Ruck's "I don't know shit about home repair" thread.

MurphCO

Donator
You’ll begin to understand why your grandfather had such a giant set of tools and random shit in his garage/workshop

Because every fucking repair requires some new damned tool and eventually you buy them all

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
I used to be as worthless as you when I bought my first house.

Now, I have the skills to build, wire, and plumb a house. Stick with it ruck. You'll be less useless in no time.

And - YouTube can teach you how to fix almost anything.
I'm trying, it's always that one thing though where a situation is juuuuuuuust a little different and it throws me all out of wack.

ruckstande

You’ll begin to understand why your grandfather had such a giant set of tools and random shit in his garage/workshop

Because every fucking repair requires some new damned tool and eventually you buy them all
That's no joke, my dad who can no longer do much of anything anymore just gave me a toolbox filled with a bunch of wrenches and socket drivers both standard and metric and said as much. He has every standard size and then over the years individually purchased one that he needed for some thing he can't remember. I found a 1 inch socket driver in there. Maybe he was stealing street lights during the night and we didn't know.

MurphCO

Donator
YouTube has saved my ass a few times

It’s also my nemesis because sometimes I just don’t want to fuck with something and the wife decides “it looks easy”

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**

It’s also my nemesis because sometimes I just don’t want to fuck with something and the wife decides “it looks easy”
Her anus should be on the line for a statement like that, sir.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath

So many shitty uni-tasker tools that make that one job handy

I have a basin wrench (for swapping out kitchen faucets) and a doohickey to remove a drain from a tub. Tools I might get to use once every 20 years.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

Between my automotive tools and my wood working stuff my tool collection is insane, and I still end up having to buy a tool to complete some jobs, but I use that to avoid the “that job looks easy” from my wife, I’ve also started to force her to “help” me with some jobs, and usually about 1/4 the way in she will relize that it’s a pain in the ass to re-grout around the toilet, or recently I painted her “office” she started to comment on how I taped it up then finally realized why I did it the way I did when the tape started falling off about half way through the process in the places I taped it the way she wanted me to

ruckstande

Fuck I fucked up! I put my son in the bath upstairs and had to walk away when the doorbell rang. It was my realtor stopping by with a pie for Thanksgiving. We talked for maybe five minutes when I left to go tend to him. The little fucker splashed maybe a half in of water on the floor. He almost died. Unfortunately that's not my problem. The problem is this. He made such a mess water came through the downstairs bathroom ceiling. My question is can I just let it dry and paint it or is the ceiling coming out?

MurphCO

Donator
Let it dry really good

Where are you located? Is it normally humid?

Fuck I fucked up! I put my son in the bath upstairs and had to walk away when the doorbell rang. It was my realtor stopping by with a pie for Thanksgiving. We talked for maybe five minutes when I left to go tend to him. The little fucker splashed maybe a half in of water on the floor. He almost died. Unfortunately that's not my problem. The problem is this. He made such a mess water came through the downstairs bathroom ceiling. My question is can I just let it dry and paint it or is the ceiling coming out?

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
I would crank up any dehumidifiers you have to get it dried out. There's definitely a potential for mold growth if the area stays moist. And I would investigate the reason why the water is leaking through the floor. Some splashed water shouldn't be that destructive unless water has been collecting there previously.

Haeder

South Dakota
So many shitty uni-tasker tools that make that one job handy

I have a basin wrench (for swapping out kitchen faucets) and a doohickey to remove a drain from a tub. Tools I might get to use once every 20 years.
I have the doohickey to remove a drain from a tub. I may never use it again but that one time that I did use it made it worth the money.

I also have a pex crimp ring cutter that allows me to re-use fittings. I have never used it and it was worth every penny of the Menards rebate that paid for it.

ruckstande

I would crank up any dehumidifiers you have to get it dried out. There's definitely a potential for mold growth if the area stays moist. And I would investigate the reason why the water is leaking through the floor. Some splashed water shouldn't be that destructive unless water has been collecting there previously.
I don't have any of those. The water leaked because the water was touching every wall. He just dumped water out.

MurphCO

Donator
I have the doohickey to remove a drain from a tub. I may never use it again but that one time that I did use it made it worth the money.

I also have a pex crimp ring cutter that allows me to re-use fittings. I have never used it and it was worth every penny of the Menards rebate that paid for it.
Snap he went full Menards on you.....you gonna counter with a Fleet and Farm or Big R???

As for the leak, dude if it’s that moist you really need to make sure it dries well, it’s humid in NJ and yeah the mold could be a problem

5skin

You shouldn't bother with it until he's had another bath. Or as many as it takes.
No point in repairing it until you've solved the problem.

Foggy

I'm wasting my life here
Donator
Here's something, what could I do for this. Not sure why the others owner left like this.
Are you familiar with gyprock/sheetrock/drywall/plasterboard or whatever you guys call it? Because whatever that situation is, it looks like it needs restarting.

Also, is there still the tin of paint that that was done with left somewhere?

THE FEZ MAN

Are you familiar with gyprock/sheetrock/drywall/plasterboard or whatever you guys call it? Because whatever that situation is, it looks like it needs restarting.

Also, is there still the tin of paint that that was done with left somewhere?
You talk funny

THE FEZ MAN

Haha Foggy!

The guy with the DelCo accent thinks you talk funny.
Don’t you have a ticket to take care of in braynard? Or an accomplice to stuff in a wood chipper?

Haeder

South Dakota
Don’t you have a ticket to take care of in braynard? Or an accomplice to stuff in a wood chipper?
Ohhhhh yaaaaahhhhhh.

The latest midwestern verbal crutch is "ope". Usually at the beginning of a sentence to gain the attention of others before making a statement.

"Ope. Think I'll head 'er fer home. Gotta get up early tomorra."