Rutgers' Ray Rice decides to turn pro

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005

Tuesday January 08, 2008, 3:33 PM

Ray Rice is headed to the National Football League.

Rice, Rutgers' all-time leading rusher, will announce at a news conference later today that he will forego his senior season, said Jason Baum, the sports information director at Rutgers.

Rice broke two of his own school records in his final game, yards in a single-game (280) and a single-season (2,012). He broke the school mark for yards in a career earlier this season. He finishes with 4,926 yards and 50 touchdowns.

NightStalker3

a complete moron that posts
Oct 4, 2004
No fumbles, not a big guy or a guy that has caught many passes. Will have to see how he pans out at the combine. Could be a nice little workhorse for a team.

Cybouncer

Not Fat, Big Boned!
Feb 26, 2006
Long Island, NY
You, sir, do not watch much college football if you're asking that.
I think he was kidding:action-sm

No brainer here. What more could he have done to increase his stock had he come back for a Senior year? There have been too many cases of late where a players draft stock dropped because he came back for a Sr. year and didn't do as well as in previous years. Not to mention if he gets hurt, he loses everything.

He'll be a good pickup for someone.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005

No brainer here. What more could he have done to increase his stock had he come back for a Senior year? There have been too many cases of late where a players draft stock dropped because he came back for a Sr. year and didn't do as well as in previous years. Not to mention if he gets hurt, he loses everything.

He'll be a good pickup for someone.
Two words, Michael Bush.

totalpakaj

Sep 14, 2005
Back into the college football shithole goes Rutgers. They became objects of scorn when the douchebag Rutgers student section started chanting shit at the Navy football team. The lot of the student section should be waterboarded

May 7, 2003
Hicksville NY
Rice reminds me a little bit of leon washington...Just a stronger runner....Will help someone out

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
He could impress in the combine but he's probably an early round two guy. If the Pats still had their pick at the end of round one he might have been the kind of guy they took with the last pick.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
UPDATE

Rutgers' all-time rushing leader Ray Rice said today he chose to forego his senior season and enter the NFL draft to fulfill a dream of going pro -- and because his time in the 40-yard dash convinced him he could compete on Sundays.

Countering questions about whether he is fast enough for the next level, the 5-foot-9, 202-pound running back said he ran a more-than-respectable 4.46 three times last summer at Rutgers. Several scouts had projected him to be in the 4.6 range in the 40-yard dash.

"He will be a great NFL back," Rutgers coach Greg Schiano said during a news conference today, the day after Rice announced he was leaving the Scarlet Knights.

TheICON

Showstopper, Main Eventer
Jul 20, 2005
Bronx, NY
Then I, sir, am a complete douchetool. I apologize. :icon_redf

BUT ANNNNNYYYWAYS :icon_wink What teams are going to need a RB next season? The first few picks in the draft, the Dolphins won't (provided Ricky Williams doesnt get hurt or suspended again), the Jets won't (with Leon Washington and Thomas Jones already filling the spots), The Rams probably won't... But I can definitely see the Raiders and the Chiefs drafting a RB. And some maybes are the Falcons and Ravens.. And that's looking at the top ten picks in the draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall to late in the first round, if not early 2nd. So that kinda sucks, considering he seems to have a lot of potential.

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
Well before the combine you have to think that McFadden, Jones, Mendenhall, Stewart, and Smith are ahead of him. He might go before Stewart and Mendenhall based on the team, if they're more north and south they probably take Rice ahead of them.

Chino Kapone

Jun 10, 2005
This draft is loaded with backs. Unless a team has a chance at a McFadenn or Adrian Peterson, teams will most likely wait till the 2nd+ rounds unless its an absolute need. 1st round picks should be reserved for offensive and defensive linemen.

TheICON

Showstopper, Main Eventer
Jul 20, 2005
Bronx, NY
This draft is loaded with backs. Unless a team has a chance at a McFadenn or Adrian Peterson, teams will most likely wait till the 2nd+ rounds unless its an absolute need. 1st round picks should be reserved for offensive and defensive linemen.
Please tell the Jets that. I beg you.

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
Then I, sir, am a complete douchetool. I apologize. :icon_redf
Don't sweat it man. And yes I was only kidding.

This guy's gonna be a great second round pick. I could see him going first round, but it, as stated before, all depends on the needs of the respective teams. I think he will actually be the 3rd or 4th back picked in the draft. We'll just have to wait and see how well he performs in the combine.

Chino Kapone

Jun 10, 2005
Don't sweat it man. And yes I was only kidding.

This guy's gonna be a great second round pick. I could see him going first round, but it, as stated before, all depends on the needs of the respective teams. I think he will actually be the 3rd or 4th back picked in the draft. We'll just have to wait and see how well he performs in the combine.

It also kinda depends what Felix Jones does. 9.1 Ypc in the regular season. Fucking insane. I would love to see him stay another year under Bobby Petrino, but the Michael Bush factor is just too scary not to go. But right now hes projected as the 3rd back depending on how his combine goes. Dood is siiiiiiiiiiiick fast.

McFadden is gonna be trouble for any team that picks him. His brother is known across the state as a huge dealer, and McFadden just got in trouble at some bar in LR. Got cuffed for a fight in the early hours of the morning.

Ray Rice is gonna be a dependable solid back who can run over some linebackers. Im thinking early 2nd round.