Service engine soon vs Check engine light

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
I just bought my son a 2005 Explorer for running around town. The service engine soon light is on, and I thought this was their version of a CEL, but it has one of those as well. What is the difference, and will the OBD give codes for the SES light? I need to run it over to Autozone and have them pull any codes on it.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
I just bought my son a 2005 Explorer for running around town. The service engine soon light is on, and I thought this was their version of a CEL, but it has one of those as well. What is the difference, and will the OBD give codes for the SES light? I need to run it over to Autozone and have them pull any codes on it.
means its time for an oil change. it will come on every 5kmi. if its anything like my stepdads f250 that is

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
means its time for an oil change. it will come on every 5kmi. if its anything like my stepdads f250 that is
yeah, search online, there is usually a key in accessory position/odometer reset way to reset that. My tacoma starts blinking the anti-skid light at 4500mi and then it's solid at 5k. The first time it did it I was all WTF baffled

5skin

May 14, 2010
the woods
For your sake I hope you've got other children. If not you might want to get started.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Quickest fix...

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
That model shouldn't have an oil change indicator. If it's an AWD model
the 2nd light is usually a warning indicator for that. Other than that it
normally has one or the other.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Pulled the codes at O'Reillys today....only item that coded was a faulty thermostat. Seems like an easy enough fix.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
Wait till the door ajar light comes on and kills your battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Pulled the codes at O'Reillys today....only item that coded was a faulty thermostat. Seems like an easy enough fix.
It isn't too bad. My only suggestion is replace the housing too.
They are made of plastic and tend to crack and leak after being
messed with. It's worth the few extra bucks to not get stuck
when it leaks and you overheat the motor.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
It isn't too bad. My only suggestion is replace the housing too.
They are made of plastic and tend to crack and leak after being
messed with. It's worth the few extra bucks to not get stuck
when it leaks and you overheat the motor.
There's a reason that body style is called the Exploder. The glass hatch on the trunk always has a crack at the bottom, they chew up wheel bearings, motor leaks everywhere, the rear door sensor always shits out and shows the door as open, another fun thing is when the battery gets low from the dome light being on it triggers the car alarm randomly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
^^^^^^
Damn, you are getting short in your old age.......
Well it is kind of hard to diagnose anything with out at minimum a code reader, also maybe breeze through the owners manual, there is a few different lights that mean different things
An “engine symbol” that is yellow is generally an OBD2 emissions code if it’s not running “bad” usually you can ignore it for a little while
A “check engine” light in yellow is usually the same thing, in red, that’s bad
Then there is
“Service required” that is usually just a service reminder, like change your oil
“Service engine soon” in yellow same as check engine, but also in red it’s an immediate issue
“Check gauges” is yellow some times red and always bad.

Read your owners manual

Sct Ptersns Twn

Looking 4 a New 1st Mate
Dec 4, 2005
Gloucestershire
Well it is kind of hard to diagnose anything with out at minimum a code reader, also maybe breeze through the owners manual, there is a few different lights that mean different things
An “engine symbol” that is yellow is generally an OBD2 emissions code if it’s not running “bad” usually you can ignore it for a little while
A “check engine” light in yellow is usually the same thing, in red, that’s bad
Then there is
“Service required” that is usually just a service reminder, like change your oil
“Service engine soon” in yellow same as check engine, but also in red it’s an immediate issue
“Check gauges” is yellow some times red and always bad.

Read your owners manual
Heee's baaaa-aaaaack.......

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk