Seen on Attack Of The Show: Jordan has a pretty cool (geeky) king.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
Link

Beam us to the Middle East, Scotty? Jordan Star Trek theme park in the works
By Laura Bly, USA TODAY

Move over, Indiana Jones: The Middle Eastern country of Jordan, whose archaeological site of Petra served as a spectacular backdrop in Steven Spielberg's 1989 blockbuster film, could be spotlighting another pop culture icon by 2014.

Captain Kirk and the rest of his Star Trek crew will be star attractions at a theme park and resort under development at the coastal town of Aqaba, reports the Abu Dhabi-based newspaper The National. The paper says the $1.5 billion project is being funded by investors from the U.S. and the Middle East - including Jordan's King Abdullah II, a well-known "Trekkie" who made a cameo appearance in a 1995 episode of Star Trek: Voyager.

The new Aqaba resort will include hotels, theaters, dining and shopping, and entertainment will be themed around the idea of Jordan as "a crossroads of civilizations," The National says. Tourism to Jordan is down by 14% this year, thanks largely to political upheaval and protests in neighboring Egypt and Syria.

Don't have the time, money or inclination to boldly go to Jordan for your intergalactic fix? Florida's Kennedy Space Center is hosting Star Trek: The Exhibition, an interactive exhibit of "authentic Star Trek artifacts" from the past 45 years.
I like Abdullah II. Actually, I kind of like all the Jordanians. Their monarchy is "legit", as far as legitimacy can be conferred by blood: they're descended from Fatima, one of Mohammed's daughters, and have a reasonably legit claim to be caliphs if they were so inclined, but are not. They have a generally reform-minded government (graded on a curve) and are fairly good to the displaced Palestinians in their territory (graded on one HELL of a curve, but still...), and are pretty solid allies for both the US and Israel (again, graded on a curve).

And, well, I think it's a little easier to trust a Trekkie than some other types.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
I always thought that the Saudis gave the Kingdom of Jordan to the Sherif of Meca as a reward sometime after WWII

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
I always thought that the Saudis gave the Kingdom of Jordan to the Sherif of Meca as a reward sometime after WWII
The specific historical process by which the Hashemites came into power may have been shady, but the family's long history as descendants of Mohammed probably had a lot to do with them being chosen.

The family's history, as well as their general benevolence and good government, puts them in an excellent position in the Middle East, from the American POV.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Sorry but there's a bit of a turnoff when Seven of Nine and T'Pol are wearing burquas in the theme park.