Semi-Auto Rifles, AR-15's, AK-47's, aka Evil Black Rifles.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
What made you go with the Grendel?
AR15 cartridge so finding parts and tweaks is easy. Already had things for the AR15 like BCGs, pins, lowers, etc. And it's probably the best shooting cartridge for the AR15. Flat trajectory with a good reach.

I reload so ammunition availability is a minor concern. The only frustrating thing was finding magazines as there's only 3 or so manufacturers.

I just need to find a good scope for it.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
AR15 cartridge so finding parts and tweaks is easy. Already had things for the AR15 like BCGs, pins, lowers, etc. And it's probably the best shooting cartridge for the AR15. Flat trajectory with a good reach.

I reload so ammunition availability is a minor concern. The only frustrating thing was finding magazines as there's only 3 or so manufacturers.

I just need to find a good scope for it.
Fair enough. If I was going to go to a 6.5 in an AR, I'd say fuck it and get a 308 pattern rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm seriously considering an 18" AR build in 6mmx45, though. 90-95 grain bullets at reasonable speeds would be fun.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Fair enough. If I was going to go to a 6.5 in an AR, I'd say fuck it and get a 308 pattern rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm seriously considering an 18" AR build in 6mmx45, though. 90-95 grain bullets at reasonable speeds would be fun.
I've been using a 6.8 SPC for the past several years with 85gr Barnes TAC-X. It's a good killer.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
So I am thinking for my next project I might send one or both of my MR556 uppers to Jason at IGF Firearms and have the barrels shortened to 14.5", reprofiled to M4 and then have a muzzle device pinned and welded so that I can avoid the SBR horseshit. I'm considering this if the Hearing Protection Act gets passed by congress and signed by Trump.

The muzzle device I am looking at is one of the Surefire that can accept a supressor. But I am not sure if I should go flash suppressor or muzzle brake.

http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/suppressor-adapters/warcomp-flash-hiders.html

http://www.surefire.com/sfmb-556-1-2-28.html

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
So I am thinking for my next project I might send one or both of my MR556 uppers to Jason at IGF Firearms and have the barrels shortened to 14.5", reprofiled to M4 and then have a muzzle device pinned and welded so that I can avoid the SBR horseshit. I'm considering this if the Hearing Protection Act gets passed by congress and signed by Trump.

The muzzle device I am looking at is one of the Surefire that can accept a supressor. But I am not sure if I should go flash suppressor or muzzle brake.

http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/suppressor-adapters/warcomp-flash-hiders.html

http://www.surefire.com/sfmb-556-1-2-28.html
Honestly, I'd go SilencerCo over Surefire. Also, you're saving yourself maybe a half inch to an inch of OAL using a pinned and welded brake unless it's the same brake you would have used on a 16" gun. I've had a pinned 14.5" before, and I will probably never do another one.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
This is my build so far. Still waiting on the stock & buffer assembly; ordered on Christmas day, should be here hopefully before too much longer.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
I'm doing a little tlc on my Bushmaster Carbon 15 (AR15 Pistol - yes, I know-popular opinion is they're shit) and started wondering about a few things - possibly some AR15 experts can share some knowledge (besides the fact that this design is pretty "unique"...)

1) I'd like to investigate installing a cheek rest (atf legal) but it seems the buffer tube isn't "normal" dimensions:

So this seems to be THE manufacturer:
http://www.thordsencustoms.com/ar-pistol/cheek-rest-kits/

None of them seem to be dimensionally workable, or are they? Seems like my buffer tube is too short, too fat, and not compatible with a normal buffer tube specs.

Can some other buffer tube/assembly be used instead? I do not see what the purpose of that little piece under my tube is-no lip or interface at all with the tube. Can't find info online as to what my thread pattern is either. But the jam nut on a regular tube wouldn't interfere with anything on the lower far as I can tell.

Anywho, I'm bored so thought I'd share...

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Looks like a ray gun I like it

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
Backing up photos to a new drive, came across this from a few years back - my son gave it a try...
shooting02
by ss sst, on Flickr

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
Why the fuck is the rear sight mounted backwards?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Funny how people don't realize how this is one of those evil military guns:

When ever I get the “weapons of war don’t belong in civilian hands!” I post a photo of an 1903 Springfield and ask them if that rifle is ok with them and ask if it’s a weapon of war.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
I finally burned a 40% off Seekins certificate I had laying around and ordered one of their 3G2 complete uppers to go on a spare lower that's been collecting dust in my safe. The spare lower was actually the first AR I ever built, and had a carbine stock on it. I swapped it for a rifle length buffer tube assembly and a Magpul MOE rifle stock. It's probably getting topped off with a Bushnell AR 1-4x first focal for now, but when the new DMR Pro 3.5-21x scope comes out this fall, I will be putting one of those on top of it.
Next up will be a Geissele SD-E or their new flat single stage trigger, and swapping the Seekins brake for a Thunderbeast brake so I can run my Ultra 7 can on it.