Roy Scheider dead at 75

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/11/movies/11scheider.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Roy Scheider, Actor in ‘Jaws,’ Dies at 75
By DAVE KEHR
Published: February 11, 2008

Roy Scheider, a stage actor with a background in the classics who became one of the leading figures in the American film renaissance of the 1970s, died on Sunday afternoon in Little Rock, Ark. He was 75 and lived in Sag Harbor, N.Y.

Mr. Scheider had suffered from multiple myeloma for several years, and died of complications from a staph infection, his wife, Brenda Seimer, said.

Mr. Scheider’s rangy figure, gaunt face and emotional openness made him particularly appealing in everyman roles, most famously as the agonized police chief of “Jaws,” Steven Spielberg’s 1975 breakthrough hit, about a New England resort town haunted by the knowledge that a killer shark is preying on the local beaches.

Mr. Scheider conveyed an accelerated metabolism in movies like “Klute” (1971), his first major film role, in which he played a threatening pimp to Jane Fonda’s New York call girl; and in William Friedkin’s “French Connection” (also 1971), as Buddy Russo, the slightly more restrained partner to Gene Hackman’s marauding police detective, Popeye Doyle. That role earned Mr. Scheider the first of two Oscar nominations.

Born in 1932 in Orange, N.J., Mr. Scheider earned his distinctive broken nose in the New Jersey Diamond Gloves Competition. He studied at Rutgers and at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, Pa., where he graduated as a history major with the intention of going to law school. He served three years in the United States Air Force, rising to the rank of first lieutenant. When he was discharged, he returned to Franklin and Marshall to star in a production of “Richard III.”

His professional debut was as Mercutio in a 1961 New York Shakespeare Festival production of “Romeo and Juliet.” While continuing to work onstage, he made his movie debut in “The Curse of the Living Corpse” (1964), a low-budget horror film by the prolific schlockmeister Del Tenney. “He had to bend his knees to die into a moat full of quicksand up in Connecticut,” recalled Ms. Seimer, a documentary filmmaker. “He loved to demonstrate that.”

In 1977 Mr. Scheider worked with Mr. Friedkin again in “Sorcerer,” a big-budget remake of Henri-Georges Clouzot’s 1953 French thriller, “The Wages of Fear,” about transporting a dangerous load of nitroglycerine in South America.

Offered a leading role in “The Deer Hunter” (1979), Mr. Scheider had to turn it down in order to fulfill his contract with Universal for a sequel to “Jaws.” (The part went to Robert De Niro.)

“Jaws 2” failed to recapture the appeal of the first film, but Mr. Scheider bounced back, accepting the principal role in Bob Fosse’s autobiographical phantasmagoria of 1979, “All That Jazz.” Equipped with Mr. Fosse’s Mephistophelean beard and manic drive, Mr. Scheider’s character, Joe Gideon, gobbled amphetamines in an attempt to stage a new Broadway show while completing the editing of a film (and pursuing a parade of alluring young women) — a monumental act of self-abuse that leads to open-heart surgery. This won Mr. Scheider an Academy Award nomination in the best actor category. (Dustin Hoffman won that year, for “Kramer vs. Kramer.”)

In 1980, Mr. Scheider returned to his first love, the stage, where his performance in a production of Harold Pinter’s “Betrayal” opposite Blythe Danner and Raul Julia earned him the Drama League of New York award for distinguished performance. Although he continued to be active in films, notably in Robert Benton’s “Still of the Night” (1982) and John Badham’s action spectacular “Blue Thunder” (1983), he moved from leading men to character roles, including an American spy in Fred Schepisi’s “Russia House” (1990) and a calculating Mafia don in “Romeo Is Bleeding” (1993).

One of the most memorable performances of his late career was as the sinister, wisecracking Dr. Benway in David Cronenberg’s adaptation of William S. Burroughs’s “Naked Lunch” (1991).

Living in Sag Harbor, Mr. Scheider continued to appear in films and lend his voice to documentaries, becoming, Ms. Seimer said, increasingly politically active. With the poet Kathy Engle, he helped to found the Hayground School in Bridgehampton, dedicated to creating an innovative, culturally diverse learning environment for local children. At the time of his death, Mr. Scheider was involved in a project to build a film studio in Florence, Italy, for a series about the history of the Renaissance.

Besides his wife, his survivors include three children, Christian Verrier Scheider and Molly Mae Scheider, with Ms. Seimer, and Maximillia Connelly Lord, from an earlier marriage, to Cynthia Bebout; a brother, Glenn Scheider of Summit, N.J.; and two grandchildren.

poppAwoody

C colon enter
May 23, 2006
LI, New York
that was a good movie, I didn't think to pick him in the death pool, dammit

Biff Hardslab

I have the t-shirt
Jan 15, 2007
I guess Heaven needed another shark killing cop.

Steam

May 18, 2003
At least him and Kinter boy can have a nice long tearful embrace.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Scheider dies, eyes roll back. Dead eyes, like a dolls eyes.

Farewell and ado my typecast actor...

sd187

yousabird
Mar 13, 2005
good actor. use to see him jogging in the city in the 70's.

poopiebottoms

Sparkling Wiggles Lover
Aug 23, 2002
1989 - Baba Booey!
Chief Brody Dead

Sorry, didn't see this was already posted here:

http://www.wackbag.com/showthread.php?t=85170

Please close or merge this thread.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20080210/120271416000.html

[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=+1]'Jaws' Actor Scheider Dies at 75[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Sunday February 10 11:16 PM ET[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1] Roy Scheider, a two-time Oscar nominee best known for his role as a police chief in the blockbuster movie "Jaws," died Sunday. He was 75. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Scheider died at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences hospital in Little Rock, hospital spokesman David Robinson said. The hospital did not release a cause of death. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]However, hospital spokeswoman Leslie Taylor said Scheider had been treated for multiple myeloma at the hospital's Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy for the past two years. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]He was nominated for a best-supporting actor Oscar in 1971's "The French Connection" in which he played the police partner of Oscar winner Gene Hackman and for best-actor for 1979's "All That Jazz," the autobiographical Bob Fosse film. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]However, he was best known for his role in Steven Spielberg's 1975 film, "Jaws," the enduring classic about a killer shark terrorizing beachgoers and well as millions of moviegoers. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Widely hailed as the film that launched the era of the Hollywood blockbuster, it was also the first movie to earn $100 million at the box office. Scheider starred with Richard Dreyfuss, who played an oceanographer. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"He was a wonderful guy. He was what I call 'a knockaround actor,'" Dreyfuss told The Associated Press on Sunday. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"A 'knockaround actor' to me is a compliment that means a professional that lives the life of a professional actor and doesn't' yell and scream at the fates and does his job and does it as well as he can," he said. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]In 2005, one of Scheider's most famous lines in the movie "You're gonna need a bigger boat" was voted No. 35 on the American Film Institute's list of best quotes from U.S. movies. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]That year, some 30 years after "Jaws" premiered, hundreds of movie buffs flocked to Martha's Vineyard, off the southeastern coast of Massachusetts, to celebrate the great white shark. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]The island's JawsFest '05 also brought back some of the cast and crew, including screenwriter Carl Gottlieb and Peter Benchley, who wrote the novel that inspired Spielberg's classic. Spielberg, Scheider and Dreyfuss were absent. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Dreyfuss recalled Sunday a time during the filming of 'Jaws' when Scheider disappeared from the set. As the filming was on hold because of the weather, Scheider "called me up and said, 'You don't know where I am if they call.' [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"He'd gone to get a tan. He was really very tan-addicted. That was due to a childhood affliction where he was in bed for a long time. For him being tan was being healthy," Dreyfuss said. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]He added that Scheider "was a pretty civilized human being you can't ask for much more than that." [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Scheider was also politically active. He participated in rallies protesting U.S. military action in Iraq, including a massive New York demonstration in March 2003 that police said drew 125,000 chanting activists. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Scheider had a home built for him and his family in 1994 in Sagaponack in the Hamptons, where he was active in community issues. The oceanfront house featured five bedrooms, four fireplaces and various decks and porches. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Last summer, Scheider announced that he was selling the home for about $18.75 million to singer-songwriter Billy Joel and was moving to the nearby village of Sag Harbor. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]___ [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Associated Press writer Jacob Adelman in Los Angeles contributed to this report.[/SIZE][/FONT]

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
I'm genuinely saddened by this news, I really liked the guy. The remake of Wages of Fear (Sorcerer) , with the Tangerine Dream soundtrack was one of my favorites.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Hmmm I didn't know that celebrities come down to Arkansas for treatment. UAMS is one of the best hospitals in the world but you always just hear about celebrities going to Cedars Sinai or something for treatment.

Oh well. Sucks to die from skin cancer that way. Stay out of the sun folks. Don't go and sit in a fucking tanning bed either. It's all bad for you.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
"I guess God needed a bigger boat."

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
multiple myeloma isnt skin cancer, its bone cancer

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
He was the original choice to play John Rambo in the 1982 film, First Blood

ShavedLebaneseBear

Question: What kind of bear is best?
Oct 17, 2002
West Coast
Dammit. I was beat to the obvious and hacky "You're gonna need a bigger..." joke.

And, myeloma is actually a cancer of the cells in bone marrow, not the bone itself.

-Tim Technical :action-sm

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Dammit. I was beat to the obvious and hacky "You're gonna need a bigger..." joke.
Silk Pillow's in the Coffin, Scheider'a in the coffin, our Scheider.

This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on an actor... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see myeloma spill out all over the UAMS floor.

Quint: You wanna drink? Drink to your myeloma.
Hooper: I'll drink to your myeloma.
Quint: Okay, so we drink to our myelomas!
:action-sm

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
That's really bad news. That guy was one of the best. He was in some of my favorite movies too. Like Jaws, The French Connection and Blue Thunder.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd3lDhyM21M[/media]
Had one of the best chase scenes. (May have to watch it tonight now)

RIP Roy Scheider

"Catch ya later"