Rumor - EA working on its own console

Oct 13, 2004
Westchester, NY
With trying to take over Take Two and the sports game market this makes sense.Game Informer is reporting a rumor that EA's console will be ready in 2010.

Boy have they come full circle. Seems selfish for them to do that and not release their games for all the consoles. It could technically work, IF (big fucking if) they do it right. Low price, gear it to the sporting fanatic, and get some of their side projects like Luca said the GTA series if they buy Take Two, and market it right, it could be a small competitor.

EA puts out the best sports games, period. Madden, NCAA, Tiger Woods PGA, etc.

But they also have a solid line up of other series that do very well. The Sims, Medal of Honorr, Need for Speed, Comand and Conquer, Burnout.

I say they go for it.

TallBaby

Unregistered User .
Sep 9, 2005
Dallas, TX
oof....

EA has had some great games in the past...but they've really mailed it in quite a bit lately. Most of the newer Madden games havent been overly impressive, their Nascar 08 game was a complete abortion, and the NCAA football franchise is basically the same game every year.

Monstercloud

Feb 15, 2005
NH
I like to call them "Sports Patches". Nothing huge changes about them except some small improvement in graphics, and an updated roster.

But they also have a solid line up of other series that do very well. The Sims, Medal of Honorr, Need for Speed, Comand and Conquer, Burnout.
The first three series you named are always half-assed releases (or in the case of Sims, Half-assed Expansions) and are overshadowed by other games in their genres. C&C seem to have a steady fanbase, even if it will be absolutely crush by SC2 when it gets released and Need for Burnout: Paradise kind of turned off some people.

Fuck EA in their fuckholes.

NightStalker3

a complete moron that posts
Oct 4, 2004
Is it called the "The Phantom" game console?

Fuck EA they pretty much shut out other publishers in locking up sole rights to license almost every sports major franchise with exception to MLB(2K Sports) and college basketball(which changes in 09 because of the NCAA not renewing licensing to the best selling and best playing College Hoops 2k8 :arrrh:)

Perch1019

Oct 4, 2004
White Plains, NY
oof....

EA has had some great games in the past...but they've really mailed it in quite a bit lately. Most of the newer Madden games havent been overly impressive, their Nascar 08 game was a complete abortion, and the NCAA football franchise is basically the same game every year.
I played Madden this year for all of 2 days before I was bored of it. Its constantly the same game with just some "ALL NEW FEATURE" added to the superstar mode which is a fucking joke already.
Tiger hasnt been good in a couple of years. I think it was last year they went to that Time Travel shit which was so stupid. This years they reworked the controls and the game is awful.
I learned the lesson with NCAA as I think they even gave up updating it and just throw some other guy on the cover and sell it.
They also totally dropped the ball by losing out on the MLB franchise when their game was the far superior one.
I got NHL for the PS3 which I havent played in a few years. The new controls are kinda shite but you can change that.

Unless they offer some kind of system at a really cheep price, I see this as nothing but a disaster for them

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Feb 10, 2006
Oceanside, NY
I got NHL for the PS3 which I havent played in a few years. The new controls are kinda shite but you can change that.

Unless they offer some kind of system at a really cheep price, I see this as nothing but a disaster for them
I like the new controls for NHL.

If they make their own console it'll be a 6 game system and they will be committing company suicide.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
I played Madden this year for all of 2 days before I was bored of it. Its constantly the same game with just some "ALL NEW FEATURE" added to the superstar mode which is a fucking joke already.
Tiger hasnt been good in a couple of years. I think it was last year they went to that Time Travel shit which was so stupid. This years they reworked the controls and the game is awful.
I learned the lesson with NCAA as I think they even gave up updating it and just throw some other guy on the cover and sell it.
They also totally dropped the ball by losing out on the MLB franchise when their game was the far superior one.

TW08 is an awesome game. Then again, since it's pretty much the only "realistic" golf game, I'm pretty much forced to love it.

But NHL 08 is the best NHL game since '94. I fucking love this game (and I'm not too shabby online either).

hypes

Flying over your heads
Sep 23, 2004
Iowa
I have several friends who work at EA (in software development and other areas of the company that I shall not reveal)... I talked to several of them, and they all said that NO DEPARTMENT in the company is working on a console system exclusively for their games.

In fact, when you sign up for the SDK's (Software Development Kits) for the PS3, X-360, and Wii, there's wording in the License Agreement that pretty much forbids creating a competing system.

-h

Rattlehead

Hey Asshole Face!
Jan 19, 2008
Fuck them, I'd buy a shoebox filled with dog turds with an Xbox 720 sticker slapped on it before I get anything from EA again.

The NHL games have barely changed since the PS one days, I stopped buying them in 05, but after reading a few posts here maybe i'll give 08 a chance when it hits 30 bucks brand new.

Perch1019

Oct 4, 2004
White Plains, NY
TW08 is an awesome game. Then again, since it's pretty much the only "realistic" golf game, I'm pretty much forced to love it.

But NHL 08 is the best NHL game since '94. I fucking love this game (and I'm not too shabby online either).
I hate the PS3 Tiger 08. Whatever they did to the analog swing sucks ass and I got so angry playing it I just stopped. I loved being able to put my face into it and make my own guy.

I havent bought an NHL since 02 or 03 when I was back in college. This game really does kick ass tho. I just couldnt get down the shooting with the sticks so I went to classic. I would constantly miss the net or not shoot at all.

Dec 9, 2004
West Chester
I hate the PS3 Tiger 08. Whatever they did to the analog swing sucks ass and I got so angry playing it I just stopped. I loved being able to put my face into it and make my own guy.

I havent bought an NHL since 02 or 03 when I was back in college. This game really does kick ass tho. I just couldnt get down the shooting with the sticks so I went to classic. I would constantly miss the net or not shoot at all.
Tiger was always too easy, the new swing stick is a lot more sensitive and therefore makes for a better game.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
EA lost my money forever when they turded over NBA Live years ago. Fuck them, I hope they collapse!

Apr 14, 2003
Eastern MD
Based on my own experience with EA products, and also the responses in this thread, (for the most part) EA has never improved upon a product that they have either production or developmental control over. They always seem to rush the product out no matter how buggy or shitty the quality. They get the exclusive licenses for all the sports games, so there is no viable competition. I would have killed for another Sierra/Papyrus NASCAR sim, rather than suffer through the shitty "sim" EA put out. It's all about the $ for EA.

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
fifa is probably the most improved sports title they do, for those who even like the sport to begin with. they really closed the gap with their competitor in terms of quality. a console? EA doesnt have that kind of muscle

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
EA sucks. Thank you.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
I wish EA would have some financial scandal already and dissolve their company and assets in bankruptcy.

They are fucking garbage and they are the China of the gaming world. They just put out cheap shit that's halfway done and unrefined.

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York

I say they go for it.
They do put out the best sports games...if this was 1998.

And Medal of Honor has been upstaged by COD. Funny thing is that COD is made by the same guys who made the original MOH one of the greatest games ever.

This new system will fall by the wayside. At least with Sega they dumped the whole console thing and went to what they do best, videogames. EA should learn from that and instead of making their own system or buy out the competition or buy out the rights away from the competition, why not try to improve what they have?
They have exclusive rights of the NFL and NASCAR and can make NHL and NBA games. So instead of turning out the same junk, why not make it better and different instead of the same ole same ole. That's what made Madden so big, even against fierce competition(unlike now!) They also have Need For Speed and Medal Of Honor. For Need For Speed they should do another "Hot Pursuit" type game(I had alot more fun with my friends trying to chase each other down than to race each other) and give MOH a total revamp.

boardsofcanada

You're a Charcoal Briquette..ditsoon..a moolinyan
Jun 8, 2006
haven't made a good sports game in at least 3 years....fuck them, greedy fucks.

Bananajuice77

West Coast Listener
Jun 18, 2003
Vacaville, California
Another American company putting out a console to compete with the Japs? I'm all for it, but EA doing it.. is just a rumor. They don't have the balls.

Jun 15, 2006
Long Island
EA sucks, their games haven't been good in years. Now that they hold exclusive contracts for most sports players associations, they are the only company able to make some sports games using real teams and players. They has been callign it in for years now on their games, same game every year just newer rosters. I would kill for NFL Fever again, and A Sierra Nascar title.