Separatist graduations proliferate at UCLA.

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
http://www.city-journal.org/html/eon2007-06-13jl.html

Separatist graduations proliferate at UCLA.

Commencement weekend is hard to plan at the University of California, Los Angeles. The university now has so many separate identity-group graduations that scheduling them not to conflict with one another is a challenge. The women’s studies graduation and the Chicana/Chicano studies graduation are both set for 10 AM Saturday. The broader Hispanic graduation, “Raza,” is in near-conflict with the black graduation, which starts just an hour later.

Planning was easier before a new crop of ethnic groups pushed for inclusion.

Students of Asian heritage were once content with the Asian–Pacific Islanders ceremony. But now there are separate Filipino and Vietnamese commencements, and some talk of a Cambodian one in the future. Years ago, UCLA sponsored an Iranian graduation, but the school’s commencement office couldn’t tell me if the event was still around. The entire Middle East may yet be a fertile source for UCLA commencements.

Not all ethnic and racial graduations are well attended. The 2003 figures at UCLA showed that while 300 of 855 Hispanic students attended, only 170 out of 1,874 Asian-Americans did.

Some students are presumably eligible for four or five graduations. A gay student with a Native American father and a Filipino mother could attend the Asian, Filipino, and American Indian ceremonies, plus the mainstream graduation and the Lavender Graduation for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered students.

Graduates usually wear identity-group markers—a Filipino stole or a Vietnamese sash, for instance, or a rainbow tassel at the Lavender event. Promoters of ethnic and racial graduations often talk about the strong sense of community that they favor. But it is a sense of community based on blood, a dubious and historically dangerous organizing principle.

The organizers also sometimes argue that identity-group graduations make sense for practical reasons. They say that about 3,000 graduating seniors show up for UCLA’s “regular” graduation, making it a massive and impersonal event. At the more intimate identity-group events, foreign-born parents and relatives hear much of the ceremony in their native tongues. The Filipino event is so small—about 100 students— that each grad gets to speak for 30 seconds.

But the core reason for separatist graduations is the obvious one: on campus, assimilation is a hostile force, the domestic version of American imperialism. On many campuses, identity-group training begins with separate freshman orientation programs for nonwhites, who arrive earlier and are encouraged to bond before the first Caucasian freshmen arrive. Some schools have separate orientations for gays as well. Administrations tend to foster separatism by arguing that bias is everywhere, justifying double standards that favor identity groups.

Four years ago Ward Connerly, then a regent of the University of California, tried to pass a resolution to stop funding of ethnic graduations and gay freshman orientations. He changed his mind and asked to withdraw his proposal, but the regents wanted to vote on it and defeated it in committee 6–3.

No major objections to ethnic graduations have emerged since.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
Some students are presumably eligible for four or five graduations. A gay student with a Native American father and a Filipino mother could attend the Asian, Filipino, and American Indian ceremonies, plus the mainstream graduation and the Lavender Graduation for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered students.
I saw this too; it just made me shake my head. We are doomed and the Chinese are coming.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
I hate UCLA.

So what. They don't want to be part of the "mainstream" bullshit. And none of you want them part of it. So be it.

Everybody's happy. People complain because they're part of society. People complain because they do their own thing. Which is it? "Oh I don't want those people in my neighborhood/school/area." Then when they do their own thing it's still wrong.

Can people live and fucking let live?

Schmed

I'm a corpse without a soul...
Nov 4, 2002
Shitsville, NY
And ACLU. The separatist mentality is only acceptable if you are not white, if you are white, you are a racist. The same goes for hate crimes.

We need to rise up.

Schmed

Nov 4, 2002
Shitsville, NY
whatever, spare me your passive-aggressive sarcasm, and move on with your life, and I'll move on with mine.

Have a good day. Tell that bitch to get a real drum kit.

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
So what. They don't want to be part of the "mainstream" bullshit. And none of you want them part of it. So be it.

Everybody's happy. People complain because they're part of society. People complain because they do their own thing. Which is it? "Oh I don't want those people in my neighborhood/school/area." Then when they do their own thing it's still wrong.

Can people live and fucking let live?

I don't see a white's only graduation. Doing your own thing is celebrated only if you're a minority in this country. If you try it when you're white you get demonized.

Schmed

Nov 4, 2002
Shitsville, NY
I don't see a white's only graduation. Doing your own thing is celebrated only if you're a minority in this country. If you try it when you're white you get demonized.
never mind White's only ?, a "European-American's" only graduation would not even be accepted.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
They never stay there.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
Ugh. This annoys the piss out of me. Luckily I went to a school that had one ceremony. You either walked or you didn't. Fuck that bullshit.

thrawn42

Hackmaster Jones Sr.
Jul 26, 2005
Seattle
What is the point of graduating with your own "race"?

How does it serve any purpose but adding to divisiveness?

Are classes at UCLA similarly segregated?

If not, then why are the graduation ceremonies allowed to be so?

If so, where can I sign up for the classes that disallow people with cunts and/or umlauts in their names?

Ok, point taken. So if there was a white only acceptance in society, would this matter?

My main point is most of you hate blacks, hate hispanics, hate anyone non white, why do you give a fuck?

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Ok, point taken. So if there was a white only acceptance in society, would this matter?
It is amazing what is considered racism and what is not. Seperate is not equal...

My main point is most of you hate blacks, hate hispanics, hate anyone non white, why do you give a fuck?

No. And we don't have white guilt either.

Max Johnson

Oct 14, 2004
I want a separate ceremony for people who are left handed. They are always discriminated against and I for one feel horribly about it.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
How are they going to united with each other if they are taught a separtist agenda?

To make myself more clear, I don't want communists around.

How are they going to united with each other if they are taught a separtist agenda?

To make myself more clear, I don't want communists around.
But I thought we didn't want united. I'm just asking which is it. 90% of this board for instance would be happy away from everyone not like them. When the "other people" go off and do their own thing the same people are the first ones to complain "well why can't we all be Americans?" None of you or them want a 'united America" So can we all stop lying about it and divide this place up?

Max Johnson

Oct 14, 2004
Let's divide it up by not letting the foreign mongrels learn at our institutions if we are so awful that they can't sit in the same ceremony as us. I'm all for equality but it has to go both ways. If whites try to go off on their own, it's racism. If anybody else does it, it's great that they have their own identity. I believe in letting them all come and learn here if they want to but if they can sit in the same classes then they can sit in the same fucking ceremony.

DoucheMeister

I'm a douche!
Jun 2, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
I don't want other people that are different away from me, and I don't think 90% of the board want's that either. We just don't want criminals around us, be they white, black, latino or whatever.

Seperation IS what the racisits want. It used to be called segregation, and people fought long and hard to end it. Now we are seeing voluntary segregation. This can't be a good thing.