Ron and Fez And Politics

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple
The big rumor with the O+A return is that XM will censor them if they go on a rant about politics.

My problem is, as always, what about Ron and Fez?

O+A isn't a show known for its "brilliant" political insights. Their take on it is relatively simplistic and generality-based. Nothing wrong with that, it's just how the show is. It's not a politics show.

However...the Ron and Fez show, while not exactly politically based, tends to discuss politics more and with more intelligence than Opie and Anthony. While O+A might go on a rant about Bush being stupid, or Paul R. Nelson being silly, Ron will really delve into politics, the issues, and the people involved. I said in another thread, O+A is more like Weekend Update while R+F is more Real Time with Bill Maher.

And, while a lot of people whine about Ron being "too liberal" he really does hate both of the pandering, ineffective, pathetic parties and rightfully so. He has criticized most of the power players on both sides of the aisle and doesn't seem to like any of them- Obama, Hilary, Giuliani, etc. And I honestly love when he'll go on rants against them. Bash the system. Say how the two parties are interchangeable.

And I don't want them to lose that ability especially with the election heating up.

Does anyone fear that that "ban" might effect R+F as well?

I am long winded.

Gonzoid

The Tenacious T-Bagger
I really do not think that OnA are going to be banned from ranting about politics...and I am positive this will not affect RnF in anyway. If anything, it may be to cut out any talk of doing something to a political figure...although, they never did at anytime I can recall. One homeless bum said something off-color to start this shitstorm. I think this is just rumors designed to stir up.

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
I'm not worried about it. Even though Ronnie something does some political rants, R&F are so non-controversial, I think they will always be safe.

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple
I'm not worried about it. Even though Ronnie something does some political rants, R&F are so non-controversial, I think they will always be safe.
And Earl didn't rat to Mikeyboy about reviewing prior shows for content?

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
I think the starting censorship is going to be on talk related to
-company policy, merger
-anything over light racial humor
-any discussion related to a topic where the OnA show could be used as a sound bite on a news program
-attacks on the FCC, politicians, or the administration that could possibly endanger the merger
-and the ongoing ban on any bit capable of attracting public attention on its own

Basically anything that could expose the company for what they are, and anything that could gain publicity.

Id say any ban OnA recieve on content so will RnF. Along with being forbidden from discussing OnA when they are in trouble.
And like all censorship it will only grow with time. WNEW was a more free show then XM ever was (except for the cursing.) In only a few years FM censorship has gone out of control. XM is doomed.

BeersOnTheBoat

Ex-New Yorker (Thank God!)
This whole thing started because a guest on the show spoke very specifically and graphically about the brutal **** and sodomy of public figures (not fictional or dead public figures). None of this had anything to do with opposing any public policy or political figure. If someone said GWB was a complete ass because of...well just about anything than I seriously doubt that would be dumped. But, if someone said GWB (his wife, rice, etc.) should be injured, rapped, toutured, etc. that's a whole different story because that is publically advocating the assult, injury, death, etc on a person. It wouldn't be tolerated if it was said about any individual really.

I think what they're trying to do is keep things from wandering into the area of publically advocating injuring anyone (whether it is intended to be serious or not). Whole lot of legal liability issues there regardless if a show is marketed as uncensored or not.

This whole thing started because a guest on the show spoke very specifically and graphically about the brutal **** and sodomy of public figures

This never happened, I don't know where you get your information, but you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Do you even know what **** and sodomy are?

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
This whole thing started because a guest on the show spoke very specifically and graphically about the brutal **** and sodomy of public figures (not fictional or dead public figures). None of this had anything to do with opposing any public policy or political figure. If someone said GWB was a complete ass because of...well just about anything than I seriously doubt that would be dumped. But, if someone said GWB (his wife, rice, etc.) should be injured, rapped, toutured, etc. that's a whole different story because that is publically advocating the assult, injury, death, etc on a person. It wouldn't be tolerated if it was said about any individual really.

I think what they're trying to do is keep things from wandering into the area of publically advocating injuring anyone (whether it is intended to be serious or not). Whole lot of legal liability issues there regardless if a show is marketed as uncensored or not.

homeless charlies comments had nothing to do with the suspension. and this 'all' certainly didnt start there.

BeersOnTheBoat

Ex-New Yorker (Thank God!)
This never happened, I don't know where you get your information, but you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Do you even know what **** and sodomy are?

I listened to the show in question and what Charlie said didn't leave a whole lot of room for interpretation. It was pretty easy understand exactly what he was talking about. He sure as heck wasn't voicing decent on Bush's immigration policy or the review of FCC decency rules. Never happened? Whole lot of people in VERY powerful positions in business and government think it did, MMMAAANNNN

You should listen better. If some group wanted to fuck over Raf they would have hundreds of audio clips at their disposal. Ron and Fez have said a lot of crazy offensive un PC shit in their time.

Digital_Trauma

"man of leisure". . . aaaand repeat
Never said they were but they do a fuck of a lot better job of discussing the topic than O+A
Ronnie makes some decent points every once in a while, but it's mostly just comes across as talking down to the other idiots in the room, especially Fez. Let's also not forget East Side "I voted twice for Ralph Nader" Dave.

electrifiedmice

Anthonys giant eye teeth scare children
The big rumor with the O+A return is that XM will censor them if they go on a rant about politics.

My problem is, as always, what about Ron and Fez?

O+A isn't a show known for its "brilliant" political insights. Their take on it is relatively simplistic and generality-based. Nothing wrong with that, it's just how the show is. It's not a politics show.

However...the Ron and Fez show, while not exactly politically based, tends to discuss politics more and with more intelligence than Opie and Anthony. While O+A might go on a rant about Bush being stupid, or Paul R. Nelson being silly, Ron will really delve into politics, the issues, and the people involved. I said in another thread, O+A is more like Weekend Update while R+F is more Real Time with Bill Maher.

And, while a lot of people whine about Ron being "too liberal" he really does hate both of the pandering, ineffective, pathetic parties and rightfully so. He has criticized most of the power players on both sides of the aisle and doesn't seem to like any of them- Obama, Hilary, Giuliani, etc. And I honestly love when he'll go on rants against them. Bash the system. Say how the two parties are interchangeable.

And I don't want them to lose that ability especially with the election heating up.

Does anyone fear that that "ban" might effect R+F as well?

I am long winded.
We get it. Ron's the best and Opies stupid. Just make a bumper sticker and ride around with it on your Ford.

We get it. Ron's the best and Opies stupid. Just make a bumper sticker and ride around with it on your Ford.
I think you're really missing the point of the thread. The last time I remember O&A talking intelligently about political issues was on 'NEW about the Diallo shooting, and that was Anthony. LIddy's thread/question was not a bash at the b-b-boys. NOt in the least. The truth of the matter is, Ron (and only Ron) talks intelligently about topics. Yes, he throws in some joke or off color remark to add humor, but he still speaks about the topics with descriptions other than, "that's stupid" or "I want to bite his face"

Liddy, I believe that XM isn't gonna censor political talk, especially Ron. Because, we all know, that Ron will not say something that will get the buddays fired. the "Producers" on the other hand...

KOP

If you have to compare R&F with any radio show, compare them with ALL radio shows - they may have their silly bits, and running gags, and endless "characters," and stunts, but they can switch it on a dime and have a legitimate conversation on almost any topic, all without losing the flow - all without them looking false to who they are.

They can get into deep, personal discussions of Fez's current path - have as open a discussion as anywhere - in the same show as goofy talk about Earl and Dave - or an interview with an actress, a director or a chef - and within 3 hours, Ron will have had 100 brilliant, hysterical lines.

THE REASON why this is good is if and when something big and tragic happens - Ron and Fez aren't handcuff into being The Morning Zoo guys - or even The Parody of the Morning Zoo Guys. They can actually talk about what's going on. And 9 out of 10 times you will hear a completely different perspective than what is being floated out there - from the VTS Shootings to even their SOPRANOS talk - very different POV.

Ron is far from a shill for any one party - he has said repeatedly that he sees no difference in the two. They love to have people come on who have a point (and not a bumper sticker message) and express it - he may bust balls and disagree most of the time with The Blowhard, but it's clear that they love having him on.

No other radio show is say that these days. They are either only going for the cheap Bush joke, or they are too busy trying to dust off the extinct word "Liberal" - and rarely do any of them actually clue their listeners in on what they really are thinking and believing - Rush doesn't care one bit about the scary Democrats, but he does care about selling that cotton candy to the rubes.

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
I think the starting censorship is going to be on talk related to
-company policy, merger
-anything over light racial humor
-any discussion related to a topic where the OnA show could be used as a sound bite on a news program
-attacks on the FCC, politicians, or the administration that could possibly endanger the merger
-and the ongoing ban on any bit capable of attracting public attention on its own

Basically anything that could expose the company for what they are, and anything that could gain publicity.

Id say any ban OnA recieve on content so will RnF. Along with being forbidden from discussing OnA when they are in trouble.
And like all censorship it will only grow with time. WNEW was a more free show then XM ever was (except for the cursing.) In only a few years FM censorship has gone out of control. XM is doomed.
so here's my question....if/when the merger fails (or goes through) will the censorship be lifted? "Well we can't merge, fuck it..." ? "whaa"

agreed :action-sm
it's a Prius...