School Zones on Holidays - Valid?

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
A friend on FB has posted her disdain for people who slow down in flashing school zones on holidays or weeks of no school like this one.

Personally, I just slow down because its not worth the risk of getting a giant ticket and points from some cop who isnt rational. Ive gotten plenty of tickets for no reason and the best I always do is get the points dropped. They ALWAYS get my money.

Wondering what the general consensus is?

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Nothing wrong with your thinking there. The cops probably love watching those zones whenever there are no children around.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Well I have the name of my farm on the side of my truck so speeding through the center of town probably not the best idea.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
If the signs don't specify when the speed limit lowers and raises I have no issue with people who play it safe. In my area a lot of the signs say "when children are present", so I basically obey that speed limit during school hours/days and if it looks like a special event is going on... it's usually just 25 in a 35 for 2 blocks so it's not that inconvenient.

In Oregon I've seen signs that list specific times, such as "Between 8 AM and 5 PM on school days". Those are a little better because the ticket is less up to the cop's discretion (ex. with the signs from my area he could claim kids were present at 6 AM).

When in doubt, don't risk going to jail for vehicular manslaughter of a child.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
dont give the pigs and excuse to pull you over.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
A friend on FB has posted her disdain for people who slow down in flashing school zones on holidays or weeks of no school like this one.

Personally, I just slow down because its not worth the risk of getting a giant ticket and points from some cop who isnt rational. Ive gotten plenty of tickets for no reason and the best I always do is get the points dropped. They ALWAYS get my money.

Wondering what the general consensus is?
If some one has to justify their speeding by saying "fuck it, there is no school at this time of year", they deserve the ticket they're going to get.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Fuck that. There's a school at the end of the street here. If
they're off or I see no kids and cars outside the school I'll do
the normal speed limit. It's not my fault they're too lazy or cheap
to get timers to shut off the lights when school isn't in session.

Oh and I hate the assholes that put their 4 ways on in a school zone.
You're not a hazard and you're not disabled on the side of the road.
Turn those fucking things off. Assholes. Your turn signals don't work
with the 4 ways on so we'll never know if you plan to turn into the
school lot or a side street.

Sep 28, 2010
Last speeding ticket I got was in 04 for going 81 in a 55. Plead down to 60 in a 55.
I barely ever go over limit now. School or not I'm doing whatever sign says.

It's amazing how tough people are within the comfort of their car. Everyone has something to say but they never follow through.

twiggy

Livin the Dream!!!
Sep 12, 2010
Elizabethton, TN
Most of the school signs around here have specific times listed on them. But like someone said before, even if the times arent listed its better to play it safe since its only for a block or two.

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
in our part of Oregon most of the new signs state the hours of the reduced speed limit as well, or will be mounted below two vertical amber lights, the reduced speed limit is enforced when these lamps are alternately flashing and it says that on the sign. So many people here claimed they were confused over what 'when children are present' meant that they made it dummy proof and it allowed local enforcement to successfully prosecute more tickets.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
thats how they are around here, the lights start flashing when the school zone is active.

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
A school zone speed limit is in effect regardless of if school is in session. Around here they still have band practice and some activities during breaks. Better safe than fined.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
My stupid post can be edited down and refurbished into "yeah, that" to the above thing about flashing lights meaning an active school zone.

If it's not active you're in everyone's way by going that slow.

afternoonquil

Apology Ostrich
Apr 2, 2011
They had one of those radar trailers by my old elementary school, I wore nothing but a cock ring and tried to see how many MPHs i could run (i heard they pick up on metal)

I'm posting from jail and everyone has their pockets inside out.