Roofing question

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
OK wanted to throw this out there to make sure I'm not completely unreasonable.

I'm currently negotiating to buy a house. The home inspector determined that there's a skylight that's probably 20 years old, leaking and looks like it was reused when the roof was replaced 5 years ago. Isn't it typical to replace these things when the roof is replaced? I don't think they cost that much compared to an overall roof job, and it allows the roofers to properly shingle and flash around them to tighten them from weather. Plus if the old one were to fail, you'd have to patch back into your nice new roof (not the end of the world, but more work for someone). Seems like someone cheaped out on something that they didn't need to cheap out on.

What u think?

Seems like someone cheaped out on something that they didn't need to cheap out on.
Isn't this what most people do regardless of the what the money is being spent on?

Roofers probably suggested it, homeowner went cheap and left it. It's not like the roofing crew had one on the truck when they showed up to shingle the roof.

MurphCO

Donator
I think that if this house is in Colorado you will be replacing the roof due to hail soon anyway......

Which also means the homeowner probably went on the cheap to fix it when it broke previously.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
OK wanted to throw this out there to make sure I'm not completely unreasonable.

I'm currently negotiating to buy a house. The home inspector determined that there's a skylight that's probably 20 years old, leaking and looks like it was reused when the roof was replaced 5 years ago. Isn't it typical to replace these things when the roof is replaced? I don't think they cost that much compared to an overall roof job, and it allows the roofers to properly shingle and flash around them to tighten them from weather. Plus if the old one were to fail, you'd have to patch back into your nice new roof (not the end of the world, but more work for someone). Seems like someone cheaped out on something that they didn't need to cheap out on.

What u think?
Not necessarily. Of course it's a good time to replace the skylight if it needed to be done, but it's not an automatic fix when re-roofing. Is the leak from within the skylight assembly, or between it and the roof?

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Not necessarily. Of course it's a good time to replace the skylight if it needed to be done, but it's not an automatic fix when re-roofing. Is the leak from within the skylight assembly, or between it and the roof?
From the home inspector, he said the skylight itself appears to be failing and leaking. But until they pull it off, I'm guessing they can't determine whether there was sufficient flashing and protection around the light itself. I assume the roofer did a competent job reincorporating the skylight into the new roof and the leaks don't extend beyond the light, but I've asked that the roof underlayment be examined for deterioration when they replace the window.

Top Bottom