Ron's Take on Dog Fighting

It's just still amazing to me that in 2007 we tend to place a higher value of life to animals than humans. I know we need to protect the defenseless, I get that. But there's no proportionality being used with this case at least.

Horrible thing, yes. The level of outrage far exceeds that one would expect for the cruelty of the act.

RMPGP

Feb 16, 2006
Jesus christ this issue is as bad as abortion...

Can we simply agree to disagree everyone? :action-sm

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
It's just still amazing to me that in 2007 we tend to place a higher value of life to animals than humans. I know we need to protect the defenseless, I get that. But there's no proportionality being used with this case at least.

Horrible thing, yes. The level of outrage far exceeds that one would expect for the cruelty of the act.
I don't see how this comes off as placer a higher value on dogs than human life. Where are people getting that idea?

If he is found guilty of this disgusting act then he should do some time and be fined. But if he was doing the same thing that was done to the dogs on humans (forcing them to fight to the death, slamming the losers to the ground in order to finish them off, drowning them, and tying up a woman so stronger men could Rap* her to make strong babies) he would get a lethal injection.

Do you see my point? It’s not the same as doing it to humans so the penalty will be less but it is still fucking disgusting. Which, by the way, is where the outrage comes from.

ern

Hiding behind my keyboard
Jan 25, 2006
I don't know about some of you, but I put myself on a higher plane than animals. I have the ability to reason, I have opposable thumbs, and unless dinosaurs come back in a big way - I'm on top of the food chain. Just a couple of reason why. But if your on the same plane as them, then how about sleeping outside, I'll leave you my table scraps.

EVOLUTION..the strong survive and the weak perish. Not my fault that cats didn't invent firearms.:p

Angelfuck

Part of the Ronnie B. crowd
Jan 6, 2006
Static Age
so you'd shoot a baby because it can't reason and eats whatever you feed it? "whaa"

Polack

Who is John Galt?
Aug 25, 2005
so you'd shoot a baby because it can't reason and eats whatever you feed it? "whaa"
Not unless I was in a plane crash and me and the child were the only survivors. Survival of the fittest. And yes I have a three year old and a two year old. "They're adorable" But first I would save as much meat from the rest of the dead victims and eat that until I ran out.

striker

Why yes, I am an asshole, so what?
Mar 10, 2005
Colorado
My reply is in bold
SInce when are pitbulls wild animals? I know several people with pit bulls that are as friendly, hell probably more so, then my spanial mix. One of my co-workers has two of them, one male and one female. The female rides with him in the semi all day, he fires up the semi at 6am, she hops in the sleeper and curls up and goes to sleep. Never barks or makes a sound, hell she'll flop over on her back to belly scratched from total strangers. I suspect the only person she would ever bite is ESD if she knew his background. The male spends the day at home with his wife and 4 kids (all under 10), in 5 yrs the dog has never bit or growled at his kids. I can't say the same thing about my spanial mix.

striker

Mar 10, 2005
Colorado
I don't know about some of you, but I put myself on a higher plane than animals. I have the ability to reason, I have opposable thumbs, and unless dinosaurs come back in a big way - I'm on top of the food chain. Just a couple of reason why. But if your on the same plane as them, then how about sleeping outside, I'll leave you my table scraps.

EVOLUTION..the strong survive and the weak perish. Not my fault that cats didn't invent firearms.:p
Reality check, go for a swim with some great whites or wander Kodiak island and tell me who is at the top of the food chain.

striker

Mar 10, 2005
Colorado
I'm with striker on this one. There is more dog and cockfighting going on than you think. Last year New Mexico finally banned cockfighting after years of debate. Why the debate? Because of the "cultural signifigance" cockfighting has in the Hispanic community in parts on New Mexico, and the massive economic impact cockfighting has on some counties. These were the arguments the state representatives made for years before we got the laws passed. BTW, these are roosters with razor blades tied to their claws, not just a couple of roosters doing what roosters do. .
If people only knew how fucked up some of the states are out here in the west. Hell, I think the POW nickname would change something worse. Colo., Tx., NM, Az we have some fucked up people out here because of so many of the illegals coming up from Mexico. I'm in Alb. weekly picking up loads and the shit I see that goes on.............

RMPGP

Feb 16, 2006
No, now go back to defending ESD:action-sm
The curious thing in this thread is I believe we have found the root of your Dave hatred: his violation of a dog. We have also found your achilles heel. :action-sm

Polack

Who is John Galt?
Aug 25, 2005
SInce when are pitbulls wild animals? I know several people with pit bulls that are as friendly, hell probably more so, then my spanial mix. One of my co-workers has two of them, one male and one female. The female rides with him in the semi all day, he fires up the semi at 6am, she hops in the sleeper and curls up and goes to sleep. Never barks or makes a sound, hell she'll flop over on her back to belly scratched from total strangers. I suspect the only person she would ever bite is ESD if she knew his background. The male spends the day at home with his wife and 4 kids (all under 10), in 5 yrs the dog has never bit or growled at his kids. I can't say the same thing about my spanial mix.
You are correct. Some pitbulls are family pets. I had one when I was five and the thing was a perfect pet. But if you want to insure your home. Almost every company you contact tells you they will not insure you because of the dog. I just purchased my home four years ago and two years ago I wanted to buy a baby blue pitbull. They said no and also told me I couldn't have any other off their list. The list had five dogs on it. Even though they make great pets they are also the first to bite a childs head and kill it if the baby looks at him wrong. They are very dangerous which is why I think they are more of a wild animal than a safe family pet.

Polack

Who is John Galt?
Aug 25, 2005
Reality check, go for a swim with some great whites or wander Kodiak island and tell me who is at the top of the food chain.
We have the ability to pull a trigger. That makes me the top of the food chain. I work in the woods everyday and see alot of blackbear and wolves. My pistol is always on my side. That puts me at the top.

chickenfinger

Drink The Kool Aid! Drink It!
Nov 23, 2006
I disagree with Ron about dogfighting.

I aplogize for my harsh tone.

<------15lb Boston Terrier. He meant business. The pit bull I used to own years ago was as gentle as a lamb.

D

Drinkingbuddy

The whole segment was really interesting but I thought the caller got the best of Ron. Yelling that there are more important problems is one of the biggest rhetorical cop-outs there is and I cringed little when i heard him say it. When Ron mimicked the "mutual exclusive" point the caller made after he had hung up was embarrassing to hear. Especially, since it was a pretty good counter point.

I love Ron, he's a hilarious, cigar smoking, knife wielding, witty, abortionist and doesn't give a fuck about anyone outside his own clique and I respect that. I aspire to be it.

But the whole argument was way to much like Rush Limbaugh. A host yelling things ridiculous statements trying to setup an insane false dichotomy that no rational person would allow themselves to be trapped in.Different cultures place different values on certain animals. Spain does bullfighting, Mexicans (apparently) love cock fighting, Arabs have Stallion fights, and Indians (Vishnu not TaTonka) love all kinds of animals and have temples dedicated to cows, monkeys and rats to name a few.

American love dogs and too bad for Michael Vic dog fighting in the United States is illegal, so arguing about if it moral or immoral really doesn't matter. Personally I love those lil' doggies and if honestly hope that if Vic is found guilty he gets the worst of whats coming to him.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
gotta be honest
think Ron is one of the 3 funniest guys on radio
never liked pitbulls
but i just had a bad feeling in my gut
listening to this argument
just didn't sit right with me
that's all i got
not gonna bother me that much though
if vick's guilty, he deserves what he gets

Garyisajoke

I created FRED, fuckface. Show some respect.
Nov 20, 2005
D.C.
gotta be honest
think Ron is one of the 3 funniest guys on radio
never liked pitbulls
but i just had a bad feeling in my gut
listening to this argument
just didn't sit right with me
that's all i got
not gonna bother me that much though
if vick's guilty, he deserves what he gets
is that a poem?

T

trar911

If dave gave the exact same opinion as Ron, everyone here would be apeshit. there would be 10 threads about how dave was wrong, but because ron said it many of you all defend him. I love ron and most of what he says is awesome. this isn't one of those things.
Most people hate animal violence more than human violence. just like men have larger brains than women... its science!

Jan 22, 2006
Chi-Town
For the most part I agree with Ron. Dogs are not humans... it's not comparable.

America has much bigger issues right now than a guy fighting dogs against each other.

Midnight Rider

Jan 17, 2007
I completely agree with Ron (and would agree with Dave if had the same opinion). The way I look at it is, how does Michael Vick and dogfighting affect my life? It doesn't. Not one bit. Yes, its brutal, and yes it's sad, but there's nothing I can do to stop it, and there's nothing that would be done if got upset or outraged. They're just dogs.

If they came in and killed my pets the way they do those dogs, then of course, I'd have a problem with it, but only my pets, not every other dog that gets treated that way. Sure, I feel bad when I see a neglected or abused dog, but that's not my business. I keep walking/driving by and say to myself "how sad." Then, I go back to more important things. Same goes with other small things.

As far as Ron's "bigger problems" argument, I agree with that too. There are much more important things than animal cruelty. I'm not saying that it's not a problem, but I care first and foremost about the things that affect me directly. Dogfighting in Georgia doesnt even show up on my radar in my grand scheme of things.

I think that was Ron's point. It's not like he was saying that it's okay to kill dogs. I think he was saying that dogfighting/abusing dogs was so inconsequential individually to his life, he didn't care as much as some people.

RMPGP

Feb 16, 2006
Well the "there's more important things" argument doesn't really fly since this can be applied to almost any issue at all. The law is on the books. Ron Mexico broke this law. The NFL doesn't tolerate players making it look bad. He's getting punished.

If you want to argue that it shouldn't be a law, that's a different argument. Not this one. It is a law, he broke it, he's getting punished. Simple as that.

RMPGP

Feb 16, 2006
I'm such a devil's advocate faggot, I will play both sides of the issue.

But the caller really was a cunt yesterday. I do strongly believe that.

Midnight Rider

Jan 17, 2007
I'm not arguing that we should turn a blind eye to lawbreakers. But, I'm not in law enforcement. It's not my job to investigate and arrest the ones who break the law. That's their business, lawbreakers and law enforcers alike. If I witness dogfighting actually happening, then I might be one to call the police, just as if I witnessed a **** or assualt. But that's a big might. I don't call on me and my friends smoking..things. If its in my neighborhood and the dogs run loose and threaten me and my family, then yeah, I'd call. It's all about, how does it affect me. A QB and his family/friends in Georgia affects me none. That's why I don't care about this story as much as others seem to.

One of my (and I think Ron B's) questions is.....why the focused outrage over this particular crime (which he'll get justly punished for if he's guilty), and not for every other crime being committed?