Royal Rumble

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Just watched the 1991 Royal Rumble on On-Demand

Got a question on how that gets booked. How do the wrestlers know when and where to get eliminated? Is anyone feeding them signals? Or is it truly a free-for-all except for the last (1,2,3,4?) wrestlers? For instance, Rick Martel and Greg Valentine lasted over 45 mins before being eliminated. Was this all pre-scripted beforehand?

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Just watched the 1991 Royal Rumble on On-Demand

Got a question on how that gets booked. How do the wrestlers know when and where to get eliminated? Is anyone feeding them signals? Or is it truly a free-for-all except for the last (1,2,3,4?) wrestlers? For instance, Rick Martel and Greg Valentine lasted over 45 mins before being eliminated. Was this all pre-scripted beforehand?
Yes. Some guys like Mick Foley can improv matches (although I don't if there's anyone like that left in the business) but you don't improv anything when you have a match with that many people involved.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Yes. Some guys like Mick Foley can improv matches (although I don't if there's anyone like that left in the business) but you don't improv anything when you have a match with that many people involved.
Normally I agree, but it seems way to chaotic to script out the entire thing. Not like there's some deep mind games going on, it's just a bunch of guys punching and elbowing for 60 minutes.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Normally I agree, but it seems way to chaotic to script out the entire thing. Not like there's some deep mind games going on, it's just a bunch of guys punching and elbowing for 60 minutes.
It's not scripted down to the punch but you can bet the order of entry and elimination is worked out.

jimmyjimjimz

Wackbag's version of The Miz
Aug 12, 2005
Rockaway Beach, NYC
What happens if the person who's supposed to win accidentally gets eliminated? I've always wondered that.

Biff Hardslab

I have the t-shirt
Jan 15, 2007
What happens if the person who's supposed to win accidentally gets eliminated? I've always wondered that.
They spit in the owners face, break t.v. monitors, pout in the ring, and then become bitter old men and eventually come back to work for the same company.

UCJOE

I have a lot of business with the Chinese
Mar 7, 2009
NJ
They spit in the owners face, break t.v. monitors, pout in the ring, and then become bitter old men ahttp://www.wackbag.com/images/smilies/appl.gifnd eventually come back to work for the same company.

:clap:

you can add "blame everything on the kliq"

jimmyjimjimz

Wackbag's version of The Miz
Aug 12, 2005
Rockaway Beach, NYC
They spit in the owners face, break t.v. monitors, pout in the ring, and then become bitter old men and eventually come back to work for the same company.
Wait, that actually happened? What year? And the year Bret Hart and Lex Luger both won, was that supposed to happen?

UCJOE

Mar 7, 2009
NJ
Meltzer
Some Royal Rumble notes. Jim Duggan is pretty much confirmed for the show. He had indie bookings this weekend that he had to cancel at the last minute. Others expected are Road Warrior Animal (which makes sense since his son plays for the St. Louis Rams) and Road Dogg. Other notes include Brodus Clay getting his full ring entrance at the Rumble, and they are back on the push Mason Ryan bandwagon as of this week. That's one that can change on a moments notice, though.
My guess is Animal will be involved in Punk's match & Duggan being there is due to the anniversary of him winning the first one but Road Dogg???

UCJOE

Mar 7, 2009
NJ
Meltzer

My guess is Animal will be involved in Punk's match & Duggan being there is due to the anniversary of him winning the first one but Road Dogg???
Animal said he was contacted but he cannot be there due to a conflict
Maybe its a swerve

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
If you go to Youtube, I recently saw a video posted on Reddit that highlights some of the times the ring mics pick up what wrestlers are saying in the ring. One of those times was (one of) the Rumbles where a bunch of people were trying to toss Big Show over. The ring mic picked up what he was saying as they were all kind of huddled around him trying to eliminate him. He gave a really quick, basic "I'll go [wrestler], then [wrestler], then [wrestler]." He then did exactly that and either eliminated those three or at least focused on them.

I'd say it's so much easier to set things up when there are so many people in the ring at one time. So many noises being made so that no one hears anyone planning it out.

I'll look for that Youtube video and post the link in here.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
[yt]OSIaWVGZM2Y[/yt]

I still forget how to embed. I think I've been told at least twice by someone on this board, too.

There's another bonus one in there - don't know if it was RR or just an over the top rope Battle Royale with HHH trying to eliminate...Heath Slater I think it is? He bounces off the rope, back in, says "I know I fucked up," and then gets tossed out the other side. So they definitely know.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
My 7 year old cousin is OBSESSED with wrestling. All he does is watch Youtube wrestling, he can literally tell you the entrance order to a random 2002 RR.
Last year we bought the RR and had family over to watch it, this year my Grandpa is doing the same.
It's the 1 WWE thing I watch all year.

I'm excited that there's going to be a Hacksaw sighting. I'll definitely be "Hoooooooooo"ing around my grandparents house.
It makes sense that Animal would be there, and maybe get James Laurinaitis to do something (Rams), but scheduling conflict? What's he doing, wrestling in some $5 entry independent gym event?

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
Rhyno clued me and my friends into all the conversation that goes on in the matches during the 2002 (I think) RR. That, and we learned about the ref's crossed arm signal for REAL INJURY!

Before that, I only really picked up on the Irish whip reversals. I figured there had to be some kind of conversation, and a friend of mine that hangs out with all of the when they're in town mentioned it several times, but a lot of times it's not all that obvious until someone points it out when it happens.

I really love the Batista "I HATE YOU, TOO!"

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Rhyno clued me and my friends into all the conversation that goes on in the matches during the 2002 (I think) RR. That, and we learned about the ref's crossed arm signal for REAL INJURY!
What do you mean by conversation? Stuff like, "Man how about those Giants... How's your Dad?" Or you mean conversations about the match itself

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
Haha!
"Go back to Toronto!"
"I'm from Winnipeg you idiot!"

Also, the guy trying to stall while standing on the turnbuckle was pretty cringe-worthy.

topher520

learnings for queers
Jul 5, 2006
Boston
Very early but Link Please!...I got Russian ones that dont work anymore.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
So, are we talking 3 hours here, or more? I forget...

Last year I impressed the shit out of my family by "Guessing" Alberto Del Rio as the winner, after seeing it as a spoiler.
Who's got my spoiler?

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
So, are we talking 3 hours here, or more? I forget...

Last year I impressed the shit out of my family by "Guessing" Alberto Del Rio as the winner, after seeing it as a spoiler.
Who's got my spoiler?
:action-sm

walking joint

Nov 21, 2004
just wish it wasn't so expensive to buy these things...............

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
just wish it wasn't so expensive to buy these things...............
I'd taken to going to Blast Areas for previous watching enjoyment. Tonight is the first one I'll have gone to in 3 or so years. Whenever it was Floyd Mayweather vs. Big Show.

Almost wasn't going to bother going, due to the snow. Then I saw that these things are going for 54.99? Holy shit. Last time I actually ordered one, it was 24.99.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Who do you think wins this Rumble tonight? Jericho to set up Punk/Jericho?

I don't think Orton will win. He will get eliminated in his hometown by Wade Barrett. It obviously sets up a feud and gets heat on Barrett.

Sheamus, of the newer guys to the company, seems a good choice. Would he do it to get revenge on Henry and Bryan, set that up and wrap that unfinished business up? Maybe.

Jericho/Orton/Sheamus are the three I guess, and there are others but nobody really seems ready for it. I've got no idea who will win this, which is cool. ADR was too easy of a call last year.

Give Punk/Ziggler about half an hour please, let 'em tear the house down.

Cena/Kane is shit filler.

Eh, not strong enough to buy at 50 bucks, but maybe I'll get the DVD or replay if I really go nuts over it to support the company.