Seattle will tax sugary soda — but not diet

KRSOne

The gov subsidizes corn so more corn is grown and HFCS is put into everything because government makes it cheap. Then they tax you for it. Corporate welfare?

We see a similar thing with hybrid cars. Government gives you tax incentives to buy a hybrid and save on gas. When it works and people use less gas they want to raise gas taxes so now the hybrid driver is paying the same but the guy driving the truck or van for work is paying a lot more.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Don't worry about your Starbucks Iced Latte Macchiatos and Caramel Brulée Lattes though; "milk-based" drinks are conveniently exempt
Well at least Starbucks™ isn't headquartered in Seattle so
it wont look like they were given special treatment. :rolleyes:

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
So it's the distributor's fault for passing this tax on...

Floyd1977

Don't worry about your Starbucks Iced Latte Macchiatos and Caramel Brulée Lattes though; "milk-based" drinks are conveniently exempt
Trump should put a tax on "Premium" coffee drinks. Someone has to start hitting the shit that these assholes care about. Fucking with their precious weed would also please me.

Haeder

South Dakota
So it's the distributor's fault for passing this tax on...

....nor is the tax burden intended to fall onto the consumer.

??really??

Fucking dopes. Consumers end up paying for all of the taxes associated with goods and services.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
....nor is the tax burden intended to fall onto the consumer.

??really??

Fucking dopes. Consumers end up paying for all of the taxes associated with goods and services.
And that's the amazing, liberal mindset at it's finest.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
And welcome to Lesson #5,471 in Unintended Consequences. Tacoma and Bellevue are going to be selling a shit ton of Cokes and Mountain Dews.
Except that it's Seattle....the cucks in that city will gladly pay the extra fee because they know their government would be able to put the money towards the greatest good.

Floyd1977

I know Coca-Cola and Pepsi employ the popular liberal facade. But do they try to fight these taxes at all?

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
I know Coca-Cola and Pepsi employ the popular liberal facade. But do they try to fight these taxes at all?
Since they maintain a virtual duopoly on every bottled beverage sold, I'm guessing the shortfall in sugary drinks will be made up for in the non-sugary drinks

Floyd1977

Since they maintain a virtual duopoly on every bottled beverage sold, I'm guessing the shortfall in sugary drinks will be made up for in the non-sugary drinks
Maybe, and I know between the two of them thay own 99% of beverages on the market. But Coca-Cola and Pepsi are still the flagship products. And even though Coca-Cola was making a killing off of Diet Coke in the 80's, their losing to Pepsi in blind taste tests led to New Coke. So even still I wouldn't think they would take this lightly. Even if their overall portfolio was doing great, hits to Coke and Pepsi would look bad on reports and stock price.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Maybe, and I know between the two of them thay own 99% of beverages on the market. But Coca-Cola and Pepsi are still the flagship products. And even though Coca-Cola was making a killing off of Diet Coke in the 80's, their losing to Pepsi in blind taste tests led to New Coke. So even still I wouldn't think they would take this lightly. Even if their overall portfolio was doing great, hits to Coke and Pepsi would look bad on reports and stock price.
Also, it's just Seattle....people will drive to other towns to get their fix. I don't think this will make a huge dent in their overall portfolio.

Floyd1977

Also, it's just Seattle....people will drive to other towns to get their fix. I don't think this will make a huge dent in their overall portfolio.
Maybe not now, but it will metastasize all over.

Member when the thought of, not too long ago, not being able to smoke in a bar was unheard of? The genesis of that was pretty much in one city.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Maybe not now, but it will metastasize all over.

Member when the thought of, not too long ago, not being able to smoke in a bar was unheard of? The genesis of that was pretty much in one city.
Maybe....but I think there will be some swift pushback in Seattle, and I think it is unlikely this would take hold elsewhere. Unless we get another liberal in the WH who hasn't met a tax he didn't like that decided to withhold federal funding because states won't enact draconian quality of life laws. I guarantee Coke and Pepsi will be squawking loudly then.

Floyd1977

Maybe....but I think there will be some swift pushback in Seattle, and I think it is unlikely this would take hold elsewhere. Unless we get another liberal in the WH who hasn't met a tax he didn't like that decided to withhold federal funding because states won't enact draconian quality of life laws. I guarantee Coke and Pepsi will be squawking loudly then.
Maybe not nationally, but in every blue city, which is essentially all of them.

When they need capital, which they always do because of their gibmedats appeasement agenda it's going to be this that will become another panacea. And note, it will never be the premium coffee drinks or weed that will be subject.

Last edited:

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I probably said it already in this thread, but I find it ironihow they have finally ran out of sins to taxi so they created a new one. Who are the idiots that think any taxes are a good idea? I begrudgingly admit that they are a necessary evil, but to actually support one?

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
The tax has been in effect longer in Philly and some other cities.
Coke and Pepsi both laid off people at local plants as a result.
This shit isn't going away any time soon.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
New statistics are out about Seattle sugary soda tax and the lefties are shocked, SHOCKED I tell you!

As it turns out, and you wont believe this, despite the tax being targeted at distributors and retailers, consumers are paying for almost ALL of the tax.

That's right, instead of letting it cut into their profits, they are passing on the extra cost to us!!

Even worse, due to confusion over what is taxed, retailers are just blanket raising the prices on ALL sodas, even diet!!

They are now going to hold a city council meeting to discuss these shocking findings.

No, I'm not making any of this up.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
New statistics are out about Seattle sugary soda tax and the lefties are shocked, SHOCKED I tell you!

As it turns out, and you wont believe this, despite the tax being targeted at distributors and retailers, consumers are paying for almost ALL of the tax.

That's right, instead of letting it cut into their profits, they are passing on the extra cost to us!!

Even worse, due to confusion over what is taxed, retailers are just blanket raising the prices on ALL sodas, even diet!!

They are now going to hold a city council meeting to discuss these shocking findings.

No, I'm not making any of this up.
If you didn't have decent weather and pretty scenery, you would be fucked because you all are Mississippi-level stupid up there.