Romney won't revoke young illegal immigrant visas

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Romney won't revoke young illegal immigrant visas

By KASIE HUNT | Associated Press – 7 hrs ago

DENVER (AP) — Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney says he would honor temporary work permits for young illegal immigrants who were allowed to stay in the U.S. because of an executive order signed this summer by President Barack Obama.
Romney told The Denver Post, in an interview appearing in Tuesday's edition, that people who are able to earn the two-year visas to stay and work wouldn't see them revoked under a Romney administration.
"The people who have received the special visa that the president has put in place, which is a two-year visa, should expect that the visa would continue to be valid. I'm not going to take something that they've purchased," Romney told the Post, promising to put a comprehensive immigration reform plan into place before those visas expire.
In June, Obama issued an executive order that allows some young illegal immigrants who were brought to the U.S. as children to avoid deportation. Romney criticized Obama for circumventing Congress to make the change a few months before the presidential election.
During the Republican presidential primary, Romney said he would veto legislation to provide a path to citizenship for some of the young people who benefited from Obama's executive order.
Throughout the Republican primary, Romney took an aggressive tack on immigration, saying in debates that he approved of "self-deportation," where undocumented workers would choose to leave on their own because they were unable to find work in the U.S. He assailed rival Rick Perry, the Texas governor, for allowing illegal immigrants to attend Texas state colleges and universities at in-state tuition rates.
Romney also said he would veto the so-called DREAM Act, legislation that would have allowed a path to citizenship the children of illegal immigrants if they meet certain education or service requirements. Romney has always said he supports a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants who serve in the military.
After rival Rick Santorum dropped out of the primary, leaving Romney the presumptive Republican nominee, the former Massachusetts governor indicated he would review potential legislation from Florida Sen. Marco Rubio that would have allowed some young illegal immigrants a way to stay in the country.
At a Univision forum last month, Romney said: "I'm not going to be rounding people up and deporting them from the country. ... I will put in an immigration reform plan that solves this issue."
The Denver Post interview comes as Romney and Obama are fighting a heated battle for Colorado, whose significant Hispanic population could determine which candidate receives the state's nine electoral votes.
http://news.yahoo.com/romney-wont-r...RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
This guy is a fuckin' corporate pussy boy. He'd never enact real reform that would be good for the people but harm agribusinesses.

Romney and Ryan are the two most marshmallow soft, multi-millionaire stooges you could run. This is a disastrous ticket that is borderline contest-throwing ala John Kerry.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
I guess hipster name is covering for Kirk as the new cunt of wackbag.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
"The people who have received the special visa that the president has put in place, which is a two-year visa, should expect that the visa would continue to be valid. I'm not going to take something that they've purchased,"
Romney's doing it wrong...He needs to start off with, "I'll inherit this from the administration of the previous 4 years...". The important part is with the last sentence...if they paid for it and were granted two-year temporary visas...they should continue to be honored.

The key will be with what Romney's idea of comprehensive immigration reform is...which worries me a bit.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Rofl. The best part of republican negative press is the quick damage control from republican fanboys. Lib reactions aren't as funny because they just deny anything is wrong with their idols.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Smart move by Romney.

Obama is 70-75% with Latinos in polls right now.

If Romney brings it closer to 60-65% he wins.
I don't disagree, but I wonder what your fascination with Romney and the Hispanic vote is all about.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
I am all for letting the young wetback kids who were brought here by their parents against their will have green cards

as long as they bring in said wetback parents and turn them in to be deported

a 2 fer kinda deal