"Round 2" version 2.0 Taking the gloves off...

UsedLadBag

Your moms box.
... and staying out of jail. I know I essentially posted this in the other thread, but I think the idea needs to be more measured.

OK, I'm not super pissed anymore after reading what Earl's doing. So I've had some time to rationally think of what we can realistically do to put the pressure on the XM execs without ending up in jail. We need a multifaceted approach. Some thoughts (that I think are legal -if not then just strike them off the list, or point out what the limit is that trancends a lawful protest into an illegal act that can't be endorsed). Obviously some of these ideas need some development, but I'm trying to be brief.

1. Target talk shows on XM that depend on the phones. We don't even need to be funny or obnoxious. We could develop a standardized message that is delivered once we get past the screeners. Something that gets across why we're calling and what we demand. First thoughts on the message: "I'm calling to censor your show and silence the discourse of ideas, since the XM exec's have censored Opie and Anthony. Censoring will continue until the executives of XM apologize on air to O&A and stop censoring the content of their show." -just get through the screeners and repeat the message over and over until they hang up on you. No discourse, no anger, just a monotone repitition. Everyone calls and repeats the same message. I believe this is legal and would totally derail a show. We do it enough and listeners outside the O&A sphere will get pissed, once they get involved the pressure gets turned up on the XM execs.

2. Legal AOTM. Legal but obnoxious behavior to get on the news. Key element: NO mention of O&A whatsoever. Message is "XM -stop censoring your programming!" Old rules apply, no touching the reporters, no swearing, etc.

3. Obnoxiuos protest videos on youtube. I made the "beheading" video of my XM unit to get people to talk about it. Key: do not mention that you REPRESENT PAC or O&A (etc). You can mention that you support their efforts. Don't say that you ARE them. PAC is a straight organization, that can't directly endorse those tactics. However, you can make an obnoxious protest video in support of PAC that people talk about that may offend people without it being obscene.

We need to keep the battle of free expression in the news to keep pressure on XM and the merger. The only way the media will pick up on it is if there is a new story, if the videos are outragous enough or the AOTM are prevalent enough, the acts themselves become a story that the media will pick up on it. This gives the straight organizations (like PAC) the chance to get back on the media shows to rationally explain why these events are occuring and what should be done.

4. Directly support PAC. If you are in NY, attend their protests. If you are elsewhere, email Deb and offer to participate in a protest in another city. Recruit others to join PAC. If a critical mass can be obtained in cities other then NYC, then we can organize national protests. Support PAC financially, make a donation. Raise some money for PAC and send it to them. I think Deb is setting up the financial aspect of PAC, stay tuned... we need an update.

5. Continue to make your displeasure known. Keep emailing and calling to make your continuing dissatisfaction known. Inbox-o-cocks for everyone?

Anyway, let's develop ideas here, discuss the pros and cons of each, the feasibility of any tactic, and the limits within each approach that should not be crossed or endorsed.

Burger

Fuck ALL Forms of Censorship
1. Target talk shows on XM that depend on the phones. We don't even need to be funny or obnoxious. We could develop a standardized message that is delivered once we get past the screeners. Something that gets across why we're calling and what we demand. First thoughts on the message: "I'm calling to censor your show and silence the discourse of ideas, since the XM exec's have censored Opie and Anthony. Censoring will continue until the executives of XM apologize on air to O&A and stop censoring the content of their show." -just get through the screeners and repeat the message over and over until they hang up on you. No discourse, no anger, just a monotone repitition. Everyone calls and repeats the same message. I believe this is legal and would totally derail a show. We do it enough and listeners outside the O&A sphere will get pissed, once they get involved the pressure gets turned up on the XM execs.

Before I go searching high and low for the information, is there a compiled list of these shows, hosts, phone numbers, etc. that has already been put togetehr?

UsedLadBag

Your moms box.
I don't have any list, but some "low hanging fruit" that might be a tempting target with large returns would be any of the shows that air on Oprah's channel. I'd guess that women's programs would have a low tolerance to having their phones taken away. Plus there is more pressure if XM execs see the protests spilling over into other channels. Thoughts?

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
then theyre gay cuz im hawt as fawkl
I'm sure you are. A little note to you, remember the phrase "Your Mom's Box". You'll be getting banned fairly shortly and that's the last line we want to see you post.

Biff Hardslab

I have the t-shirt
What about those of us that have jobs and other resposibilities that preclude devoting 23 1/2 hours a day to a radio show? What can we do?