Scooter turn signal issue - Calling Fezman

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
Kid has a 2004 Honda Reflex 250 scooter. 12v system with separate filament bulbs for brakes and turn signals (see pics).

Issue is rear turn signals won't illuminate.

Can hear the relay clicking when the lever is moved.

Fronts light up, but go dark when lever moved.

Rears dark all the time.

New battery, changed bulbs (and made sure correct ones/number and position of contacts) - no bueno.

Wiring looks clean, no burns, discoloration, loose connections.

It happened when he changed the battery.

I can't think of anything else - and he's at college and too hard to talk him thru using a test light/meter.

Any ideas?

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
I'd start at the battery since that's when the problem started
Fully charged ?
Connections good ?

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
I'd start at the battery since that's when the problem started
Fully charged ?
Connections good ?
Yep, he put in in at the parts store and rode it home. Fired right up. Headlights, gauge lights, all nice and bright. No harness connectors anywhere near the battery so don't think anything bumped or damaged.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Fusible link.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Maybe popped a wire harness loose when changing the battery.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
Fucking hate electrical problems. But you can also swap the front bulbs to the rear since you know they light up. Check for any bad fuses, make sure all harness connections are good unplug them check for corrosion, check all the grounds for a good connection. If none of that works the only way to be certain is to put a meter on the rears to make sure they are getting juice. Other things to check would be the switch mayhaps went kaputs. Try also different batch of bulbs unlikely but maybe they are no good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I’m on board with all of these suggestions, start with the last thing he fiddled with, also, the rear lights may not have been working before he installed the battery, it just so happens that after he installed the battery he noticed it wasn’t working.

Those scooters have what I call “gang grounds” because all of the bodywork is plastic so, all of the light grounds eventually will meet up somewhere, attached with staycons which can corrode, I would bet, that the ones for the rear lights meet up somewhere around the battery (I assume it’s under he seat) because the flasher is working it’s probably not the switch and most likely the grounds, I would suggest the “wiggle test”. I know you know what I mean, but, Have him to find a buddy to watch the lights, turn the lights on pop open the back, and just start wiggling wires starting at the lamp assembly and work his way back to where ever the wires eventually terminate, one set will go to a gang ground on the frame, one will go to the relay / flasher and one will go to the switch, there might be a small fuse block in there also.
I don’t suggest trying to explain the use of a test light over the phone, in an inexperienced hand you know as well as I do he’s either going to impale himself or, worse, jam the probe through a hot wire to ground and short something out and really fuck something up

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
I’m on board with all of these suggestions, start with the last thing he fiddled with, also, the rear lights may not have been working before he installed the battery, it just so happens that after he installed the battery he noticed it wasn’t working.

Those scooters have what I call “gang grounds” because all of the bodywork is plastic so, all of the light grounds eventually will meet up somewhere, attached with staycons which can corrode, I would bet, that the ones for the rear lights meet up somewhere around the battery (I assume it’s under he seat) because the flasher is working it’s probably not the switch and most likely the grounds, I would suggest the “wiggle test”. I know you know what I mean, but, Have him to find a buddy to watch the lights, turn the lights on pop open the back, and just start wiggling wires starting at the lamp assembly and work his way back to where ever the wires eventually terminate, one set will go to a gang ground on the frame, one will go to the relay / flasher and one will go to the switch, there might be a small fuse block in there also.
I don’t suggest trying to explain the use of a test light over the phone, in an inexperienced hand you know as well as I do he’s either going to impale himself or, worse, jam the probe through a hot wire to ground and short something out and really fuck something up
Maybe I should be kinda proud - apparently he remembers me showing him how to use a meter and has been checking wires as he has time. No bueno yet though.

Told him to just wiggle everything and find the loose one - especially since that's the consensus.

Appreciate the assist.

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
Just let him figure it out himself. It's a fucking scooter. If he can't fix it he can have someone else fix it. Walk away and hope your son makes you proud. Stop trying to do everything you can, you're crippling him.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
One thing (among many) that I admire about my kid is he loves to dig and figure shit out. Probably why he'll be a great doctor. He's fine, I'm just answering his questions.

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
One thing (among many) that I admire about my kid is he loves to dig and figure shit out. Probably why he'll be a great doctor. He's fine, I'm just answering his questions.
Then why would you ask this bunch of miscreants for advice? If he's as smart as you think he is he'll figure it out. Holding his hand will only hinder him.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
Jeez dude, who pee'd in your cornflakes this morning?

I guess because I was bored? I grew up in the family garage, but wanted to see what we might have been overlooking.

Go tighten a 7th Fetzer Valve or something...

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
How dare you trying to help/teach someone with a problem
Especially one of your kids
You should be shot for that
You're ruining his future fer chrissakes

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Then why would you ask this bunch of miscreants for advice? If he's as smart as you think he is he'll figure it out. Holding his hand will only hinder him.
ya fucking grump

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
The real question is: Why isn't he installing LED bulbs as an upgrade?
That’s a great idea but would probably be expensive a box of 194 are probably 15$ a single led replacement is that much

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
Jeez dude, who pee'd in your cornflakes this morning?

I guess because I was bored? I grew up in the family garage, but wanted to see what we might have been overlooking.

Go tighten a 7th Fetzer Valve or something...
I apologize, I was feeling a bit cranky earlier. Not sure why I reacted like that. I hope you and your son are able to quickly resolve this minor problem.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
Another thing he could do is try and find the wire diagram and check the power to the pins at the harness. Chances are if it's ever gotten wet at any point or since it's a scooter maybe one of the pins are loose or corroded.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
I apologize, I was feeling a bit cranky earlier. Not sure why I reacted like that. I hope you and your son are able to quickly resolve this minor problem.
You queer

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
Another thing he could do is try and find the wire diagram and check the power to the pins at the harness. Chances are if it's ever gotten wet at any point or since it's a scooter maybe one of the pins are loose or corroded.

He found the service manual and has been tracing all kinds of wiring. Wednesday is a slow day for him so he's going to mess with it some more then.

No real reason to upgrade to leds, this thing is for the odd grocery or food trip. He lives on campus and walks/bikes everywhere. Plus rather find the fault then throw other variables into the mix.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
He found the service manual and has been tracing all kinds of wiring. Wednesday is a slow day for him so he's going to mess with it some more then.

No real reason to upgrade to leds, this thing is for the odd grocery or food trip. He lives on campus and walks/bikes everywhere. Plus rather find the fault then throw other variables into the mix.
I actually like doing jobs like that, those things are quite simple and it’s satisfying when you fix it, I still think that those lights were probably not working before the battery install, I dealt with that stuff all the time, fix one thing, then all of a sudden something else is “broke” when in reality that thing was broke before I worked on it.
Side track;
I had a customer (Jew cunt realitor) that had an aging Saab convertible, I painted the drivers side because she hit her garage, after I painted it, I returned it to her, all I did was paint the drivers side, I didn’t even take a bunch of shit off.
She comes in two weeks later complaining that her passenger side headlamp is burned out, first words out of her mouth? “I just had my car fixed here and now my headlamp is not working”..... ok, I replace the headlamp (a major production on a Saab,) immediately no charge, just to shut her up. She comes back about a month later, the drivers side is burned out first words out of her mouth “you just installed this head light and now it doesn’t work” ...... at this point I start to get irritated, so, once again i stop what I’m doing and go to replace the head light. I get the head lamp out which clearly says Bosch on it, I use sylvania, I show her the obviously dirty Bosch bulb, and say “I’m sorry mame but I did not replace this lamp, it was the passenger side and it’s going to cost $20” oh my god you would have thought I pulled my pants down and shit in the parking lot the way she started giving me shit, then she goes in and starts giving glorious leader shit (she was “good friends” with glorious leader) to his credit, he asks me is that our bulb, I say no, I replaced the other side for free last time as per your orders, glorious leader looks at the twat and says “it’s $30 for the bulb installed “. L.......... lol ha ha you fucking twat