OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Sharpton chides Cheney over Confederate flag flap

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MJMANDALAY, Oct 30, 2007.

1. MJMANDALAY

MJMANDALAY Registered User

Nobody got shot, but Vice President Cheney still fired up controversy Monday when he went hunting at a private club that hangs the Confederate flag.

A Daily News photographer captured the 3-by-5 foot Dixie flag affixed to a door in the garage of the Clove Valley Gun and Rod Club in upstate Union Vale, N.Y.

"It's appalling for the VP to be at a private club displaying the flag of lynching, hate and murder," said the Rev. Al Sharpton. "It's the epitome of an insult."

Sharpton demanded Cheney distance himself from the exclusive club where the Stars and Bars was flown, and said he might hold a prayer vigil there.

Club officials threatened a reporter with arrest when he sought comment.

The flag fiasco is especially upsetting because blacks have recently been subjected to an upsurge of racial threats, including nooses left in Jena, La., and Columbia University, he said.

"This is an outrage - he ought to leave immediately," Sharpton told The News. "He ought to apologize to the American people for being there in the first place."

"That flag brings back painful memories of the old, old South," said Elouise Maxey, 59, president of the Northern Dutchess County branch of the NAACP. "I'm disappointed that he would go."

Cheney spokeswoman Lee Anne McBride said Cheney did not know anything about the controversy.

"The VP did not see the flag and neither did anyone on staff," said McBride.

The veep earlier left traffic snarled - but little ill will - as he rolled into the bucolic shooting club with a 15-car convoy.

Helicopters buzzed overhead and cops blocked off roads around the spectacular 2,500-acre preserve, where Cheney visited once before in 2001.

The place is complete with a picturesque lodge decorated with stuffed game.

"As long as he doesn't shoot somebody in the a--," Bill Tryon, 48, said he was fine with Cheney's visit. Tryon lives in the area.

There was no repeat of last year's snafu, when Cheney shot an old pal in the face during a quail hunt in south Texas.

"It should be water under the bridge," said Ralph Mondello, who is running for a spot on the local town council.

"We're happy to provide him with a day of hunting in Dutchess County," added Union Vale Supervisor Lisette Hitsman.

Still, some Dutchess County residents blasted the vice president for taking part in what they called a canned hunt.

Farm-bred pheasants were released on the preserve 24 hours before Cheney arrived, making them easy targets for the hunting party.

"The way they hunt, I'm not fond of," said Linda Smith, 52, who runs a local preschool. "It's not what I would call a real sportsmanlike activity."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/10/29/2007-10-29_sharpton_chides_cheney_over_confederate_.html

[​IMG]

2. martianvirus

martianvirus READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!

Dick is a good boy. w00t!

3. MJMANDALAY

MJMANDALAY Registered User

:icon_eek:

4. YourAmishDaddy

Two pieces of shit. They cancel out.

5. FellowTraveler

FellowTraveler Frank Reynolds is my hero

I love how that CUNT Sharpton brings up Jena when it was proven that the nooses were not meant to be warning or racist.

6. MrAbovePar

MrAbovePar En Taro Anthony

How can blacks remember painful memories from before they were born?

7. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Fucking scumbags like Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are in every generation to spread the hate to a whole new group of young skulls full of mush.

Cheney may not be a very likeable guy, but he's 100 times the man Al Sharpton is.

8. TheDrip

TheDrip I'm bi-winning.

This isn't Russia. Wait, is this Russia?

I thought in America were allowed to spend our time doing what we'd like as long as no laws are broken. I'm sure in the time it took Al to say those words 1000 black teens killed 1000 black teens around America.....but this is apparently more important.

I think in order for this whole thing to blow over, Sharpton should be invited for his own private hunt at the offending club.

(and 'accidentally' shot)

9. Xyn

Xyn 3 letters, 0 meaning

Both of them are 100 times the guy most people are.

"Heh, hmmm. They should join me at Nathans hotdog eating contest. Hmm, heh, meh" /Pat

10. Sam_Adams

Sam_Adams Banned

It's not illegal to own that flag and just because you own one doesn't mean that you hate naggers.

I don't know how it is up there in the North, but down here in the South it's not a big deal. People understand that it's just a Southern symbol now. Just because they carried the flag during the war doesn't mean it stands for hanging naggers by the neck on trees like strange fruit.

If the naggers know so much about that flag (the fourth Confederate flag) then would they be offended by the original Confederate flag? The "Stars and Bars?"

[​IMG]

Or maybe they don't know it exists. It was eventually replaced by the Navy Jack/Confederate Flag simply because the first versions had too much white on them and were easily soiled. So the red versions didn't look as dirty from being carried in battle.

Anyway, the point is that it's not someting to fucking worry about. They need to be worrying about having 70% of their children born to single mothers that are destined to be impoverished and have a large portion become involved in a life of crime.

I'm just waiting for that motherfucker to die from a heart attack or a car wreck or something. He just needs to fucking ind his own business and stop trying to make an issue of everything.

11. nikoloslvy

nikoloslvy I wear my sunglasses at night...Anyone want fries?
    Donator

no im not writing a book but that fact that jessie can get on tv but rev jessie lee peterson cant still astounds me.
    http://www.wackbag.com/showthread.php?t=65433

12. Sam_Adams

Sam_Adams Banned

One generation ago my family was basically made up of share croppers on both sides which were more or less indentured to the people they were leasing their farmland from at a high price with low yields.

They were literally dirt poor living off of the animals they slaughtered and the clothes they made.

So, I don't have any compassion for these motherfuckers making decent livings or living off of the government claiming to be in pain because 160 years ago there was a fucking fight over blacks being slaves.

They can't feel like victims about descendants 160 years ago when they don't even know who their fathers are. Fuck em.

13. weakside

weakside He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.

One asshole is having a problem with another asshole. Outstanding.