OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Sex accused coach quitting tennis, she liked gurls

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MJMANDALAY, Oct 11, 2007.

MJMANDALAY Registered User

Jan 26, 2005
    A tennis coach on trial for sexually abusing a 13-year-old pupil has decided to quit the game, a court has heard.
    Claire Lyte, 29, from Shirley, Solihull in the West Midlands, denies five counts of sexual activity with a child.

Miss Lyte coached the girl at a Lawn Tennis Association Academy in Loughborough in Leicestershire about two years ago.

Her father, Colin Lyte, told Liverpool Crown Court her career is over. "She has decided enough is enough."

Asked by prosecution barrister Peter Davies what he thought of the time the defendant spent with the girl, Mr Lyte said that his daughter had spent a lot of time with other girls of a similar age throughout her coaching career without a problem.

The prosecution alleges that Miss Lyte and the girl were discovered naked in bed together in October 2005 by the child's mother, who did not report her to police until August 2006.

Verbal warning

Miss Lyte denies the encounter and said nothing sexual ever occurred between them but the mother fabricated the allegation as she was upset her daughter's tennis career was coming to an end.

On 3 October 2006 Miss Lyte told her parents she was in trouble with her bosses at the LTA for spending too much time with the girl and faced possible disciplinary action.

She had already received one verbal warning.

That evening, Mr Lyte, who lives with his wife and the coach at their home in Shirley, Solihull, West Midlands, phoned the 13-year-old and her mother to call a meeting between them the following day.

'Lovely kid'

Describing the meeting, at Knutsford service station on the M6, the despatch manager said: "Claire talked about the problem at the academy and what it could mean and the girl's mother seemed quite concerned about the perceived allegation.

"She was spending too much time with Claire and it must stop."

He added: "I was concerned for my daughter's livelihood and how hard she had worked for it.

"To have thrown it away like this would have been disastrous.

"Claire is a lovely kid, not just because she is my daughter."

Mr Lyte said the meeting was amicable and denied threatening the girl's mother.

Miss Lyte, who was once ranked in tennis's top 500 until injury ended her career, was summoned to the LTA's headquarters on 31 October 2006 where she was given a final written warning.

The trial continues.
  2. Don the Radio Guy

Mar 30, 2006

Who saw that coming?
  3. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!

Jan 14, 2002
  4. weakside

weakside He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.

Dec 9, 2004
    I not only give this coach the benefit of the doubt on this, I think the mother’s story is absolute bullshit.

Those in coaching (Hudson, you probably know this better than anyone) know that there are some parents that one they find out their child isn’t going to be the “star” of the team freak out. I have seen coaches accused of everything from not being able to recognize undeveloped talent to even racism. I even know of one coach who was the entire focus of a school board meeting and almost lost his teaching job until he agreed to change the offense to better suit the running back of the team. (The kid’s father, not coincidentally, had donated a lot of money to the school over the years.)

So in this case you have a disgruntled parent who knows the coach is gay and has been attacked by her employer for that very reason used that stereotype in accusing her of inappropriate contact with her child.

Mom discovers both her child and the coach naked in their bed and doesn’t report it until almost a year later? Bullshit.

They got what they wanted, the coach quit. No need to pile this crap on.