Root Kit for Droid X1

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
I bought a Droid X on ebay to mess around with; anyone know a good source to root this thing so I can install Android 4 (maybe)?

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
You're gonna have to check out xda because it depends on what firmware you're running and which appropriate bootstrap method is required for that. Moto didn't make it easy because their bootloaders are locked.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
Hmm kay. It's got 2.3 on it already. Man that has to be a bummer to buy a phone and only get, like 1 or 2 software updates! My iPhone 4 would run just about everything but Siri and 3d maps. Other than that, I could run any app in the store. I'm noticing quite a few apps wont run on this thing.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
There's a few ICS roms out there for the X that work pretty well; I have ICS on my old X, use it as a music streamer in my basement. Runs pretty nice.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
Z4Root (if it's still around), one click root app. Look on rootzwiki, droidforums, xda for roms, there's still development for the phone. I loved mine, great phone.

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
looks like i may be wrong in my posting but at the very least you can toy around with the Android OS.....i think you'll be impressed regardless

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Well, you're definitely not wrong Jef, Moto had no plans to ever put ICS on the X. I doubt they even intended to put GB on it, but I'm sure X fans would have torn their throats out if they didn't. It's only due to the excellent work the devs at XDA and other sites put in, that we have the ability to use our old wheezy phones long past their use-by dates! Like I said, I have ICS CM9 running on my old X and it actually runs very well. Is it flawless? No, but I guess that's the tradeoff you make to have an unsupported version of android running on your phone. I have ICS on my Thunderbolt too, and it was actually SUPPOSED to get ICS until HTC decided to screw over every early adopter of 4G from Verizon by saying "Sorry, we didn't make the phone open enough to run ICS, you fuckers lose"....

Doesn't run perfect, couple of weird glitches, but that's because HTC won't share source code, and probably drivers, with the devs. You'd think they'd say screw it, it's an old phone anyway, who cares?

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
Thanks for the info! I bought this thing so I can test my websites in android, but I'm re-acquainting myself with the os as well. Not much has changed.