Seattle will tax sugary soda — but not diet

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Of course I'm fine charging people who throw lit cigarettes out the window. That's a consequence of your own action. Taxing everyone who smokes, even those who don't litter, is like blaming all gun owners for a mass shooting. Or taxing every fast food bag because you see those along the highway, even though the vast majority of customers throw them in the garbage. Assuming the worst out of any group, and preemptively fining/regulating them is not a free society. You give people freedom, and when they fuck up, they answer for it in the justice system.
You're not being taxed because they hate smokers, you were being taxed because it's an easy target.

Personally, I don't care if you gut your larynx with tobacco. I just hate that smokers are piggies. Inconsiderate piggies.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
All these sin taxes will lead to a rise of a new generation of mafioso. The lure of the black market is too strong with the Guidos and their Russian muscle men.

Joker1919

Okay, can we just charge every cunt who tosses a butt with littering, and if it's still lit we charge double? If you're being an inconsiderate cunt with your habit nobody sympathizes. We've had this convo before.

#notallsmokers

Fuck it, $25 per pack.
You have an irrational hatred of smokers was you touched by a filthy smoker as a lad?

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
All these sin taxes will lead to a rise of a new generation of mafioso. The lure of the black market is too strong with the Guidos and their Russian muscle men.
This. The vaccum created when NYC has 10 bucks tax on a pack of cigarettes and Virginia only has 30 cents is just too powerful sucky. Huge networks of criminals are going to be born and bred in the incubator of that massive of a disparity. Whatever tax money NY makes off this, they're just going to toss into the criminal justice machine in order to arrest, process and incarcerate all of the smugglers and "loosie" peddlers. And then crime statiscs will rise with all the new crimes and criminals that were created out of thin air, and Deblasio will have to lean on the NYPD to cook the books even harder and skew the numbers and hide the unsavory reality of nanny state meddling run amok.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
This. The vaccum created when NYC has 10 bucks tax on a pack of cigarettes and Virginia only has 30 cents is just too powerful sucky. Huge networks of criminals are going to be born and bred in the incubator of that massive of a disparity. Whatever tax money NY makes off this, they're just going to toss into the criminal justice machine in order to arrest, process and incarcerate all of the smugglers and "loosie" peddlers. And then crime statiscs will rise with all the new crimes and criminals that were created out of thin air, and Deblasio will have to lean on the NYPD to cook the books even harder and skew the numbers and hide the unsavory reality of nanny state meddling run amok.
So what you're saying is more Eric Garners will not be able to "breave"?

Winning.

Creasy Bear

Donator
So what you're saying is more Eric Garners will not be able to "breave"?

Winning.
Tally up the money NYC forked over dealing with just that fiasco alone, and there's every bit of tax revenue generated by the cigarette taxes gone... thrown down the nigger hole.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Tally up the money NYC forked over dealing with just that fiasco alone, and there's every bit of tax revenue generated by the cigarette taxes gone... thrown down the nigger hole.
But less "breaving", right?

Worf it.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
One of my crazy far left hugbook friends is championing a new cigarette tax in Delaware and it includes a 30% new tax on vape stuff...

What the fuck is the reasoning behind raising any taxes, I don't care what the hell they are taxing raising taxes for anything is just an excuse for government to find new ways to waste more money

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
One of my crazy far left hugbook friends is championing a new cigarette tax in Delaware and it includes a 30% new tax on vape stuff...

What the fuck is the reasoning behind raising any taxes, I don't care what the hell they are taxing raising taxes for anything is just an excuse for government to find new ways to waste more money
Mess with my vapes, get a bullet to the nape!

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
This horse shit begins Monday.

The government knows what's best for you.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
This horse shit begins Monday.

The government knows what's best for you.
The council ultimately settled on a rate of 1.75 cents per ounce, which means the tax would be about $1.18 for a 2-liter bottle of soda.
Holy fuck is that legit?

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
That's the way of the Nanny Gubberments.
Plus it's an easy target for extra cash.
Another tax that will never be removed from the system. Wonder what the tipping point will be. Every empire has one.

Floyd1977

I really don't get it. Why do people want to live like this? Constant taxes, elimination of choice (except when comes to killing a fetus), lottery payouts to people who resist arrest etc. I mean, I get if you're one of the leaches it's great. But why the productive people?

I would even get to some degree if these types of soda taxes were used to fund some kind of useful project or infrastructure, but no, it's just so that democratic leaders can buy more votes via handouts. I've probably answered my own question to some degree, I just don't get why people (I.e. productive ones) who don't benefit keep supporting it. Guilt, I suppose. But it can't be just that, can it?

KRSOne

Well the are trying to make up for all those people quitting smoking... like in PA they make $2.60 in taxes on each pack.

Then of course we have ole Bill De Blasio...

Which leads to:

High taxes and limited enforcement have New York City awash in illegal booze and cigarettes

Bootlegging deprives New York state of at least $1.6 billion in annual tax revenue. It's only growing
And when it gets someone like Eric Garner killed the left will go after the cops for enforcing the dumb law they wanted.

KRSOne

Absolutely, Mr. President. As far as health goes diet is just as bad, possible worse except for Stevia.

Remember the government food pyramid that tells you to eat a ton of wheat and starches and stay away from fats and oils? In reality, the starches and wheat will make you gain the most weight. The keto diet is high in fat and will make you lose weight very fast.

It's OK for big brother to regulate how much garbage is allowable in foods and all other sugary and fattening foods are allowed but
"Damnit ! This soda shit has to stop!" "Harrumph!! , Harrumph, Harrumph "

Creasy Bear

Donator

Absolutely, Mr. President. As far as health goes diet is just as bad, possible worse except for Stevia.

Remember the government food pyramid that tells you to eat a ton of wheat and starches and stay away from fats and oils? In reality, the starches and wheat will make you gain the most weight. The keto diet is high in fat and will make you lose weight very fast.
Stevia does exactly the same thing that aspartame does... it tricks your brain into thinking you're getting your nummy sweeties, while it stimulates your "Moar!" centers, but it doesn't provide any of the calories you crave, so the result is you just shovel in moar garbage. It's the old... "I'll have two Whoppers and a Diet Coke."

Stevia doesn't do anything different than what aspartame does, it just does it with a bitter, nasty taste, and with an "organic" label stuck on it to fool the rubes and the Kirktards.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
It's OK for big brother to regulate how much garbage is allowable in foods and all other sugary and fattening foods are allowed but
"Damnit ! This soda shit has to stop!" "Harrumph!! , Harrumph, Harrumph "
It's not a question of regulating anything.
It's a bullshit excuse to tax people even more.

Queen_Bona

It's a bullshit excuse to tax people even more.
And at the same time they pulled the ad about fat being dangerous to health, because the dude in it grabbed his stomach fat and that could make fatties feel bad.

domelogic

The council ultimately settled on a rate of 1.75 cents per ounce, which means the tax would be about $1.18 for a 2-liter bottle of soda.

I have not bought soda in a long time but a 2 liter on sale was .99 cents or 1.99 I can’t remember. I can’t believe it went up that much which means you are effectively doubling the cost.

Are there any soda companies that have plants or warehouses in Seattle? I would imagine they have left by now. Remember kids the gov will not let you take any responsibility for yourselves and judging by how people act they don’t want that responsibility anyway