Ron's Take on Dog Fighting

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
I almost always agree with Ron but not on this particular issue. Here are some of my points:

Humans choose in engage in violent acts. Animals don't.

When animals do engage in violence it for survival, not for sport.

True, people do eat meat and wear leather. But they were not tortured like what happens in animal fights. I doubt that there is anyone who would rather die quickly rather than being tortured to death.

Yes, there are bigger problems in this country than dog fighting, but that does not excuse it. If we go with the ideology that we should only worry about bigger problems then only thing we should ever worry about is nuclear war and should ignore all the other problems of the world. Crimes, both great and small, need to have consequences. He is not going to be put to death or put in prison for the rest of his life but he does need to have a consequence for his crime if he is in fact guilty of it.

Vick (who is still being paid his full salary by the way) is simply being told not to show for practice and lost his endorsements for, at the very least, associating with criminals. It brings a bad light to the NFL and this type of negative stigma will kill a league because perception is reality. Whether it is true or not, the NBA is seen as more “thuggish” than the NFL and MLB. Because of that until the NBA does something to improve their image they will always be in 3rd place behind the other major sports. Being #1, the NFL can’t afford to throw all the players, coaches, and personnel associated with the league under the bus just for one player.

I still think Ron is the man though.

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
Las Vegas
I was also quite bothered my Ron's position on this matter and actually turned off the show so I wouldn't start holding this one topic against the show as a whole.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I almost always agree with Ron but not on this particular issue. Here are some of my points:

Humans choose in engage in violent acts. Animals don't.

When animals do engage in violence it for survival, not for sport.

True, people do eat meat and wear leather. But they were not tortured like what happens in animal fights. I doubt that there is anyone who would rather die quickly rather than being tortured to death.

Yes, there are bigger problems in this country than dog fighting, but that does not excuse it. If we go with the ideology that we should only worry about bigger problems then only thing we should ever worry about is nuclear war and should ignore all the other problems of the world. Crimes, both great and small, need to have consequences. He is not going to be put to death or put in prison for the rest of his life but he does need to have a consequence for his crime if he is in fact guilty of it.

Vick (who is still being paid his full salary by the way) is simply being told not to show for practice and lost his endorsements for, at the very least, associating with criminals. It brings a bad light to the NFL and this type of negative stigma will kill a league because perception is reality. Whether it is true or not, the NBA is seen as more “thuggish” than the NFL and MLB. Because of that until the NBA does something to improve their image they will always be in 3rd place behind the other major sports. Being #1, the NFL can’t afford to throw all the players, coaches, and personnel associated with the league under the bus just for one player.

I still think Ron is the man though.
I agree with everything you said from top to bottom. Dogfighting is an off shoot of the drug dealing community, probably another reasons drugs should be legalized, but that's for another discussion. Also pitbulls that were involved in dogfighting pose a threat to human society, if they happen to escape.

Standby

Better Than [you]
Wackbag Staff
Sep 8, 2005
Arlington, VA
Since I don't know everything about the Vick situation specifically, and don't want to take an uninformed stance, I will say this.

If the NFL is having a blanket policy to crack down on crime and other things that "give the league a bad image", then they have to follow the same blanket policy they used for Pacman or Tank Johnson (there are probably better examples...). Is the dog fight thing as bad as other crimes? Maybe not. But if the policy they're using is a zero tolerance one, then this falls under it...

FAngel

I Drink YOUR Milkshake!
Mar 2, 2005
Bethlehem, PA
I don't think I share Ron's viewpoint on the entire thing, but I will say that at no point in my life have I lost sleep thinking about cocks.

circpro

No Complaints here
Nov 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
My problem is not with the act but the fall out...

The proof is evident in that a judge FINALLY set a trial date for R Kelly. This is from his sex tape with a minor that surfaced in 2005... in the meantime, R Kelly has had six best-selling albums and three nationwide tours.

Sure Vick is getting his NFL salary but R Kelly earned money based on the public spending their money on his music....

Babble Babble Babble.... I hope they both share a cell.....

RMPGP

Feb 16, 2006
If you take the emotionality out of it and look at it from pure logic, I can see Ronnie's point for sure.

But I also detest Ron Mexico so I won't miss any sleep knowing he lost his career.

Angelfuck

Part of the Ronnie B. crowd
Jan 6, 2006
Static Age
I understand Ron's point but I think the outrage was more over the savage way they killed the dogs who lost the test fights, so many poor dumb defenseless doggies tortured and brutally killed vs one date :rap:

Standby

Better Than [you]
Wackbag Staff
Sep 8, 2005
Arlington, VA
I don't think I share Ron's viewpoint on the entire thing, but I will say that at no point in my life have I lost sleep thinking about cocks.
So you're saying you dream about cocks... :action-sm

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
But I also detest Ron Mexico so I won't miss any sleep knowing he lost his career.
Ron Mexico...lol...I forgot about that.

By the way, in my original post I meant to say "I'm sure people would prefer a quick death rather than being tortured…" The way I originally wrote it sounded like I meant the opposite. But in all fairness I was pretty angry with this issue.

Speaking of that, I don't fault Ron for not following any one particular issue. There are some things I too just don't care as much about that others might, so that is cool. This particular issue is one that I just happen to really care about so I think that is why it upset me so much to hear someone say, "Who cares?"

But again, Ron is still awesome. I just happen to disagree with him on this.

striker

Why yes, I am an asshole, so what?
Mar 10, 2005
Colorado
Actually, there are a couple of things that need to be brought up here. I totally agree, Ron is wrong.

Some points missed; with Kobe, the background and history of the whore involved became evident and brought to life here in Colo. within 4 days of the story breaking. It took almost a full month before the national press picked up on it. I feel that ****, dog fighting, cock fighting are all despicable acts, for Ron to say they are not common, well, shows an ignorance of the world.

In the past three months, here in Colo. alone there have been 24+ arrests made for dog fighting and cock fighting, and a cockfighting ring broken up. Denver & Colorado Springs Police as part of a drug trafficking bust also broke up a dog fighting ring. In one case, this guy was buying 3 fighting roosters a month and having them mailed to him here in Denver (yes it's legal and happens regularly to ship live roosters and chickens via USPS). After the 4th one was shipped to him Postal Police were notified and began an investigation.

THis whole thing with Vick that Ron ignored, the kennel where the dogs were being bred and raised was in Vicks name. This has also spilled over to other teams. There was a brief story on the local news that a Broncos player who is a close friend of Vick's has also been visited by cops about whether or not he is involved. Also, Vick and his buddies have all acted like it's no big deal, sorry pal but it is a big deal, you broke local, state and federal laws. You will pay for you actions.

striker

Mar 10, 2005
Colorado
Since I don't know everything about the Vick situation specifically, and don't want to take an uninformed stance, I will say this.

If the NFL is having a blanket policy to crack down on crime and other things that "give the league a bad image", then they have to follow the same blanket policy they used for Pacman or Tank Johnson (there are probably better examples...). Is the dog fight thing as bad as other crimes? Maybe not. But if the policy they're using is a zero tolerance one, then this falls under it...
NASCAR is really the only sport that has taken a serious step(s) to do anything about events that tarnish it's image. NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL all are laughable regarding drug testing and discipline therein. NASCAR drug tests constantly and drivers are regularly punished for violations. In the last 6years, there have been 3 BUSCH series drivers who have lost their racing license and been banned. The one idiot tested positive 3 seasons in a row, the first time was a 3 mos. suspension from racing, the 2nd was a loss of all racing credentials (license, track ban) for a full year, 3rd offense and he was gone for good.

Where has any other sport taken any similar stance?

RMPGP

Feb 16, 2006
Ron's side:

As a society we:
> Eat veal/foies gras (which is severely tortured)
> Wear furs/leather (even fake fur is real fur now, from china, where they skin dogs alive)
> Eat meat (when we could actually get any healthy benefits of meat from other sources and could be vegetarian)

All of the animals in the three above things die brutal deaths (some worse than others). So why do we suddenly get so emotional when another type of animal is mistreated, because it's one we like? Does that make sense? Either we should be trying to save every animal or we should just let things happen against all animals equally and not discriminate.

This isn't my belief, I'm just laying out that side of the argument. The cultural part I won't buy into though and didn't repeat.

I guess my reply would be:

> I will admit it's hypocritical, but I'm not perfect. I think we are clear on the fact we don't let animals combat each other for entertainment though. Cock fighting (not a pet) is pretty illegal all over.

That's where we draw the line: fighting for entertainment and torturing for no need. How does it benefit society to have those laws in place? The entertainment one means we won't breed animals to be aggressive, and with less aggressive animals, less people will be harmed by them. The torturing (cruelty) allows us to go after someone who has the potential for murdering and torturing actual people in the future. Apparently this is a very common trait of serial killers and murderers.

As for the food, I think at some point in the future, we will no longer eat meat. We'll advance to the point where we'll probably look back on when we did and think we were brutal savages. Not only is it unsanitary, it's also very wasteful of natural resources.

SilasMarner

Aug 18, 2006
Canada
Yeah, i'm also one of the bigger-picture hypocrites....but to completely rationalize away any feelings doesn't feel right either.

There are way bigger problems; and even if i do conradict myself, so what? This tabloid story may lead to a bit less animal cruelty.

I have stolen RB's hilarious "nice bumper sticker quote" diss (sorry Kanye), but didn't he tell Fez that sometimes corny sayings become that way cuz they're true?

(funny slightly related IM on O+A the other day after Ant's joke bombed: "turning comedy into tragedy")

watsonnostaw

May 6, 2005
the man is pro abortion and pro dog fighting.... attay boy bennington

i would like for ronnie to one day discuss his masturbation habits since he seems to have an interest in ESD and Earl's

such as what landmarks has mr bennington jerked off at?

my claim to fame? Arlington Cemetery

Polack

Who is John Galt?
Aug 25, 2005
Ron has a realistic view on this. Yes it is bad the way they killed the dogs but who gives a shit. Every year hunters like me are given the right to go out and shoot deer and other animals with a ridiculously large rifle. Hundreds of thousands of deer and small game die each year compared to a few hundred fucking dogs that are just like wild animals. For you people to say it's bad to kill a dog by drowning it or by hanging it is stupid. Every year I blow a hole into the side of a whitetail the size of a baseball shattering it's ribcage and making minsmeat out of it's organs. sometimes the deer is still alive when I walk up to it and I have to shoot it again in the head. Down south the rednecks have dogs that fight to the death. Up here we hunt. this is what people do. Everyone just needs to shut their fucking mouths and wait to see if he is guilty. You can't judge a community until you've grown up there and experienced their lives. It's a fucking animal. If you feel so bad for these animals become a fucking cop and do something about it instead of whining on a messageboard.

striker

Mar 10, 2005
Colorado
Ron has a realistic view on this. Yes it is bad the way they killed the dogs but who gives a shit..
Cool, where do you live. I want to come and kill your dog the way they killed those who were weak in the "test fight". After all, who gives a shit right.

Every year hunters like me are given the right to go out and shoot deer and other animals with a ridiculously large rifle. Hundreds of thousands of deer and small game die each year compared to a few hundred fucking dogs that are just like wild animals. For you people to say it's bad to kill a dog by drowning it or by hanging it is stupid. Every year I blow a hole into the side of a whitetail the size of a baseball shattering it's ribcage and making minsmeat out of it's organs. sometimes the deer is still alive when I walk up to it and I have to shoot it again in the head..
Way to miss the point. I assume your an ethical hunter? You eat what you kill or are you a moron who hunts for the joy of killing and leaves the carcass behind? Notice the difference, most animal rights groups will give ethical hunters, and those who eat what they kill a break. BUt they will attack trophy hunters who kill solely for the thrill. Those who hunt for the thrill of the kill are the ones who give hunters a bad name, and in the end help lead to hunting bans.

Down south the rednecks have dogs that fight to the death. Up here we hunt. this is what people do. Everyone just needs to shut their fucking mouths and wait to see if he is guilty. You can't judge a community until you've grown up there and experienced their lives. It's a fucking animal. If you feel so bad for these animals become a fucking cop and do something about it instead of whining on a messageboard.
No, most rednecks will tell you that this is not the way it's done. And you right you can't judge a community, until they make the news on a daily basis for the same shit. WHen I see stories on the local news about cockfighting rings being broken up, the last names aren't Smith, Jones, Bennington, McDonald, they are Torres, Sanchez, Gonzalez. When I see dog fighting rings broken up, I don't see white guys like Op, Ant, Ron, Fez or Dave being led away in cuffs, I see Earl Douglass look alikes. As much as I hate racial stereo types and the racism I hear on O&A, they are not far from the truth. When was the last time there was a white on white drive-by in your neighborhood?

mstscc

My man has The Beetus
Feb 14, 2006
Albuquerque, NM
I'm with striker on this one. There is more dog and cockfighting going on than you think. Last year New Mexico finally banned cockfighting after years of debate. Why the debate? Because of the "cultural signifigance" cockfighting has in the Hispanic community in parts on New Mexico, and the massive economic impact cockfighting has on some counties. These were the arguments the state representatives made for years before we got the laws passed. BTW, these are roosters with razor blades tied to their claws, not just a couple of roosters doing what roosters do.

One other thing that I don't think was brought up today was what happens to the dogs when they don't win- the drownings, the hangingss, the beatings, just the absolute torture. Regardless of what happens to Vick, maybe the dark truth of dog fighting has opened some eyes at least.

Polack

Who is John Galt?
Aug 25, 2005
Cool, where do you live. I want to come and kill your dog the way they killed those who were weak in the "test fight". After all, who gives a shit right.

These are dogs that are not treated like pets. That is why they are useless to any community. I live in Aurora Wisconsin. If you want my name PM me. I will gladly tell you it. That way when you come after my family pet you will be dealt with. Killing a family pet has consiquences. Killing a wild animal has been done since man has tasted meat.

Way to miss the point. I assume your an ethical hunter? You eat what you kill or are you a moron who hunts for the joy of killing and leaves the carcass behind? Notice the difference, most animal rights groups will give ethical hunters, and those who eat what they kill a break. BUt they will attack trophy hunters who kill solely for the thrill. Those who hunt for the thrill of the kill are the ones who give hunters a bad name, and in the end help lead to hunting bans.

I kill to feed my family. Every single deer I have killed has been gutted, skinned and cut by me for the sole purpose of food. I hate trophy hunters. We get those fuckers coming up here form Chicago and Green Bay. With one exception. I hunt Coyotes which are considered a varmint up here and nobody eats them. Just like Pitbulls they are wild fucking animals. We kill them so caulky asses like you can have a pet outside at night and not worry if it will get attacked in the middle of the night.

No, most rednecks will tell you that this is not the way it's done. And you right you can't judge a community, until they make the news on a daily basis for the same shit. WHen I see stories on the local news about cockfighting rings being broken up, the last names aren't Smith, Jones, Bennington, McDonald, they are Torres, Sanchez, Gonzalez. When I see dog fighting rings broken up, I don't see white guys like Op, Ant, Ron, Fez or Dave being led away in cuffs, I see Earl Douglass look alikes. As much as I hate racial stereo types and the racism I hear on O&A, they are not far from the truth. When was the last time there was a white on white drive-by in your neighborhood?

Just so you know I do think what those crazy fuckers down south do to animals is wrong but I also think that as a society we have grown to be outraged by the dumb shit on the evening news instead of the real problems facing this nation. For all you people to judge people before they are found guilty is a hypocracy. If you were in this situation you would want a fair trial. To be complaining about some dogs that died a horrible death and ignore the fact that the leaders in this country are sending your neighbors to a country to give them the freedoms that they don't want is ridiculous. We are on the top of the food chain, Help the fellow humans out before you save a fucking wild animal.
My reply is in bold

Garyisajoke

I created FRED, fuckface. Show some respect.
Nov 20, 2005
D.C.
Instead of saying which is worse, why can't we just say that **** and dogfighting are both bad and leave it at that, not get into a pissing contest about it?

The reason Kobe's situation was less controversial was because from the get-go, most people figured she fucked him and wanted some money out of it (which is what happened). He's Kobe fucking Bryant, he doesn't need to **** anyone. It's going to get a lot worse for Vick because there's no gray area here - dogs can't consensually fight like the chick consensually fucked Kobe. Either he did it or not.

Holy shit that's a terrible argument...

Oh and Mikepop is right on the money. You can't be wrong when you're stating your opinion. I'd give you good karma if Wackbag had it.

Angelfuck

Jan 6, 2006
Static Age
I have a problem with people putting themselves above animals, thats one thing I never understood when I was a child and being taught the bible, the dominance over all animals part. Animals may be dumb but they still feel pain, in my opinion intentionally hurting an animal is just as bad as hurting a child or a retard, either one makes you a cruel bastard. For those that say its wrong to eat animals, Im not sure I can agree, animals eat each other, we are mammals too, I guess I just have to keep pretending that the deaths of the animals Im eatting weren't painful

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
Las Vegas
You absolutely can be wrong when you state an opinion. If I say "my opinion is 2 + 2 = 147 or my opinion is that Chicago is on the pacific ocean" my opinion would be wrong. People have the right to an opinion, but that doesn't mean that all opinions are correct.

Angelfuck

Jan 6, 2006
Static Age
those aren't opinions, thats just stating false information, an opinion is a view, perspective or judgment based on ones individual beliefs, you can agree or disagree with an opinion, but the nature of an opinion is that technically there is no way to prove or disprove one