Serious Playstation 3 Problem

o&a addict84

Apr 5, 2007
Buffalo, New York
My family bought the new 40GB PS3 in November and life was good untill a month later it started freezing up ever so often.:huh: I was a little worried, but I didn't know what to do about it. It kept doing that until yesterday when I was playing Madden 08(which my brother just bought) and then it totally froze up and said "Data Error" or something.:icon_conf:wtf: At first I thought it was just the disc so I cleaned it off and tried it again. Nothing. So I try the other games. The PS3 wouldn't even recognize them, but for some reason it would still play DVDs.:cussing I wake up today and my brother tells me last night it stopped playing DVDs too.:arrrh: So the brainless wonder that my brother is, he thinks it doesn't matter and deletes pretty much all the data on the hard drive. So today we have a $400 paperweight in our livingroom.:mad5:

I have no idea what do with it.:idontknow Should I open it up and try to clean it out if it's just a dust problem? Should we try to take it back to Best Buy and see if we can have it fixed or replaced? Or should we just try to get our money back, maybe get a different system and fire off hate mail at Sony?:help1:

o&a addict84

Apr 5, 2007
Buffalo, New York
I just hope we still have everything it came with it. I don't want to get screwed...again. When my first PS2 crapped out the store wouldn't take it back because we didn't have every last original thing that was with it.

W

waa waa bogey

waa waa impossible:mad4:

Snake2k9

C'mon Sonnen.
Apr 20, 2004
Staten Island
You can put in a different harddrive in PS3,it just has be the same size and SATA. It could have been that the stock harddrive crapped out but if you have the best buy repair plan then take it back to them.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I have no idea what do with it.:idontknow Should I open it up and try to clean it out if it's just a dust problem? Should we try to take it back to Best Buy and see if we can have it fixed or replaced? Or should we just try to get our money back, maybe get a different system and fire off hate mail at Sony?:help1:
First off, quit being a Panicky Pete and contact Best Buy or Sony before you start opening up your console. If you have a faulty system, you'd think that it should be repairable/replaceable for no charge if it was bought just back in November.

CrisK

Oct 4, 2004
Philadelphia
Take it back to Best Buy and if they won't take it back, give Sony a call. It should still be under the Manufacturer's warranty.

DON'T open the console because then both Best Buy and Sony can deny the warranty repair.

It sucks that it broke, but it is a piece of electronic equipment and they break sometimes. Shit happens. Good luck.

Jul 26, 2005
Central PA
please enjoy this fine selection of videos for your viewing pleasure:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kbumae5CUQ[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVWPxuchKRU[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gUOE48UVeU[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlFK341VqjQ[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhJZ66uW6Cs[/media]

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
When I finally breakdown and buy a PS3, I'll be sure to get the return warranty from BB like I did for the M$ 360.

Chester'sLiver

ESD is Wackbag's hero!
Jan 28, 2005
New Jersey
Just take it back to the store and then if they don't take it back call Sony like people said...I have had my PS3 for awhile now and no problems....Of course I haven't played it as much as my XBOX, but still no problems....

KevSlider

EYE HAVE YOU
Wackbag Staff
Sep 30, 2004
Indiana
I didn't read all of that but I'm guessing your PS3 was broken right out of the box. That happened to my Xbox 360 elite. I played it for one day then it gave me some weird error where the xbox logo would come up then immediately restart. I took it back and the clerk looked at me saying "see, you should get the warranty for these like I told you yesterday." I didn't only because M$ had that 3 year warranty extension thing. Anyway, the real reason I replied to this topic is because I've never seen someone use so many emotion icons in my life in one post! We get it, you're perplexed and angry over it.

BigWilly

Just thoughts, no prayers.
Dec 11, 2004
Lakewood, CO
Anyway, the real reason I replied to this topic is because I've never seen someone use so many emotion icons in my life in one post! We get it, you're perplexed and angry over it.
Exactly. I thought I was playing the video game while I was reading the post. Trippy.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Just take your shit back to the store and stop freaking out. You're fucked however if you don't have the receipt.

It makes no sense why your brother would try erasing shit from the hard drive though.

You wond the unlucky lottery, congrats :D The PS3 has like a .8%-1% failure rate. Lucky you!

Jul 26, 2005
Central PA
Just take your shit back to the store and stop freaking out. You're fucked however if you don't have the receipt.

It makes no sense why your brother would try erasing shit from the hard drive though.

You wond the unlucky lottery, congrats :D The PS3 has like a .8%-1% failure rate. Lucky you!
tell that to all the people on youtube...there are a shitload of videos starring broken PS3's

o&a addict84

Apr 5, 2007
Buffalo, New York
I've had systems give out on me before, but that was after at least a couple of years. I'm just pissed that it would do this only after two months. You would think Sony could have worked out all the bugs within the first year. The only reason I've opened up a system before is because my last PS2 wouldn't play certain games. I asked my buddy what I should do. He had some experience with this so he suggested we open it and clean if there is any dust. Besides, the warrenty was well past expired at that point. When we opened it there was enough dust that you would think it was sitting in a basement the whole time. After it was cleaned it worked good as new.

Opening the PS3 is just a worst case scenario if it can't be fixed professionally, returned, or sold.

Grem

Enjoying life one T-Cell at a time.
Oct 4, 2006
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
Just go back to Best Buy and tell them to replace it. The same thing you do when you buy anything that's faulty.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
tell that to all the people on youtube...there are a shitload of videos starring broken PS3's
What does that mean? It means that there is a disproportional amount of people putting broken systems on YouTube.

I'm just telling you what the numbers have been reported. There is a 1% failure rate. And if you put out 5,000,000 systems then you're going to have thousands of failures in there.

It's not anything like the purported 70% failure rate of another system though :action-sm

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
I've had systems give out on me before, but that was after at least a couple of years. I'm just pissed that it would do this only after two months. You would think Sony could have worked out all the bugs within the first year. The only reason I've opened up a system before is because my last PS2 wouldn't play certain games. I asked my buddy what I should do. He had some experience with this so he suggested we open it and clean if there is any dust. Besides, the warrenty was well past expired at that point. When we opened it there was enough dust that you would think it was sitting in a basement the whole time. After it was cleaned it worked good as new.

Opening the PS3 is just a worst case scenario if it can't be fixed professionally, returned, or sold.
My warranty on the PS3 expires in a few days and I have one of the original 60GB from release. The only problem I've had doesn't have anything to do with the PS3, it's my fucking TV giving a half-assed attempt to switch over to the HDMI jack and see what is being shown. I will just have to go to HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 and back to HDMI 1 for it to refresh.

o&a addict84

Apr 5, 2007
Buffalo, New York
Anyway, the real reason I replied to this topic is because I've never seen someone use so many emotion icons in my life in one post! We get it, you're perplexed and angry over it.
Exactly. I thought I was playing the video game while I was reading the post. Trippy.
So, I like using them. Sue me.:icon_razz:tounge:;p:icon_mrgr

Jul 26, 2005
Central PA
What does that mean? It means that there is a disproportional amount of people putting broken systems on YouTube.

I'm just telling you what the numbers have been reported. There is a 1% failure rate. And if you put out 5,000,000 systems then you're going to have thousands of failures in there.

It's not anything like the purported 70% failure rate of another system though :action-sm
i love this one:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHcQvzn8OlQ[/media]

o&a addict84

Apr 5, 2007
Buffalo, New York

Yeah. Haha. A busted system and a retarded brother.