OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Roommates

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by H.G. Manifold, Sep 15, 2011.

1. H.G. Manifold

H.G. Manifold Registered User

We moved into a place at the beginning of June with another couple to try to save some money and stuff. Obviously, since I'm posted this, it isn't working out. The primary reason is that the House and the Landlord Fucking SUCKS... It took him 2+ months to get outlets installed on the 3rd floor of the unit, as there weren't any (we had to run a 50' extension cord!). Note, him doing this was in the lease. So we (both couples) agreed that we will both move out and will give him at least 45 days notice (10/31/11). We never received our copy of the lease and the landlord cant find his, so we figured 45 days would be plenty of time.

So, we all start looking for new places and just before we give the landlord our notice, our roommates think they want to stay, but only if they can pay less monthly. So basically we present the landlord with this: either we all move out and breaking the lease, or they stay at a lower rate and he keeps paying tenants. He decides to let them stay at a much lower rate.

Here is where it gets tricky and I don't really know what to do... We have paid 1200 for the security deposit - 600 each. Since were the (seemingly) "assholes" moving out and they're not, are we entitled to our 600 back? It would be different if we all moved out as I'm sure the landlord would just keep the deposit. But when/if they leave at the end of the lease, they'll get 1200 (minus whatever).

Do we wait and get the 600 when the lease is up May (but what if they stay longer???)?
    Does the landlord pay us the 600?
    Do they give us the 600 when we move out?

Fuck, i don't know!!!!!??!!!?!?

BTW, were all still really good friends and all, we just like our own space and shit.

2. Poison The Well

Poison The Well Somebody poisoned the water-hole!

Talk to them about it. Find out what they want to do. It sounds like you're not exactly on bad terms with them and more on bad terms with the landlord.

3. H.G. Manifold

I did say that we are still friends, but they fucking suck at managing their money and whenever we talk about it, they get very butt-hurt. Plus they hate making decisions like this so i'm trying to get an idea of if where i should even go with it, ya know?

4. the Streif

the Streif ¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
    Donator

First mistake you made with your roommates is that you had roommates. Never, ever have roommates. It almost never works out unless your in college and sharing a dorm.

5. Danesy

Danesy Cute but psycho, it all evens out.

I don't think that's true. While it's not fun... I have 2 roommates now... they're not bad. My one roommate is the one that fixes everything, and I hardly see the other one cause he works 3-11. Oh and the one that fixes everything works overnights, so when I'm at work, he's sleeping, and by the time I get home he's gone. It's awesome. And it's saving me money right now when I'm going through this unemployment shit (I have been temping on and off).

I think I got really lucky though in this situation, I didn't know either of them coming into this, I found it on Craigslist, and it turned out great. Of course I'd rather live alone, but it could be way worse.

6. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

It's a tough one. Technically, since you "broke" the lease, you're probably not entitled to the deposit. However, since the deposit is going to carry over, I would expect friends to buy you out with the original $600. That's what I would do if I were in the situation, because it's the right thing to do. The thing is, you entered into an agreement to live in the house, splitting rent and the deposit. Since you decided to leave and they decided to stay (even with a new agreement with the landlord) they would have a point if they didn't want to pay you back your half immediately, since they didn't plan on it.

Talk to them. Ask them what they think. Perhaps set up a payment plan where they pay you $100/month over the next six months, which will buy you out of the deposit completely and take the burden of a one-time payment off of them.

7. Wrecktum

Wrecktum Tounge puncher of fart boxes

Me and my roomate get along great. I work 9am till 5ish By the time I get home from work he's at work. I don't see him till 9pm-10pm. Could also help that I have the basement the only thing we share is a washer and dryer and kitchen which is all together. Pretty tits situation.

8. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

If you're leaving before the end of the lease, write off the $600. You can ask for it, but don't expect it. And don't ask more than once if you want to remain friends.

And from now on use this rule of thumb. Never share a home with someone you're not fucking or related to.

9. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Says the guy who rented a place without having his own copy of the lease after 3 months. :action-sm

I'd do this. Close enough to next May when you guys are all able to "walk away" from the lease without being legally liable for anything else. Landlord's probably not going to want to let that deposit cover the last month's rent so make sure they take pictures and leave the place immaculate when they leave so he can't go after your for additional "damages."

One other thing. Seems kinda fishy the guy waited over 2 months to do something he agreed to do in "his" house and now all of a sudden agrees to a "much lower rate." Installing a couple of outlets shouldn't have cost him more than a few hundred bucks.

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy's broke and isn't paying the mortgage anyway and your friends could come home to find a sheriff's notice taped to their door and find themselves on the street. Have them check with the county and see if the property isn't in foreclosure already. Him not being able to find any paperwork makes me also think he's just walking away from it.

And I would protect yourselves and draw up a new lease that properly sublets the place to them. If something happens to one of your friends, you'll be on the hook for it if you're on the lease.

10. LB75

LB75 Registered User

This is the best advice you could get. My wife went through this with roommates a few years before we got married. She moved out under similar circumstances and then the other roommates bailed and stopped paying rent. My wife ended up being taken to court since she was the only one the landlord could track down (the others moved out of state). The court judgment haunted us for years, especially when we applied for our first mortgage. Whatever you do from here on, get it in writing.

11. H.G. Manifold

Says the guy who has all of his previous leases, check copies, emails, and texts, digitized and stored on a hard drive in a safe. ;)

They're signing a new lease, that is basically for the rest of the original lease, that we wont be on. Its not really even a matter of the landlord as if he gave us our 600 back, they would now owe him money to bring it back to the amount the deposit should be for. That said, 600 is a large enough amount of money that could, possibly, sway us in to not moving if we didn't want to. We could just say fuck it and suffer through the next 8-9 months.

It sucks but we've become the assholes that are leaving and now were on the receiving end of this bullshit.

We're having a sit-down tonight to talk it over.

12. H.G. Manifold

For fucks sake. They've decided to leave too. FML.

/thread.