Scientists Find Remains of 1-Ton Rat

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Scientists Find Remains of 1-Ton Rat

(Jan. 16) -- Scientists have discovered the remains of a rodent the size of a small car which used to forage the South American continent. The 1-ton creature is believed to have been about 3 yards long and 1.5 yards tall.

The giant rat's skull, which measures an impressive 21 inches in diameter was found by Andrés Rinderknecht and Ernesto Blanco, two scientists from Montevideo, Uruguay.

The two paleontologists stumbled upon the fossilized remains in a broken boulder in San Jose along the coast of Uruguay.

By looking at the size ratios of the skulls and bodies of existing rodents, scientists determined the bodyweight of the rodent must have approached one ton, making it the world's largest rodent to have been discovered to date.

The relatively small size of its teeth, however, suggests it fed mainly upon soft vegetables and fruit.

"We can give an educated guess that the rodent would have been 3 [yards] long -- assuming that it was similar to a Capybara (the largest rodent alive today) and taking it into account that large mammals generally have relatively smaller heads. It's tail probably was closer to the one of capybara or guinea pig (very short) and not like a rat," Ernesto Blanco says.

The scientists believe the rodent, named Josephoartigasia monesi, roamed the earth about 4 million years ago at the same time as other giant creatures, such as terror birds, saber-toothed cats, ground sloths and giant armored mammals.

During this period, the now arid region was forested and rich in vegetation. The largest living rodent is the capybara, a 110-pound guinea pig found in South America.
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/scientists-find-remains-of-1-ton-rat/20080116090209990001

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Rodent of unusual size?

Story said:
During this period, the now arid region was forested and rich in vegetation. The largest living rodent is the capybara, a 110-pound guinea pig found in South America.
Who the fuck knew there was a such thing as a 110 lb Guinea Pig?!

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Who the fuck knew there was a such thing as a 110 lb Guinea Pig?!
I did
I always loved the dave Attell where he shoots Nutria along the waterways of Louisana with the cops..those things are the size of a dog.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Silly me, I thought they found it in the Bronx.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
I did
I always loved the dave Attell where he shoots Nutria along the waterways of Louisana with the cops..those things are the size of a dog.
Oh yeah, I remember that episode.

Nutrias! There's some of those things around in Maryland I think. They can get big, but they're just not scary like a dog-sized rat would be. They (nutrias) always seemed more like beavers to me, they look really similar IMO. Just like beavers, but with more of a rat-like tail.

You know who really lucked out? Squirrels. People hate rats, but squirrels are just so damn cute, what with their bushy little tail and all.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I'm not a dirty, giant rat, see? You'll get nothing out of me you dirty screw!

Top Bottom