OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Rush fans: Official remix/re-release of Vapor Trails due October 1st

Discussion in 'Music' started by jnoble, Aug 7, 2013.

1. jnoble

jnoble Lingering longer for a longering linger

I'm surprised it's finally happened. The band has been talking and hinting and hemming and hawing for ten years about finally getting around to fixing and releasing a better sounding version of this album. I always assumed since the original album didn't sell too well that no record label was going to pay for a remix/re-release that would probably sell even less and only to the hardcore fans. The cover art is different too. Check out the link for more info

http://www.rush.com/

I only like about 5 songs off this one but I'll still buy it just to hear how much more improved the sound is. The first VT was the most chaotic distorted sounding mess I've ever heard outside of Metallica's St Anger. Geddy and Alex have both said for years that they felt guilty releasing such a crappy sounding mix and wanted to finally fix it

mrbucket75 likes this.
  2. CougarHunter

CougarHunter Lying causes cat piss smell.

They were in town over the weekend, but I couldn't swing a 7pm sunday night show and still get up at 4am. Had I had a bit of advance notice, I would just taken Monday off.

3. jnoble

The tour is over now I believe. The DVD is due out sometime soon. I saw them in Hershey PA in June. They didn't play The Body Electric or Dreamline in my particular show that night though. And even though they paid to have it remixed and re-released, no songs from Vapor Trails were played this tour or the last one. I don't think that one aged well with them over the years.

4. ruckstande

ruckstande Posts mostly from the shitter.

Shockingly Presto is still my favorite next to Hemispheres.

jnoble likes this.
  5. CougarHunter

CougarHunter Lying causes cat piss smell.

The one I really wanted to see was the tour they did through KC a few years ago where they did the complete track by track Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves albums.

6. jnoble

Just Moving Pics, they've never played Permanent Waves start to finish. Jacob's Ladder hasn't been done live since 1981 and Different Strings has never been played live. I found it awkward to listen to only because Geddy lost a lot of range in his voice and strains like crazy singing anything pre-1982.

7. jnoble

Presto is one of my favs too. The biggest gripe about it since forever is it's thin production but the band was going for a stripped down sound at the time and hadn't gone back to using Les Pauls/Fender Jazz guitars in the studio yet. Neil and Geddy both mention this album as one they wish they could re-record in hindsight because they think some of the songs could have been taken farther. Personally, I really like Show Don't Tell, Superconductor, Chain Lightning, Scars, Available Light, Hand Over Fist.

8. jnoble

mrbucket75 and ruckstande like this.
  9. mrbucket75

mrbucket75 Registered User

Interesting, how about the high end on Roll the Bones?

10. ruckstande

ruckstande Posts mostly from the shitter.

11. mrbucket75

mrbucket75 Registered User

Its very good. I do like it much better. But..... I do like the original too. Still one of my fav's.

12. jnoble

I bought it the day it came out. It's definatly better sounding but, compared to everything before it and some after....a very mediocre Rush album that doesn't really sound like them throughout. The only "Rush" moment in the entire album is the interplay between the bass guitar and drums while Alex lays down a groove in the guitar breakdown of Secret Touch. And the intro to One Little Victory. That's about it.