OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Seen on Attack Of The Show: Jordan has a pretty cool (geeky) king.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by VMS, Aug 10, 2011.

1. VMS

VMS Victim of high standards and low personal skills.

Link

I like Abdullah II. Actually, I kind of like all the Jordanians. Their monarchy is "legit", as far as legitimacy can be conferred by blood: they're descended from Fatima, one of Mohammed's daughters, and have a reasonably legit claim to be caliphs if they were so inclined, but are not. They have a generally reform-minded government (graded on a curve) and are fairly good to the displaced Palestinians in their territory (graded on one HELL of a curve, but still...), and are pretty solid allies for both the US and Israel (again, graded on a curve).

And, well, I think it's a little easier to trust a Trekkie than some other types.

2. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

I always thought that the Saudis gave the Kingdom of Jordan to the Sherif of Meca as a reward sometime after WWII

3. VMS

VMS Victim of high standards and low personal skills.

The specific historical process by which the Hashemites came into power may have been shady, but the family's long history as descendants of Mohammed probably had a lot to do with them being chosen.

The family's history, as well as their general benevolence and good government, puts them in an excellent position in the Middle East, from the American POV.

4. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Sorry but there's a bit of a turnoff when Seven of Nine and T'Pol are wearing burquas in the theme park.