Satellite phone recommendation?

Opie&JimmyShow

May 21, 2008
NYC
I'm going on a cruise this summer and will be away for a roughly 10 days. I was thinking about getting a satellite phone to bring with me. Anyone here have experience with them? Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Sent from your Mom's box.

MurphCO

Donator
Dec 13, 2011
Parts Unknown
The ships have WiFi unless it’s one of those super small sailboat cruises....

Plus you’ll have service at every port and sometimes randomly in the middle of the water, you’ll hear everyone else’s phones going crazy all of the sudden...

What route are you taking?

We had service in the middle of the Mediterranean on our last cruise, fucking 3G randomly

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
You have to pay for a WIFI package on a cruise. Most block streaming sites like HULU, and they also block SKYPE. You can only connect to certain social media sites like Facebook and Google +. The fastest package offered is $14 a day. Your best bet would be free WIFI sites in port. You would be better off talking to your phone provider and seeing if you can pay for a temporary package that has free roaming for the Caribbean.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Learn to go 10 days without a phone.

Wavy.
Beat me to it, option two, is to look at what your service provider offers, when I go to Europe I pay an extra 50$ and have cell service and a limited amount of data, then just use WiFi everywhere else, cell service in Europe is a great scam because there are so many carriers and they will all whack you for roaming fees if they can

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
"No, it's not a cell phone...it's a SATELLITE PHONE!"

MurphCO

Donator
Dec 13, 2011
Parts Unknown
Vodaphone in Europe, BITD I had a pay by the minute type burner phone I would just buy minutes for while in Europe, then with Vodaphone upgrading their service it was easier and cheaper to just buy the roaming package for the time I was there

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
I was on a carnival cruise last year. Wifi was pretty trash and expensive. The first day or so we had cell service. But my phone allows me to make wifi calls and texts so I was able to keep in touch with my mom while she had my son. ATT has a international day pass I forget how much it is 5 or 10 bucks a day. You can just use your phone like regular with no roaming charges. We were in the Bahamas they have a list of countries the day pass works it. Worth a look.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk