Rustoleum Kitchen Transformations

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
http://rustoleumtransformations.com/

Anybody have any opinions on this stuff? Durability? Ease of install?

My only real concern about install would be if it was self-leveling or not.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
It looks like a very well designed ad campaign.

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
NW Ohio
I was slightly interested in the counter top stuff until I saw the "speckle spreader". This product has no use outside of a trailer or modular home.

MetalBender

I like fistables.
Dec 20, 2009
New Orleans....Iowa
$200 worth of crap you gotta let dry for 48 hrs after jacking with it vs $300-600 in countertops that are once and done in a few hours. If you lie this product you might like Durhams water putty as well.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Well like anything it is about the prep work.... sanding... sealing... priming etc...

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
honest opinion or typical wackbag smart ass answer?

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Do you have post formed counters or flat work counters?

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
I don't have a lot of counter top
in my kitchen so I'd just replace them.
That's way too involved for me.
Looks too much like work and
I really hate prep and paint work.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
My wife was making plans for new countertops in our new house before we even moved in. She hates what is in here. They are 2" tiles, and needless to say there is a TON of grout to try and keep clean.

The new ones will be soapstone, just like our old house. Not cheap, but very nice looking and more durablethan anything else.

JimsInfectedEye

That's very hurtful, sir.
May 21, 2005
Philadelphia
I tried it on the cabinets. I didn't do the countertop.

Prep is a mofo. They send you a DVD (same video online) on how to prep everything. There's no sanding, but you gotta stick to the instructions. We tried a short cut and wound up having to do a few doors over - the paint chipped (whassat?) right off.

Hey, if you don't have a lot of money for new cabinets, this stuff is ok. Add some shiny hinges and handles, and you can see a noticeable difference.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
There's Nothing Wrong with that Kitchen

I constantly say that to all those home improvement shows

Fuckin' Dipshits have to Improve on everything after they move in

Get Ahold of yourselves

That money is useful elsewhere

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
There's Nothing Wrong with that Kitchen

I constantly say that to all those home improvement shows

Fuckin' Dipshits have to Improve on everything after they move in

Get Ahold of yourselves

That money is useful elsewhere
I think the worst offenders was Trading Spaces on TLC... the stupidest thing I have ever saw was one of the "designers" covered the walls with silk flowers in the bathroom... ummm how the fuck are you supposed to keep that clean?

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
I tried it on the cabinets. I didn't do the countertop.

Prep is a mofo. They send you a DVD (same video online) on how to prep everything. There's no sanding, but you gotta stick to the instructions. We tried a short cut and wound up having to do a few doors over - the paint chipped (whassat?) right off.

Hey, if you don't have a lot of money for new cabinets, this stuff is ok. Add some shiny hinges and handles, and you can see a noticeable difference.
How did you try to shortcut things? I sanded everything instead of using the deglosser. I don't think that'll hurt me any. I hope.

This particular situation was for a rental. If this was for my home, I'd go with new granite/stone countertops and cabinets. It's not. It's for tenants who may well fuck everything up, and having a system that will let me repair those kind of damages instead of going out there and forking over for new granite countertops every time some asshole gets pissed off at his landlord makes a lot more sense.

I've already done the cabinets and I'm in the middle of doing the countertops. I'll post some photos later, but so far it seems to be going quite well.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
I'll post some photos sooner or later, but the countertops look really good. The cabinets look decent, but the countertops look really, really good. The trick is the sanding after you put the chips (yes, I said "what's that" like a fucking star fucking dipshit every 2 minutes the entire time I was doing this project: I hate myself for that) on. You really have to have a light hand for that part. Going Mongo on it and just scrubbing away at it will give you bald spots in the material.

But damn, it's shiny as fuck when you're done. If this stuff lasts, it's a pretty damn good deal.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
Well Done , Mr.

Glad you're happy with the results

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
A buddy of mine from work just redid his bathtub this weekend with their epoxy paint product. I'll report how it came out once I hear from him.