scale of universe

Stig

Wackbag's New Favorite Heel
Jul 26, 2005
NH
I feel even more insignificant now. Thanks.
I wonder where 909 posts fits into that scale.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
I seriously can't understand anyone who claims that there is no more intelligent life elsewhere in the Universe and in the same breath say that we are insignificant. If we are seriously the only sentient beings in this huge mind-fuck of a place, I'd say that's pretty significant. Fuck the Drake Equation, and fuck Carl Sagan for endorsing it. There's definitely life out there.

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
Hey, where's heaven?
Well if you want to get technical it would be outside of that big bubble at the end and much smaller than God. At least that's what they would tell you.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
I seriously can't understand anyone who claims that there is no more intelligent life elsewhere in the Universe and in the same breath say that we are insignificant. If we are seriously the only sentient beings in this huge mind-fuck of a place, I'd say that's pretty significant.
So it never occurred to you that a couple billion years vs the concept of infinite time was infinitesimally small?

If you've come to grips with the concept of infinity, you might suppose that we're an early blip in the timeline of life. The next time life spontaneously appears might not be for 5 quadrillion years, and that might turn out to be about the expected amount of time.

Sorry but I just think people don't respect the bigness of numbers enough, considering that the largest one is infinity.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
So it never occurred to you that a couple billion years vs the concept of infinite time was infinitesimally small?

If you've come to grips with the concept of infinity, you might suppose that we're an early blip in the timeline of life. The next time life spontaneously appears might not be for 5 quadrillion years, and that might turn out to be about the expected amount of time.

Sorry but I just think people don't respect the bigness of numbers enough, considering that the largest one is infinity.
Agreed. I always bring up the following quote in this context:

Time is in fact the hero of the plot. The time with which we have to deal is of the order of two billion years. What we regard as impossible on the basis of human experience is meaningless here. Given so much time, the 'impossible' becomes possible, the possible probable, and the probable virtually certain. One has only to wait: time itself performs the miracles.

- George Wald, Harvard University biochemist and Nobel Laureate, 1954

The Godfather

Spark it up for The Godfather and say!!!!!
May 9, 2007
"pot talk tuesdays" as opie would say

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
This is just an estimate but I'm guessing there are 700 billion other planets out there with sentience. That is a conservative estimate though.

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005

So by the same logic, the future, evolved version of the human race exists right now, many many lightyears away.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Time is in fact the hero of the plot. The time with which we have to deal is of the order of two billion years. What we regard as impossible on the basis of human experience is meaningless here. Given so much time, the 'impossible' becomes possible, the possible probable, and the probable virtually certain. One has only to wait: time itself performs the miracles.

- George Wald, Harvard University biochemist and Nobel Laureate, 1954
That's an awesome quote.

I once had a dumbassed thought that big bangs only happen when every single molecule in the universe was aligned the way it once was before. With the amount of random forces pushing against each other, obviously it would be impossible that that could ever happen. But the concept of infinity tells you that it must happen eventually.

It was a stupid thought, but I was proud to have had it since I was only 12.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
So by the same logic, the future, evolved version of the human race exists right now, many many lightyears away.
How did my logic suggest that? Explain.

I definitely think we're unique in existence btw.

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
If we are unique in existence, then the Bible is true.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
If we are unique in existence, then the Bible is true.
I think what mills is trying to say is that the timescale of the universe is so large, that we actually COULD be the only sentient beings currently in existence, but that doesn't mean we will be the only sentient beings ever to exist in the universe. There could have been one or more sentient races before we existed, and there could be many more after we cease to exist, just not necessarily ones that coexist with us.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
I think what mills is trying to say is that the timescale of the universe is so large, that we actually COULD be the only sentient beings currently in existence, but that doesn't mean we will be the only sentient beings ever to exist in the universe. There could have been one or more sentient races before we existed, and there could be many more after we cease to exist, just not necessarily ones that coexist with us.
But the time scale is still nothing compared to the size of the infinite universe.

The Godfather

Spark it up for The Godfather and say!!!!!
May 9, 2007
string theory or m-theory?

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Neon and his jew brain knew exactly what I was trying to say.

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
Neon and his jew brain knew exactly what I was trying to say.

OOOHhhhhhh. I gotcha now. Thanks, Jew.

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
Not convinced, are ya.
I'm not convinced. But I am now in a position to respect your argument as you have made a good point. However, with as many galaxies as there are out there, there's no way that life isn't on at least one of them, even if they are wondering the same thing about us.