These were sentiments not to be shared with the voters; it was inside information, available only to the select few who had paid for the privilege of experiencing the real Romney.

COMNIG SOON: More from the secret Romney video.

Video production: James West, Adam Weinstein, Dana Liebelson, and Erika Eichelberger
Research assistance: James Carter

peewee

Aug 10, 2003
NY
After everything I have read and heard about him this does not surprise me at all. I already know that his supporters won't see anything wrong with this, but I really wonder what those independent voters he was talking about will think.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
The only thing that I see wrong with what was said is how it was said.

It should be shouted from the rooftops.

peewee

Aug 10, 2003
NY
The only thing that I see wrong with what was said is how it was said.

It should be shouted from the rooftops.
I don't think he said anything that bad. The same people who supported him yesterday will most likely support him tomorrow. I am curious to see what effect if any it has on undecided voters.

Owenay

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed...
May 10, 2007
Bizarro World
I don't see what the problem is. He's 100% right. The only thing I would change would be for him to say it over and over and over again. I'm tired of all the Romney and Obama are the same thing nonsense.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Great thread HHDSyndrome!!! Pointing out again that Mitt Romney is who we need to vote for in 2012! Nice! :clap:

peewee

Aug 10, 2003
NY
Great thread HHDSyndrome!!! Pointing out again that Mitt Romney is who we need to vote for in 2012! Nice! :clap:
To me this is what is so interesting about this election. The same things the Democrats think as an attack, Republicans think as a compliment. It is amazing how far apart the two sides really are in this election. No matter who wins about half of the country is going to think it is the end of the world, while the other is going to be thanking god for saving us. I really can't wait for November.

Joker1919

Oct 11, 2008
Central Kentucky
To me this is what is so interesting about this election. The same things the Democrats think as an attack, Republicans think as a compliment. It is amazing how far apart the two sides really are in this election. No matter who wins about half of the country is going to think it is the end of the world, while the other is going to be thanking god for saving us. I really can't wait for November.
I feel the same way. I think I'll stock up on ammo just in case.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
In fairness, I'm sure there are plenty of Democrats who feel similarly about people who ABUSE the entitlement system.

The only thing I am really worried about is the geopolitical situation and Israel/Iran if Obama is reelected (and assuming nothing happens before the election). Everyone has a tendency to treat it like a "this one is the most important one ever" scenario, but even with my disdain for pretty much everything Obama stands for, I really don't think that another 4 years of his crap will cause irreversible damage (except for the Iran thing), especially if the repubs can clinch both House and Senate.

Wasn't pointing anything out.

The relevance in this story isn't whether what he said was true, but is how this type of stuff in today's political/media climate can impact the way voters see someone.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Wasn't pointing anything out.

The relevance in this story isn't whether what he said was true, but is how this type of stuff in today's political/media climate can impact the way voters see someone.
I'm sure.

peewee said:
I'd rather be on this side, than on the side of Obama with the "You didn't build your business!" attacks on the successful, risk-taking Americans.

peewee

Aug 10, 2003
NY
In fairness, I'm sure there are plenty of Democrats who feel similarly about people who ABUSE the entitlement system.
Sure, I think everyone is angry about abuse in the entitlement system. The difference is what is considered abuse. Both sides have a very different view on that.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Sure, I think everyone is angry about abuse in the entitlement system. The difference is what is considered abuse. Both sides have a very different view on that.
I think it is an artificial difference, mostly. Look, when democrats want to make Romney look bad, they say he's killing an old lady or throwing legitimately needy people out on the street. When republicans want to make Obama look bad, they say he tolerates and even encourages the worst kinds of entitlement pigs and system cheats. On a case by case basis, I think most people would agree whether a specific individual was abusing the system or not. I mean, we have plenty of stories like that in CE (either a "this person fucks the system" or a "the system fucks this person") and most of the time, we judge them similarly regardless of affiliation.

I guess that means you are sort of right. I mean, despite what I mentioned, people will still have ugly battles on entitlement reform, even though deep down they probably have similar yardsticks to measure individual offenses against the system.

I'm sure.

I'd rather be on this side, than on the side of Obama with the "You didn't build your business!" attacks on the successful, risk-taking Americans.
Yes, no Democrats, no one except YOU has taken a risk, or become successful.

There are no business owners or people who took student loans to get an education, or people who went into debt to take major risks and start businesses who support Obama.

Not the founders of Carmax or Costco who spoke at the DNC, not the members of Small-Businesses for Obama, nope...none of them.

peewee

Aug 10, 2003
NY
I think it is an artificial difference, mostly. Look, when democrats want to make Romney look bad, they say he's killing an old lady or throwing legitimately needy people out on the street. When republicans want to make Obama look bad, they say he tolerates and even encourages the worst kinds of entitlement pigs and system cheats. On a case by case basis, I think most people would agree whether a specific individual was abusing the system or not. I mean, we have plenty of stories like that in CE (either a "this person fucks the system" or a "the system fucks this person") and most of the time, we judge them similarly regardless of affiliation.

I guess that means you are sort of right. I mean, despite what I mentioned, people will still have ugly battles on entitlement reform, even though deep down they probably have similar yardsticks to measure individual offenses against the system.
I totally agree. I personally think the answer is somewhere in the middle of Democrats and Republicans, but "moderate" and "compromise" seem to have become "bad words".

Joker1919

Oct 11, 2008
Central Kentucky
Yes, no Democrats, no one except YOU has taken a risk, or become successful.

There are no business owners or people who took student loans to get an education, or people who went into debt to take major risks and start businesses who support Obama.

Not the founders of Carmax or Costco who spoke at the DNC, not the members of Small-Businesses for Obama, nope...none of them.
I think you have copied and pasted that somewhere before shill.

Joker1919

Oct 11, 2008
Central Kentucky
I totally agree. I personally think the answer is somewhere in the middle of Democrats and Republicans, but "moderate" and "compromise" seem to have become "bad words".
I agree with you man, compromise would be a great thing but I think we are past the point of it ever happening.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
I'm sure.
Ohhh, you two.. Just stop it, remember the good 'ol democratic-republican days? That was shortly after g-dog warshington was president and opposed political parties. Probably because it would just turn into cat fights like this.

Joker1919

Oct 11, 2008
Central Kentucky
Ohhh, you two.. Just stop it, remember the good 'ol democratic-republican days? That was shortly after g-dog warshington was president and opposed political parties. Probably because it would just turn into cat fights like this.
I don't know why but I think I'll refer to him as G-Dog Washington from now on.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
More like progressive vs conservative...but I get what you're sayin.

Hack Hawk Down said:
Hey! You found a few! :icon_cool

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
More hard truths from Romney.

WASHINGTON (AP) — GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney told donors in a newly released video clip that Palestinians "have no interest" in peace with Israel and suggested that efforts at Mideast peace under his administration would languish.

Romney says that Palestinians are "committed to the destruction and elimination of Israel" and that the prospects for a two-state solution to Mideast peace were dim.

"You hope for some degree of stability, but you recognize that this is going to remain an unsolved problem.and we kick the ball down the field and hope that ultimately, somehow, something will happen and resolve it," Romney said.

The remarks are contained in a clip posted Tuesday on the website of the magazine Mother Jones. The magazine said it had obtained the video of a $50,000-a-plate fundraiser in Boca Raton, Fla., on May 17.

In the latest clip, Romney is asked about the "Palestinian problem." He gives a detailed, though somewhat rambling response, and says, "the Palestinians have no interest whatsoever in establishing peace," and "the pathway to peace is almost unthinkable to accomplish."

The magazine's website quotes Romney as saying he was against applying any pressure on Israel to give up disputed territory for a two-state solution with the Palestinians.

"The idea of pushing on the Israelis to give something up to get the Palestinians to act is the worst idea in the world," Romney says, according to the magazine. Mother Jones did not provide video of that comment, however.

The new video is from the same event as the clip released Monday, in which Romney says almost half of Americans "believe that they are victims." Late Monday, Romney did not dispute the clip but said his remarks were "not elegantly stated."

Romney also blasted President Barack Obama's foreign policy approach as "naive."

"The president's foreign policy, in my opinion, is formed in part by a perception he has that his magnetism, and his charm, and his persuasiveness is so compelling that he can sit down with people like (Vladimir) Putin and (Hugo) Chávez and (Mahmoud) Ahmadinejad, and that they'll find that we're such wonderful people that they'll go on with us, and they'll stop doing bad things," Romney says. "And it's an extraordinarily naive perception."

The Romney campaign has not disputed the authenticity of the video released Monday. In a brief news conference late Monday, Romney said his comments were not "elegantly stated" and were spoken "off the cuff."
http://news.yahoo.com/romney-video-palestinians-not-interested-peace-114354732--election.html

Badfinger

I shot the sheriff
Apr 26, 2006
Philly Burbs
For $50,000 a plate, they deserve straight talk and not the watered down BS that we hear from the stump.
I like what Mitt said. At least he didn't use the N-word.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
How can 47% of the United States be automatically for Democrats when only 12% of the population is black and 16% is Latino? Seems like there's a wide swath of whitey in there. And a lot of those freeloaders are probably your average trailer trash redneck who wouldn't vote for a black man to clean up his garbage. He knows someday his ship will come in and he will be rubbing elbows with the likes of Mitt and and Paul. Why is Mitt glossing over that impressive voting bloc?

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
More hard truths from Romney.
Romney says that Palestinians are "committed to the destruction and elimination of Israel" and that the prospects for a two-state solution to Mideast peace were dim.

"You hope for some degree of stability, but you recognize that this is going to remain an unsolved problem.and we kick the ball down the field and hope that ultimately, somehow, something will happen and resolve it," Romney said.
"The president's foreign policy, in my opinion, is formed in part by a perception he has that his magnetism, and his charm, and his persuasiveness is so compelling that he can sit down with people like (Vladimir) Putin and (Hugo) Chávez and (Mahmoud) Ahmadinejad, and that they'll find that we're such wonderful people that they'll go on with us, and they'll stop doing bad things," Romney says. "And it's an extraordinarily naive perception."
All no-brainers...but it sure is refreshing to hear it.