Rust-Oleum NeverWet

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
I have zero legitimate use for this product.

I know, because I've been spending the last half hour trying to justify buying it.

I'm still going to buy some, just to play with it. This is going to be fun.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I've read about people using it on satellite dishes to combat rain fade. I'm going to give that a shot.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Should be a big hit with magicians who pour a glass of milk in a paper bag.

I want to coat a porpoise and watch him dehydrate.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
I could see a legitimate reason for putting it on your clothes. But then how would you wash your clothes? I'm assuming it's not a "dirt repellent"...so dirt could still get embedded in the fibers of your shirt. But then when you go to wash your shirt...would the water not be able to penetrate and clean the dirt? I mean, that might sound like a dumb question...but it's got me wondering.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
I could see a legitimate reason for putting it on your clothes. But then how would you wash your clothes? I'm assuming it's not a "dirt repellent"...so dirt could still get embedded in the fibers of your shirt. But then when you go to wash your shirt...would the water not be able to penetrate and clean the dirt? I mean, that might sound like a dumb question...but it's got me wondering.
Oh, that's what I'll use it for! I'll coat the top of my umbrella. No more wet umbrella when I throw it into the car!

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Oh, that's what I'll use it for! I'll coat the top of my umbrella. No more wet umbrella when I throw it into the car!

I would totally douse my bathing suit in it. Come out of the pool and not have a wet bathing suit. Sweet.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
I've read about people using it on satellite dishes to combat rain fade. I'm going to give that a shot.
Won't work. The rain fade comes from the signal getting absorbed by the water in the air, not the small amount on the dish.

Nov 29, 2006
FL
How often does it need to be re-applied in outdoor applications? I would coat everything in my boat with this. Seems like it would also be great for furniture, carpets, car seats... basically anywhere Scotch-gard would be used. Also, could you spray it on windows, like a longer-lasting version of Rain-x?

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
Ok, I got some yesterday and put it on my umbrella.

I may have overdone it. Scratch that: I know I oversprayed. Which is something I always do. That said, the surface even after 24 hours to dry feels tacky. I also got the "frost" finish, so that may be part of the problem. I'm going to keep experimenting with it, but not with anything I really like (except the umbrella: I've had that damn thing for over a decade, man...) until I really get a good feel for it.

Fuck it, it's $20 at Home Depot.