Seven injured at Giants Stadium after Patriots Game

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
An escalator malfunctioned and injured seven people at Giants Stadium last night, shortly after the Giants lost to the undefeated Patriots, 38-35, in the final game of the regular season.

One of the injured fans appeared to have a fractured leg, while others had scrapes and bruises, said Jim Minisch, executive vice president of facilities for the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority.

Two other two fans were apparently more seriously injured, but Minish did not have further details on their condition.

The seven people were taken to Hackensack University Medical Center, where they were still being treated today.

Hospital spokeswoman Nancy Radwin would not reveal any details regarding the injuries.

"I can confirm that there are multiple victims,'' she said.

The escalator at Gate A apparently failed at the bottom steps, state police Lt. Jim Crann said. The escalator runs from the stadium's upper tier to the ground level, and Crann said it appeared that some bottom steps became bent, causing some fans to sustain foot and leg injuries.

According to Minisch, the incident happened about 10 minutes after the game ended. He said there was no immediate explanation why the problem occurred.

The elevator will be closed for today's game between the Jets and Chiefs.

FullBallz

in your mouth
Mar 5, 2006
North Arlington, NJ
I was about 10 feet away from getting on the escalator when this happened. You could see the reflection on the covering above the escalators and the left one just started going about 5x faster than the one on the right and then all you heard was a noise like a dumpster being dropped. I honestly thought that's what it was. Turns out that it was the emergency shut off. People were being piled up on the bottom of the escalator. Really scary stuff. One girl broke her ankle and another guy got his foot stuck. They pushed everyone out before I could see what the end result was. Hope everyone was OK. Those people are gonna be nice and rich after this thing that's for sure.

fkornre

Boogity Boogity Boogity...Let's go racing boys...
Nov 4, 2006
monroe twp, nj
luckily i was at gate D....and we used the ramp to walk down...

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
I guess the escalator was a Jets fan.

el oh el

yech...