Sen. Feinstein: Congress may ‘have to proceed’ with violent video game regulation

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
April 4, 2013 3:25 PM

The main sponsor on the U.S. legislation that banned many assault weapons in the 1990s is now talking about regulating violent video games in the future.
Speaking to an audience of 500 people in her hometown of San Francisco, U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said that game publishers need to make voluntary actions to avoid glorifying guns and violence following the Newtown elementary school massacre in December.

She noted that Congress would take action if the industry didn’t do something, according to the Associated Press.

“If Sandy Hook doesn’t [make game publishers change] … then maybe we have to proceed, but that is in the future,” said Feinstein.

She went on to claim that video games play “a very negative role for young people, and the industry ought to take note of that.”

Feinstein’s Washington, D.C. office has not returned our calls for a comment.
This isn’t the first time a national lawmaker threatened to regulate video games. In 2011, the Supreme Court of the United States struck a California law that would ban the sale of violent games to minors.

The court voted 7-2 to block the law based on the protection afford to expression under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Following the events in Newtown, several other politicians have spoken out about the relation of games to real-world violence. In January, Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) said that he believes “video games [are] a bigger problem than guns because video games affect people.” Last month, Rep. Diane Black (R.-Tenn.) claimed that the perpetrator in the Sandy Hook shooting was fueled by “unprecedented levels of violent games, music, and so on.”

In December, Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.) actually introduced a bill to congress to investigate the effect of violent games on children.

Feinstein’s call for the industry to self-regulate is also an odd one in face of the Entertainment Software Ratings Board. This voluntary regulating body is one of the most effective in the country. A recent FTC study revealed that it is more difficult for an underage consumer to buy an M-rated game (for ages 17 and older) at retail than it is for them to see a violent film in a movie theater. The ESRB took credit for those results as it works with publishers and retailers to educate and enforce the age-rating system.
I'm sure Hollywood won't get on this bandwagon and Feinstein will get even less support than her gun ban.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Hollywood has a lot to gain from video games being hurt. Expect them to buy into this.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Hollywood has a lot to gain from video games being hurt. Expect them to buy into this.
If they are naive enough to believe they won't be attacked by politicians at some point who need something to blame.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Congress should proceed with Diane Feinstein regulation.

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
I'm sure violent Hollywood movies will fall into the dems sights soon. I'll just hold my breath until that happens. On a totally unrelated note, this could very well be my last post ever. [/SARCASM]

OptimisticPest

Vicious Prick
Apr 7, 2011
Mordor
So, can we just start lynching politicians who use the Newtown tragedy to further their agenda? Also, I wish somebody would staple that cunt's mouth shut with railroad spikes.

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
Does this dumb cunt not realize the game industry is already self regulated? How about this asshole blame the parents who are giving young kids M rated games. I fucking really hate Feinstein, apparently she is too stupid to realize that video games fall under the first amendment, and regulations like this have failed every time they have been voted upon or stricken down by the supreme court.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
Thank God. Video game violence is truly what's wrong with our country. Take care of that and everything else will fall in line.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I can't decide what the worst thing about my state is... but I have it narrowed down to either Feinstein or Pelosi.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Funny, now Wayne LaPierre and Diane Feinstein are on the same wavelength about a topic

Both are still stupid cunts.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Sen. Feinstein: Congress may ‘have to proceed’ with violent video game regulation
I love how she says that as though it's begrudging and said with a heavy heart. She's fucking eager to regulate violent video games.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Water wet, sky blue, Ruiner fat, Feinstein still a cunt.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
California still a statist cesspool filled with retarded, complacent voters.
I would amend that to say LA, SF, probably San Diego, and maybe a couple other population-heavy shit holes. From what I have heard, most of the more rural parts of California are reasonable.

That said, I have only been to Cali once, and I felt a whole lot better when we crossed into Arizona. My 1911 was very displeased at having to stay locked up and unloaded in a box in the trunk. The first rest area inside AZ I could stop at, it came out, mags were loaded, and that gun rode with me all the way to North Carolina.

I wish I hadn't sold that damn gun.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I would amend that to say LA, SF, probably San Diego, and maybe a couple other population-heavy shit holes. From what I have heard, most of the more rural parts of California are reasonable.
They rural shitheads voted for Prop 8; like most social conservatives, they support big government when it imposes their morals.