Seeing eye robot spy

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
New technology lets bionic mannequins secretly spy on shoppers

Fashion stores are using EyeSee mannequins that use facial recognition software to collect data from customers, including race, age and gender. The info is used to help stores better cater to their customer base, and in turn, boost sales.

By Rheana Murray / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 10:05 AM

Print

Getty Images

Seemingly normal mannequins might soon be equipped with spying technology.

Something about boutique mannequins makes it feel like they’re watching you. Now, they really will be.
Fashion stores are using bionic mannequins equipped with police-grade technology to spy on shoppers. The $5,000 dummies, called EyeSee, use facial recognition software as a noninvasive way to extract data from customers who walk by, including roundabout age, race and gender, Bloomberg.com reported.
A tiny camera embedded in one of the mannequin’s eyes records the information.
The info can be used to help stores cater to their customer base. For example, one store that learned many of its afternoon visitors were kids introduced a children’s line to boost sales. Another that learned many of its customers were Asian opted to put Chinese-speaking employees near the entrance, according to the website.
Although the mannequins only record information — not photographs — creeped-out shoppers voiced concern online.
“Privacy invasion taken to a whole new level,” one Twitter user wrote.
Others embraced the new technology.
“Amazing,” another person tweeted. “The latest weapon retailers have to understand shoppers.”
Italian security company Almax, which makes the mannequins, won’t disclose every store that uses them, but says its clients include leading fashion brands. The dummies are already used in the U.S. and three European countries.
Almax is also testing software that allows the mannequins to listen to shoppers’ conversations, the company’s CEO Max Catanese told Bloomberg.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...ers-article-1.1205636?localLinksEnabled=false

Since the technology can spot the Chinese in a crowd, I would like to see the dummies test results on this exam: http://asianlookalikes.com/

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005

May 24, 2004
Queens, NY
How much of a sheep do you have to be to shop for clothes based on how it looks on a mannequin? It is probably built to ideal measurements with perfect posture and proportions... nothing that resembles an average fast food-addicted American these days.

I hope their profits explode fleecing the morbidly obese sheeple that walk into their stores.
It logs the age, gender, and race of passers-by.
For $5,000 a mannequin?!? Bye-bye profits...

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
first thing i thought about was that scene in minority report when tom cruze is walking into the mall and all of the adds are talking to him