Ruck's "I don't know shit about home repair" thread.

I've had roots pulled out of mine a few times in the last 23 years
Runs between 2 maple trees
It's not that expensive
They put a camera down last time and jetted it
Said the pipe looks ok
You can also buy root killer to pour in if you notice it draining slow

If your sewer pipe is clay or tile, plan on replacing it soon anyway. Guarantee roots or no roots that sucker is probably going to fail soon.

MurphCO

Enough of this palaver
Donator
Same kinda difference to people who don’t know the actual terminology

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Donator
Hello.

So, I have plans to redo my bathroom next month. I took a week off and plan on installing new tile using a schluter ditra underlayment and new toilet and sink. Tub was going to remain. Well, I discovered a soft spot that's was obviously older than when we bought the house. I cut out a piece of linoleum and low and behold it's rotted.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yXaBhzPhakBPaVBD8

Here is a view from inside the tub
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UCXWo81RJ3R4F6Ma9

What would y'all do?

Hello.

So, I have plans to redo my bathroom next month. I took a week off and plan on installing new tile using a schluter ditra underlayment and new toilet and sink. Tub was going to remain. Well, I discovered a soft spot that's was obviously older than when we bought the house. I cut out a piece of linoleum and low and behold it's rotted.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yXaBhzPhakBPaVBD8

Here is a view from inside the tub
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UCXWo81RJ3R4F6Ma9

What would y'all do?

It's only going to get worse. Best bet if you're replacing the floor anyway is to replace all of it.

ruckstande

Donator
It's only going to get worse. Best bet if you're replacing the floor anyway is to replace all of it.
You're right. Plus, my wife just said she want the tub replaced because if we're going to do it we're going to do all of it right. I also just noticed the floor dips in several places. I'm going to call my homeowners and see if this is something they would take care of.

You're right. Plus, my wife just said she want the tub replaced because if we're going to do it we're going to do all of it right. I also just noticed the floor dips in several places. I'm going to call my homeowners and see if this is something they would take care of.
It's probably just damage from years of wet feet getting out of the tub. Doubt your insurance will recognize that claim. If you have a home warranty you can check to see if they cover rot damage.

ruckstande

Donator
It's probably just damage from years of wet feet getting out of the tub. Doubt your insurance will recognize that claim. If you have a home warranty you can check to see if they cover rot damage.
I do have it but saw nothing that might cover it. I'll check anyway.

5skin

I'd never try to save a fiberglass tub.
And just replace the damaged area of the floor, there's nothing to be gained replacing what's fine.

ruckstande

Donator
And just replace the damaged area of the floor, there's nothing to be gained replacing what's fine.
The whole floor is fucked I think. Gonna take the whole tub out and replace sub floor.

If the subfloor is wood, I would take it all out instead of doing some patch job. Replace it with cement board underlayment so you will never have to worry about this again.

ruckstande

Donator
If the subfloor is wood, I would take it all out instead of doing some patch job. Replace it with cement board underlayment so you will never have to worry about this again.
I was just reading some quick info on that. I read that cement board isn't structural and wouldn't be used as subfloor.

I was just reading some quick info on that. I read that cement board isn't structural and wouldn't be used as subfloor.
Check the Depot, they may have a product now that does both, but I think traditionally they put the cement board over a subfloor of plywood and underneath the tile/laminate.

ruckstande

Donator
Check the Depot, they may have a product now that does both, but I think traditionally they put the cement board over a subfloor of plywood and underneath the tile/laminate.
This is what I'm sure of. I only have space to do one, not both.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
The whole floor is fucked I think. Gonna take the whole tub out and replace sub floor.
I use to work in residential construction and I've cut away small sections of subfloor for quick patch jobs dozens of times. Every one of those times, I also cut away a significantly larger section of floor and spent significantly longer repairing the damage than I initially thought.

Hope you can replace a small section, plan on replacing the entire floor, pray you don't have to replace floor joists.