Ruck's "I don't know shit about home repair" thread.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Hello first and foremost I just bought a house and for the most part it's great. There are however things that need repairing and updating. My Mr. Fixit abilities are somewhere between non existent and mildly retarded. I hired a handyman to take care of some shit I don't want to touch. In any case while walking around I noticed my chain link fence is kind of messed up what do you think would do this?

MurphCO

Donator
Dec 13, 2011
Parts Unknown
Buy a grip of new ties and grab a pair of pliers, they bend very easily

Remove the shitty ones and replace

Easy

*edit
Read that wrong....something scraped across them, they are very pliable soft metal, doesn’t take much

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Buy a grip of new ties and grab a pair of pliers, they bend very easily

Remove the shitty ones and replace

Easy

*edit
Read that wrong....something scraped across them, they are very pliable soft metal, doesn’t take much
Okay. Could a dog or squerrel do that? Now I don't have a photo but one end of the fence pipe popped out. I have a feeling someone jumped over the fence and it came out. Now I want to put it back but I can't move it. I pushed the pipe a couple inches just to free it from perpendicular chain link fence but that's it.

MurphCO

Donator
Dec 13, 2011
Parts Unknown
Someone drug something over the top of the fence likely

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
I would agree with Murph...something dragged over the fence. Maybe the movers passed furniture over when the previous residents moved out, or maybe some recent yardwork. They're easily replaced, Home Depot should have stuff in their fence section near the lumber.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I would agree with Murph...something dragged over the fence. Maybe the movers passed furniture over when the previous residents moved out, or maybe some recent yardwork. They're easily replaced, Home Depot should have stuff in their fence section near the lumber.
It's actually the fence between me and my neighbor. Nothing should have passed through.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I took a picture this morning if the fence pole that is detached. Any idea on how I can move it back into place?

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
It's actually the fence between me and my neighbor. Nothing should have passed through.
Maybe a tree branch was rubbing on it or fell on it.

To fix that pole you unscrew the nut holding the cap piece on the post. Slide the cap over the pole and then rebolt it to the post with that ring.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Maybe a tree branch was rubbing on it or fell on it.

To fix that pole you unscrew the nut holding the cap piece on the post. Slide the cap over the pole and then rebolt it to the post with that ring.
I'll give it a go. I didn't think I could move it far enough over to make a difference. Thank you. I'll be sure to post some more repairs for retards questions.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
What else is on your honeydo list that we can help you screw up with
I'll be getting more photos of things. I have a garage that needs some work. My goal is to build some stairs for the loft in there so I can move all of my storage shit from the bottom up top. Maybe if I get a heater in there I can make that my hobby.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Here's something, what could I do for this. Not sure why the others owner left like this.

Trim ring (Stainless steel donut piece) is just loose, it should be snug against the wall. They probably pried it off to repaint the bathroom walls. Get a tube of silicone caulk, run a bead around the edge and push the ring tight against the wall. Let the silicone set up and it won't be loose anymore.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
I used to be as worthless as you when I bought my first house.

Now, I have the skills to build, wire, and plumb a house. Stick with it ruck. You'll be less useless in no time.

And - YouTube can teach you how to fix almost anything.