School district employees accuse superintendent of racial discrimination

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Staff members in the Tukwila School District have filed a complaint against their superintendent, Ethelda Burke, for racial discrimination.
Their attorney, Joan Mell, has filed a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and called for the immediate suspension of Burke.
The complaint includes testimony from nine staff members who each have their own story of discriminatory comments or actions by Burke.
According to Mell, an athletic director and traffic coordinator was told not to hire any more black bus drivers because he was “making it look like a ghetto.”
When another black employee’s wife became pregnant, Mells says the superintendent said he ought to go on the Jerry Springer show, calling him a “typical black man.”
The attorney alleges that Burke has kept black employees from moving into new positions and promotions.
“These people embraced bringing an African American, educated woman coming into their district, and she comes there and completely disarms them,” Mell says. “It’s not an acceptable standard in today’s society to demoralize people according to their skin color, especially in a school environment.”
Mell says she hopes the district will hire a professional mediator to resolve this issue and promote black employees to positions she believes they deserve.
“They need to be compensated for working in a terribly hostile work environment,” Mell says.
While the complaint does not demand the district fire Burke, Mell does not believe the superintendent can adequately lead the district based on her past behavior.
“It’s impossible for her to have any credibility in a district that is that diverse and have any level of trust from the people she works with,” Mell says.
Mell says staff members came together after a former Tukwila superintendent initiated an internal investigation into Burke’s conduct.
“They feel an intense amount of embarrassment and shame,” Mell said. “Now that they’ve talked to one another they’re more incentivized to fight.”
We have contacted the Tukwila School District for comment but have not heard back yet.

Ethelda Burke, courtesy Tukwila School District.

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA

Ethelda Burke, courtesy Tukwila School District.
So let me get this straight. BLACK superintendent gets accused of racism because she won't put up with typical black behavior in her district? Makes sense.

Ok, I realize I just overly generalized this situation and pulled an Anthony here. But hey, what the fuck right?

MetalBender

I like fistables.
Dec 20, 2009
New Orleans....Iowa
She sounds like an honest no BS gal. Seems she wants the school to look respectable and she's being called on not being PC enough. Unfortunately it is people like her that they need to raise the standards for their entire race. As usual a spectacle is preferred over being respectable.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
She sounds like an honest no BS gal. Seems she wants the school to look respectable and she's being called on not being PC enough. Unfortunately it is people like her that they need to raise the standards for their entire race. As usual a spectacle is preferred over being respectable.
Listen, you can do a lot with a wink and a nod, but you can't say "do not hire any more black bus drivers you are making it look like a ghetto.”